PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever hiked the Lakeshore Trail around Fontana Lake?

awestberry
04-24-2011, 22:53
Looking for a 20-25 mile stretch to hike in the area of Fontana Lake. Thought about catching the boat shuttle across the lake and hiking back to the dam. Has anyone here been on that section of trail? Ideally, do this over three short days with plenty of time to relax and fish in the afternoons after hiking in the morning.

10-K
04-24-2011, 22:59
I just hiked the entire Lakeshore Trail last week.

In a word, as far as hiking goes, it was mind-numbingly boring.

Trace your hand on a piece of paper... Now, imagine walking the outline of your hand.... Same scene, over and over and over again.

I wasn't looking at it from a fishing angle though but I don't recall much ready access to the lake - most the trail as I remember stayed away from the lake a good ways - but I may have walked by side trails and just didn't notice them.

Great cell reception almost the whole trail though ... :)

Bearpaw
04-24-2011, 23:05
You might not gedt to fish as much as you would think. It does loosely follow the lakeshore, but it is generally maybe 100 feet above the lake, looking down a steep incline to the lake. There ARE some campsites, and you could also drop a line in a couple of creeks along the route.

If I were to take the lakeshore trail starting with a ferry over to the fish camp, I would head east and take out at the parking area next to the tunnel on the Road to Nowhere. You get to pass some nice historic sites and good views down to the lake.

Hooch and I hiked that area last November. I also filed a trip report (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66955) with pictures.

bulldog49
04-25-2011, 07:38
Been a few years since I hiked it but I don't recall the trail at any point being accessible to the Lake except at either end.