PDA

View Full Version : Just finished my BMT hike

10-K
04-24-2011, 22:33
I just got back from thru hiking the BMT....

Great trip - lots to tell when I get rested up. I'm going to put report on Postholer in the next day or so....

Took me 11.5 days from the AT terminus to touching the AT sign at Davenport Gap, not counting losing half day from hiking 3 hours in the wrong direction and taking most of one day off.

Great trail - from Springer to GSMNP I passed exactly 2 people wearing backpacks - one a few miles from Springer and another hiker on an overnighter just north of Cherry Log.

It was quite the adventure - I hit the AT at Davenport Gap, spent the night at Standing Bear Farm, hiked to Hot Springs the next day and from Hot Springs to Devil's Fork Gap today where I had my wife pick up me. I've hiked from DFG to Erwin so many times I just couldn't bear to do it again as tired as I am.

Nature Boy
04-24-2011, 22:44
Glad you're hike went well....great time of year to be on trail.

Bearpaw
04-24-2011, 23:13
Was the 3 hours in the wrong direction in the Big Frog Wilderness or the Citico-Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness?

Looking forward to hearing more from you.

SGT Rock
04-25-2011, 03:38
Wow, that was a fast hike. I can't wait to hear the story about where you went wrong, and I want to hear about the stream crossings - while you were out we almost lost one at Slickrock Creek.

10-K
04-25-2011, 08:07
I've started my writeup here.. http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=2f9448373dbf3d2e0b0413f2813ea9 d9&entry_id=21227

I wish I had carried some paper and pen to keep a daily log... It's amazing what you forget.

BTW, Slickrock was between my waist and crotch - I like to got swept down the durn creek - worse ford I've ever made - sheer luck I made it across. And that's after getting delayed for a day. If I had gotten there when I had planned I would have been stuck there - and probably would have gotten impatient and tried to cross anyway - to my demise.

Noland Creek in GSMNP on the south side of #62 was difficult as well.

I hit both within 24 hours of hard rain.

royalusa
04-25-2011, 08:13
Welcome home! Bet a stocked refrig, a shower and a bed in an climate control house feels good right now.

jbwood5
04-25-2011, 08:48
I'm enjoying the report already. Next week I hope to complete the GSM section from Twenty Mile to Davenport. I did the GA -TN section in 2007 and did get lost a couple of times, but not quite that bad. It really gets discouraging when that happens.
Thanks for posting your experience. It brings back good memories. You'll get to re-read your report 10+ years later and really appreciate that you took the time to write it.

John Wood (Just John)
Seminole, FL

royalusa
04-25-2011, 08:55
I wish I had carried some paper and pen to keep a daily log... It's amazing what you forget.

Now that you are back home, a great way to begin refueling that CBD (compulsive buying disorder ;)) of yours would be to invest in a digital voice recorder. We got one for our AT thru-hike and have used it for both the AT and BMT. Weighs about 2 ounces and uses one AAA battery. We love it! It's much quicker and easier than journaling by hand, especially if all you are wanting to do is crash after a long day.

Montana Mac
04-25-2011, 09:06
Now that you are back home, a great way to begin refueling that CBD (compulsive buying disorder ;)) of yours would be to invest in a digital voice recorder. We got one for our AT thru-hike and have used it for both the AT and BMT. Weighs about 2 ounces and uses one AAA battery. We love it! It's much quicker and easier than journaling by hand, especially if all you are wanting to do is crash after a long day.

Not to steal the thread but what one did you use - PM if you prefer not to contine this thread hijack :o

Thanks

Raul Perez
04-25-2011, 09:40
glad you are back safe! I'll be reading your report on postholer shortly

hikingshoes
04-25-2011, 09:50
10-K, Glad your back and sounds like you had a good time. Ill check your report.HS

WingedMonkey
04-25-2011, 11:38

My camera has digital voice recorder built into it. Comes in quite handy.

10-K
04-25-2011, 12:37

With the exception of the Lakeshore Trail I enjoyed hiking the BMT in the park tremendously, especially the Mt. Sterling area. Note that the bridge is out a few miles south of Enloe Creek campsite and that was a good 2' deep swiftly flowing branch when I crossed it.

The only nit I have to pick with the park section is that the trail should either just end (or begin) at Big Creek or if connecting with the AT is of psychological importance it should take the Chestnut Branch Trail from Big Creek over to the AT just south of Davenport Gap.

Getting dumped onto the road at Big Creek and then having to slog uphill on a dirt road for 1.4 miles to get to Davenport Gap to complete the trail was kind of a bummer actually. I was sorely tempted just to walk out to I-40 on the road and skip the uphill road walk just to get to Davenport Gap for an "official" finish.

Anyway, I guess it wasn't that big of a deal in the overall scheme of things....

Trailbender
04-25-2011, 12:46
Sounds good, I am going to do the BMT instead of the beginning of the AT when I get on there. The vagrancy thing, were they pretty easygoing about it or did they give you a hard time? It seems like towns near the trail would be used to seeing hikers, from what you said, Reliance would be a good first resupply. I ordered Sgt Rock's guide, sounds like it will be quite useful.

10-K
04-25-2011, 12:46
One thing is for sure - next time I hike the BMT I'm just going to make a right on Hwy 129 at the dam and walk right to Deal's Gap and skip the uphill bushwhack following the yellow ribbons and the groundhog day hike on that dirt road that goes around the mountain with every turn looking like the one before (warmup for the Lakeshore Trail I guess....) before finally spitting me out on the highway where I played "Dodge-a-cycle" all the way to Deal's Gap. :)

Tip 1: The Motorcycle Motel being right on the trail is great for a mail drop and a place to stay overnight. Food from the grill is pricy but pretty good. They were very friendly and didn't have a problem at all with a smelly hiker dude dropping in. I called from up the trail and reserved a room for the night.

Tip 2: I left the next morning at 5:00 AM sharp and only 2 cars passed me between the hotel and 20 Mile Ranger Station. Much better than during daylight hours when it's a race track.

10-K
04-25-2011, 12:53
I'll say this and stop.... I'll write about it on Postholer but in case you don't read that I want to say that I'm very grateful to Brenda and Rick Harris (and Jake) for saving my hike.

I hurt my leg somewhere around the 4th day and by the time I got to Green Cove I could hardly walk. I called Rick (got his # from Sgt Rock's guide) and he was out of town but his wife, Brenda, answered an even though she too had been out of town all week and had just gotten home drove all the way to Green Cove to pick me up, took me to Tellico Plains to the CVS for an ace bandage and then offered to let me spend the night with them.

Turns out I spent the night with them and they spent their Sunday taking me to the ER in Sweetwater, TN to get my leg x-rayed (I was sure I cracked a bone), then to get my prescription filled, then to eat and finally back to the trail.

Without their help I would have had to bag the trip and came home. They are super nice people and if you ever have a chance to meet them don't pass it up.

Turns out Rick and Brenda wrote one of the guides I was using. They know the BMT better than most anyone I would guess.

Magilla
04-25-2011, 18:10
Met you at the Hiker Hostel the night before your hike. Glad your home and also great to hear of people like Rick and Brenda.

10-K
04-25-2011, 18:16
Met you at the Hiker Hostel the night before your hike. Glad your home and also great to hear of people like Rick and Brenda.

Good to meet you too and enjoyed talking with you - did you head on up to Neel's?

I liked the Hiker Hostel - it's a well run hostel for sure.

SGT Rock
04-25-2011, 19:17
I've started my writeup here.. http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?sid=2f9448373dbf3d2e0b0413f2813ea9 d9&entry_id=21227

I'm going to go read that in a minute.

BTW, Slickrock was between my waist and crotch - I like to got swept down the durn creek - worse ford I've ever made - sheer luck I made it across. And that's after getting delayed for a day. If I had gotten there when I had planned I would have been stuck there - and probably would have gotten impatient and tried to cross anyway - to my demise.

Noland Creek in GSMNP on the south side of #62 was difficult as well.

I hit both within 24 hours of hard rain.
Good to know. On the 17th a pair of hikers attempted that crossing, the lead one got swept down and his partner fished him out and got him dried out before he went totally hypothermic. The ended up walking back up the Farr Gap and calling for a bail-out. Rick was home that time - he dropped them back off at 20 mile so they skipped some of that stuff you had to do.

With the exception of the Lakeshore Trail I enjoyed hiking the BMT in the park tremendously, especially the Mt. Sterling area. Note that the bridge is out a few miles south of Enloe Creek campsite and that was a good 2' deep swiftly flowing branch when I crossed it.Also good to know. I should be in that area around the 1st. I know the bridge you are talking about.

The only nit I have to pick with the park section is that the trail should either just end (or begin) at Big Creek or if connecting with the AT is of psychological importance it should take the Chestnut Branch Trail from Big Creek over to the AT just south of Davenport Gap.

Getting dumped onto the road at Big Creek and then having to slog uphill on a dirt road for 1.4 miles to get to Davenport Gap to complete the trail was kind of a bummer actually. I was sorely tempted just to walk out to I-40 on the road and skip the uphill road walk just to get to Davenport Gap for an "official" finish.I agree. I personally recommend anyone that ain't a purist just do the road walk from the ranger station down to the river past where Mountain Momma;s use to be and have a nice river walk to the interstate underpass rather than that stupid uphill climb. I'd like to see (someday) the northern terminus extend and end at Max Patch.

Sounds good, I am going to do the BMT instead of the beginning of the AT when I get on there. The vagrancy thing, were they pretty easygoing about it or did they give you a hard time? It seems like towns near the trail would be used to seeing hikers, from what you said, Reliance would be a good first resupply. I ordered Sgt Rock's guide, sounds like it will be quite useful.Most folks have no problems, but it does occasionally happen. As more folks hike the trail and act like good neighbors they will come around.

One thing is for sure - next time I hike the BMT I'm just going to make a right on Hwy 129 at the dam and walk right to Deal's Gap and skip the uphill bushwhack following the yellow ribbons and the groundhog day hike on that dirt road that goes around the mountain with every turn looking like the one before (warmup for the Lakeshore Trail I guess....) before finally spitting me out on the highway where I played "Dodge-a-cycle" all the way to Deal's Gap. :)We plan to do something about that section. Someday.

Tip 1: The Motorcycle Motel being right on the trail is great for a mail drop and a place to stay overnight. Food from the grill is pricy but pretty good. They were very friendly and didn't have a problem at all with a smelly hiker dude dropping in. I called from up the trail and reserved a room for the night.

Tip 2: I left the next morning at 5:00 AM sharp and only 2 cars passed me between the hotel and 20 Mile Ranger Station. Much better than during daylight hours when it's a race track.
Good advice.

I'll say this and stop.... I'll write about it on Postholer but in case you don't read that I want to say that I'm very grateful to Brenda and Rick Harris (and Jake) for saving my hike.

They are great people. Rick has co-authored both of our current section guides (one is still at the printer - GA, and it is due out soon) and is going to be the co-author on the last one which will cover the Smokies.

Magilla
04-25-2011, 19:23
Yep, I went to Neels and finished my section hike to Dicks Creek. Back home, back to work wishing everyday I was back on the trail.:rolleyes:

Mags
04-25-2011, 19:24
The BMT was a great way to revisit the southern Apps. Awesome work by the BMTA on this gem of a trail!

SGT Rock
04-25-2011, 19:25
In case anyone has read this and hasn't gone to his journal yet - you need to. It is one of the best reading journals I have seen in a while. Excellent writing 10-K.

10-K
04-25-2011, 19:27
Sounds good, I am going to do the BMT instead of the beginning of the AT when I get on there. The vagrancy thing, were they pretty easygoing about it or did they give you a hard time? It seems like towns near the trail would be used to seeing hikers, from what you said, Reliance would be a good first resupply. I ordered Sgt Rock's guide, sounds like it will be quite useful.

No, they didn't give me a hard time at all - didn't even ask to see ID.

They asked me what I was doing and I told them I was hiking the BMT - I asked them if they knew about the "Hiker Crossing" signs on the highway about 2 miles from where we were... He said he did and I said that's where I was headed.

I actually asked if they'd mind giving me a ride down there but they said they had to get back to the office. :)

The PO at Cherry Log is a fine place for a resupply - Reliance is about a hundred miles up the trail. I tried not to carry more than 15 lbs at any given time so I didn't want to go that long before resupply though I did wind up around 18 lbs going into GSMNP with 5 days of food.

WingedMonkey
04-25-2011, 19:42
From your Posthole:

I cut off the trail to go to Martin's Dixie Depot where I ran into the owner, a nasty little man, giving a lady hell over where to best get cell reception to call for help about car trouble. I heard him tell her she could drive off a cliff if she didn't believe him..... When I got close he said, "We're closed and we're going to stay closed and if you voted for Obama you can thank yourself that we're not open." I said I just wanted some water and he said, "We don't have any.". Nasty little man.... The whole place is for sale, maybe that's why his fuse is so short. Know any deep pockets looking for a new home?

:welcome

royalusa
04-25-2011, 19:42
In case anyone has read this and hasn't gone to his journal yet - you need to. It is one of the best reading journals I have seen in a while. Excellent writing 10-K.

I agree SGT Rock...except for the point where he starts off with "a shuttle for a 3 hour trip to the ER ... but more on that later" and then leaves you hanging on page 4 with "to be continued" and we never hear the gory details. Is this like a TV show, where we have to wait a week for the continuation? The suspense is killing me! It's like he thinks he should be working or something after 2 weeks on the trail. Hmmmm....perhaps we do have to take a back seat and wait. (JK 10-K! .... Great journal...can't wait to read the continuation!)

EastCoastFeastCoast
04-25-2011, 20:05
Glad you had a good hike and ended up home safe. What's the next trip?! I know you're already thinking about it!

10-K
04-25-2011, 20:57
I agree SGT Rock...except for the point where he starts off with "a shuttle for a 3 hour trip to the ER ... but more on that later" and then leaves you hanging on page 4 with "to be continued" and we never hear the gory details. Is this like a TV show, where we have to wait a week for the continuation? The suspense is killing me! It's like he thinks he should be working or something after 2 weeks on the trail. Hmmmm....perhaps we do have to take a back seat and wait. (JK 10-K! .... Great journal...can't wait to read the continuation!)

I'm up to entering GSMNP now....

As I've written I've remembered a lot more - I guess my last entry will be "Cool things I forgot to mention". :)

10-K
04-25-2011, 21:01
From your Posthole:

The whole place is for sale, maybe that's why his fuse is so short. Know any deep pockets looking for a new home?

:welcome

I normally don't comment on people with an attitude figuring everyone has a bad day but that he was yelling at a lady traveling alone with her daughter over cell phone reception I thought was a bit much.

Belittling someone in front of their children is more than I can bear.

He was, and is, a nasty little man in my book. Sorry.

WingedMonkey
04-25-2011, 21:05
I normally don't comment on people with an attitude figuring everyone has a bad day but that he was yelling at a lady traveling alone with her daughter over cell phone reception I thought was a bit much.

Belittling someone in front of their children is more than I can bear.

He was, and is, a nasty little man in my book. Sorry.

No reason to say you are sorry, you just reported facts. Maybe why he has to get out of the business.

Buffalo Skipper
04-26-2011, 14:19
I have been waiting for you to complete your trek, hoping you would give a good write-up. I was not disappointed; glad to hear it went so well, in spite of your complications. :)

Bati
04-26-2011, 15:14
Sounds like fun! Given recent history at Cherry Log, you can't be surprised that you were questioned, especially if you were seen at the PO before it opened. The folks there were very friendly, and one of the stores was interested in attracting more hikers. Anyone Northbound planning on picking up a maildrop late in the day should be aware that you're marking yourself as staying at the shelter not too far from here (and the only legal spot Northbound for miles).
You were lucky that Noland was so shallow. The footing on the Northern crossing is very poor and as you noted, it's a very swift current.
I was surprised about campsite 98. I stayed there alone on a Friday night in early May and it didn't have a lot of evidence of high impact like some other sites did (90, 74, 38).

Does anyone know how to convince the park service to put in two more bridges or at least officially mark the blue blaze loop as a high water alternative? I'd also love to know what it takes to get a bridge, highline for packs or high water trail around the slickrock crossing before someone ends up dying there.

royalusa
04-26-2011, 15:33
Given recent history at Cherry Log, you can't be surprised that you were questioned, especially if you were seen at the PO before it opened.

What's the "recent history of Cherry Log"?

SGT Rock
04-26-2011, 19:17
You were lucky that Noland was so shallow. The footing on the Northern crossing is very poor and as you noted, it's a very swift current.
I was surprised about campsite 98. I stayed there alone on a Friday night in early May and it didn't have a lot of evidence of high impact like some other sites did (90, 74, 38).
98 was pretty run down when I stayed there. I did have it to myself though.

Does anyone know how to convince the park service to put in two more bridges or at least officially mark the blue blaze loop as a high water alternative? I'd also love to know what it takes to get a bridge, highline for packs or high water trail around the slickrock crossing before someone ends up dying there.
The first part would be more money for trail maintenance, not just more money. Last year they got a big infusion of stimulus and it was spent on fixing roads and old buildings that had been ignored for years.

The last part, I don't know that one would ever be built. If it were, there is a good chance it wouldn't last anyway - that area was once rail bed and you can only find remnants of the old rail bed and bridges with very careful study, most of them have been removed by humans or weather, and the power of that creek when it rises would most likely wipe out just about anything they would build as a trail bridge. That area is wilderness and they won't even let us blaze that section, building structures is not going to happen. A hiker will simply have to be aware of the weather and re-route their trip if they want to keep moving during bad rainy periods. That would most likely involve going over Naked Ground and following that down to Yellowhammer Gap and skipping a large part of the BMT in that area.

liteweight
04-26-2011, 20:05
Nice report 10-k. Campsite #57 was pretty beat up the last time I was up there (all the horse traffic I guess). Laurel Gap shelter is depressing but they are remodeling it to look like the rest this fall.

10-K
04-28-2011, 07:26
98 was pretty run down when I stayed there. I did have it to myself though.

The first part would be more money for trail maintenance, not just more money. Last year they got a big infusion of stimulus and it was spent on fixing roads and old buildings that had been ignored for years.

The last part, I don't know that one would ever be built. If it were, there is a good chance it wouldn't last anyway - that area was once rail bed and you can only find remnants of the old rail bed and bridges with very careful study, most of them have been removed by humans or weather, and the power of that creek when it rises would most likely wipe out just about anything they would build as a trail bridge. That area is wilderness and they won't even let us blaze that section, building structures is not going to happen. A hiker will simply have to be aware of the weather and re-route their trip if they want to keep moving during bad rainy periods. That would most likely involve going over Naked Ground and following that down to Yellowhammer Gap and skipping a large part of the BMT in that area.

Regarding Slickrock it would be a major help just to string a rope up across the creek.

Anybody on the BMT that comes to that crossing over the next few days is going to be waiting a while, that's for sure.

jlb2012
04-28-2011, 08:36
there used to be a log across Slickrock Creek right at the crossing that one could brace themselves against but I suspect that log got washed away this year

SGT Rock
04-28-2011, 20:06
It got washed away in 2010.

jlb2012
04-28-2011, 20:56
dang - must be time for me to get my Corona and take it for a hike on that section ;-)

seriously though I'm worried how bad the trail got hit

SGT Rock
04-28-2011, 21:09
Me too. My wife went down to Twentymile today to drop off my truck. She said that the damage along US129 is amazing. Apparently one of those big power line towers that goes over the lake is bent over and there is an obvious path of destruction (maybe a tornado) near Happy Valley. After I get done with this hike I need to get out and check my section.

Bati
04-28-2011, 21:27
There is something we can all do to improve the BMT. Send the park service an email or a letter requesting that they do 3 things, only one of which has any significant cost.

1) allow BMT hikers to camp at restricted sites in a manner similar to AT hikers. This might encourage hikers to wait another day for the water to recede and it would be nice to have on the 30 mile stretch with no reservation-free spots.

2) create an official high-water route around the fords by sending northbound thru-hikers left left near campsite 64 onto Springhouse Branch, North on Forney Ridge, briefly down the AT, then back to the BMT on Noland Divide. The extra miles would be easier to do with a changed reservation system

3)alternatively, put two more bridges in at the dangerous fords on Noland Creek

Please make your voice heard at the park service, not just here! It's good to warn people here, but much better if we can actually convince the park to make a change. Why wait for the next event to happen at one of the BMT fords during dangerous conditions? We might not be able to alter Slickrock, but these three options in the park are all feasible even with restricted budgets.

Tipi Walter
04-30-2011, 00:03
I don't know how I missed you as I was trying to sit tight on the B Mac for several days during your trip.

I was at Sled Runner Gap on the 14th.
Down at the Brookshire crossing on the 15th.
On Sycamore Creek on the 16th.
On top of the Whigg on the 17th.
A couple miles past Cold Spring Gap at Barrel Gap on the 18th.
Crowders on Fodderstack Ridge on the 19th.

On the 20th I got tired of waiting and bailed off Big Stack Gap trail down to Slickrock Creek and up to the Hangover. I came out after 17 days and a day after the big storms in the Southeast. I found a place down in the Bald River wilderness by a big rock face and rode out the Wednesday storms.

10-K
04-30-2011, 07:33
I started on the 11th and finished the BMT on the 22nd. First night I was at Payne's Gap, the second the last legal spot before the Hwy (515?) that goe to Cherry Log. Subsequent nights run together but I crossed Whiggs Meadow and spent the night at Cold Spring Gap on the 17th.

Sorry I missed you - hurting my leg was a major distraction. It looks like we barely missed each other on the 17th.

globetruck
05-22-2011, 22:32
With the exception of the Lakeshore Trail I enjoyed hiking the BMT in the park tremendously...

Just curious - what don't you like about the lakeshore trail? I'm planning on doing it next week. Perhaps I'll reconsider.

Thanks!

jbwood5
05-23-2011, 11:02
I'm sure 10K will come back with his opinion, but I didn't think it was all that bad. Unfortunately there were some trees across the trail a couple of weeks ago from an earlier storm but hopefully those have been cut. The good thing about that is it cut the horse traffic down in a few places. You don't get to see the lake that often at first. There are a few rolling hills but nothing that tough. Toward the Bryson City end, I thought the trail was pretty nice and the tunnel, although not attractive, is an interesting piece of work with an interesting history behind it. When I was eating at Anthonys Pzza in Bryson City, some old guy recognized me as a hiker and started talking about the area and mentioned that he was born right near the house you pass on the trail. He was one of the families that had to relocate when the TVA damed up the river to make the lake.

I think you'll be OK with the trail. It may be damp and muggy and there will be some poison ivy to watch out for... and possibly a few minor wet areas, but in general, I think it is a nice enough section.

Just John
Seminole, FL

SGT Rock
05-23-2011, 19:05
I enjoy the Lakeshore Trail, if you look around while you are hiking you can see some traces of the old settlements in that area. It has plenty of water, but it never seems to be a nice cruising trail - it always seems like it should be easier than it is.

10-K
05-23-2011, 21:08
I didn't like the Lakeshore Trail very much because it felt like the same scene over and over again for hours.

Basically, you're walking clockwise around the lake at the same elevation - it's not close enough to the water to live up to its name (Lakeshore) but it does stay within a few hundred yards most of the time.

As you get closer to the eastern (or northern) end it does start to get better as the trail turns away from the lake.

Having said all that, it's 100x better than being at work. :)

sharon2010
06-16-2011, 23:29
is the bmt marked as well as the AT,I was planning on doing this hike soon and looking for info.on the trail,is there plenty of resupplies places on the trail or is most a hike or thumb into town,what about shelters,I have sgt rock guide ordered,but just curios,is it a lot of stream crossing.any info would be nice
Thanks

royalusa
06-17-2011, 06:19
is the bmt marked as well as the AT,I was planning on doing this hike soon and looking for info.on the trail,is there plenty of resupplies places on the trail or is most a hike or thumb into town,what about shelters,I have sgt rock guide ordered,but just curios,is it a lot of stream crossing.any info would be nice
Thanks

You'll find most of these answers once your Sgt Rock guidebook arrives, but here's some quick answers for you.

1. No the trail is not as well marked as the AT. You'll want some NatGeo maps too. See our journal entry that covers this topic in more detail: http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=317704

2. You can do a couple maildrops right on the trail for Reliance TN and Deals Gap NC. You can do a purchase or a mail drop with a 2-3 mile roadwalk to Cherry Log NC. See our journal entry that covers this topic in more detail: http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=317016

3. Yes, there are a couple fords and it really depends on the recent rains as to their water levels. See our journal entry that covers the biggest ford for us: http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=317410

4. There are only 2 shelters on the BMT.

royalusa
06-17-2011, 06:26
One more update for you: The grocery/restaurant at mile 18 in Sgt Rock's guidebook, Martin's Dixie Depot, is currently closed and I believe up for sale.

Bati
06-17-2011, 08:13
Fords that can be dangerous are Slickrock, and 2 fords in the Smokies on either side of campsite 62. These are either in a Wilderness area or in a proposed one, so there are no bridges. In addition, reports are that one bridge near Enloe Creek in the Smokies is out.

The idea of designating a high water trail (search other posts for more information) around campsite 62 is being considered by the park. I would recommend that you email the NPS and ask them about the status of bridges on the BMT before you go. The more they hear about BMT hikers, the better the chances of having a change in policy.

solobip
06-17-2011, 14:42
10-K, Realy enjoyed your trip report! I laughed, I cried. I have done sections of the BMT and I could really relate to the Cohutta section. It is good to know that others make simple (life threatening) mistakes, over and over as well. (joking) I enjoy all your posts. What part of Ga you from?

10-K
06-17-2011, 18:48
10-K, Realy enjoyed your trip report! I laughed, I cried. I have done sections of the BMT and I could really relate to the Cohutta section. It is good to know that others make simple (life threatening) mistakes, over and over as well. (joking) I enjoy all your posts. What part of Ga you from?

I grew up in a little community called Rosebud which is about 5 miles from Centerville. (our house was 12 miles from Stone Mt. We could see it sitting on the back porch.)

I'm definitely going to hike the BMT again, probably SOBO next time so I can walk down the AT approach trail instead of hiking up it - I've not done that yet. :)

Loneoak
06-17-2011, 22:54
Excellent read 10-K. Thanks for taking your time to post it.

SGT Rock
06-17-2011, 23:29
Thanks

Sharon,

The only orders I have recently have been a Renne, Douglas, and a Dwight. I don't see anything for a Sharon.

The BMT marking is great in some areas, and in some other areas it doesn't exist because of the marking rules we have to follow in some wilderness areas. I highly recommend maps and knowing where you should be going. The intersections are usually marked unless something has happened in the interim. I've added a section on the trail description profiles this year to show the local trail name you should also look for.

Resupply can be a little complicated in some areas, but it isn't a show stopper. Cherrylog/Blue Ridge is a good first place for a NoBo, Ducktown is also a great stop. Reliance is a good place for a drop with a chance for local buying. Tellico Plains is a long way off, but the town is tying to become a trail town and the Harris family are great trail angles for BMT thru-hikers so it is a good place to plan to re-supply. Deals Gap motorcycle lodge is really starting to come in as a trail service for hikers before you enter the Smokies. If you need a stop in the Smokies getting into Cherokee is an option. And at the end of the Smokies on the north end Curtis of Standing Bear is the logical place to end at.

Shelters? Forget about them. There are only two and in my opinion they both suck. Indian Rock Shelter is in a section where there isn't a legal place to camp for miles so the landowner put it in. and Laurel Gap shelter is a mud pit. I highly recommend camping on Mount Sterling in that area.

The only two stream crossings that you need to concern yourself with are Slickrock Creek and Noland Creek. SLickrock can be bad when the weather is bad, but otherwise it is fine. I've crossed Noland Creek even when it is up and it wasn't bad. Currently Enloe Creek is a ford because the footbridge washed out. But I walked it last month and it wasn't bad at all.

Let me know how I can help you out and I'll give it my best. Good luck!

Pixelgator
05-09-2012, 17:27
WOW! I just read this. I followed the. BMTA.org trail guide to go there for some water, resupply, etc and found it closed last week. I was very disappointed. The owner was insulting but did give me water from the hose. I wish the guide was more current.

SGT Rock
05-09-2012, 18:48
WOW! I just read this. I followed the. BMTA.org trail guide to go there for some water, resupply, etc and found it closed last week. I was very disappointed. The owner was insulting but did give me water from the hose. I wish the guide was more current.
You mean Martin's Dixie Depot?

Pixelgator
05-12-2012, 07:22
Yes. Sorry, I thought I was quoting the previous post.

Pixelgator
05-12-2012, 07:24
So, there's no water from Toccoa river to Licklog.

SGT Rock
05-12-2012, 18:47
Sort of. There is the creek at GA60, but I would treat it VERY heavily as it runs down stream from a chicken farm. There is a chance of water which is unreliable, but 0.2 miles before you cross GA60 north bound there is a small gully on the left side of the trail, and in that gully is an old spring box. Sometimes that spring box still has water flowing out of it.

Pixelgator
05-13-2012, 20:25
I knew I didn't want to get water from Skeena Creek. It would have helped if the BMTA guide was up to date about the store being closed. Drank all the water I was carrying and still got dehydrated.

SGT Rock
05-13-2012, 21:43
I'm working on these issues. My guide is up to date.

Tipi Walter
05-14-2012, 10:43
I knew I didn't want to get water from Skeena Creek. It would have helped if the BMTA guide was up to date about the store being closed. Drank all the water I was carrying and still got dehydrated.

I'm getting ready to pull a BMT trip from the Fish Hatchery/Tellico River to Lost Creek and beyond---heading south, boys---and I'll be taking a two year old Rock guide and the usual Nat G 781 map. Nothing else needed.

So Way
05-14-2012, 11:38
My sister and I just completed it on 4-18-12 you must have been just behind us... i just did my blog on it (i'm not much of a writer but i take good pics) = http://soway2012bmt.blogspot.com/

Tipi Walter
05-14-2012, 11:48
My sister and I just completed it on 4-18-12 you must have been just behind us... i just did my blog on it (i'm not much of a writer but i take good pics) = http://soway2012bmt.blogspot.com/

Great trip report of the BMT with some excellent pictures. The reason you didn't see me is because I was up in Mt Rogers for most of April. But hey, it's time to fight the ticks and dead pines and scrub low country of the East TN hills again.

I like your shots of the cairns and they remind me of the two I found in Mt Rogers, one this year and one last June, 2011---

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/11648/tj11648%5F071511%5F122045%5F625190.jpg

June 2011

http://www.trailspace.com/assets/3/b/a/762810/TRI-132-305.jpg
April 2012

Loneoak
05-14-2012, 12:40
Nice blog, sounds like ya'll had a good time. Wanted you to know, the first video won't work (says private). I got to ask, what's up with the ball bats..... LOL

SGT Rock
05-14-2012, 13:46
Great pictures!

Ewker
05-14-2012, 13:57
I got to ask, what's up with the ball bats..... LOL

I was wondering the same thing

SGT Rock
05-14-2012, 14:10
I just added the video to the BMTA youtube channel playlist:

http://www.youtube.com/user/BentonMacKayeTrail?feature=mhee

Bearpaw
05-14-2012, 14:31

Great to see your hike went well. Was wondering how your day went after dropping you two off.