PDA

View Full Version : Kettle?

EJC
04-24-2011, 23:35
I was looking for cookware to pretty much boil water, cook noodles and maybe mashed potatoes for a thru hike. I came across a light-weight 1L camping kettle and thought it might make life a little easier. I'll be using it on a homemade alcohol stove.

http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3665639

Would it be smarter to get a normal 1 L pot or would the kettle work?

Rocket Jones
04-25-2011, 06:23
I've heard that some people cook with kettles. Personally, I just boil water and add to my FBC meals. To me, the hassle of trying to clean noodle sauce or other food out of the kettle makes it more trouble than it's worth. If I were "cooking" cooking, then I'd use a pot instead.

Deadeye
04-25-2011, 10:16
I had one of these... it's a uni-tasker. All it can do is boil water. Period. A one-liter pot can boil water and do all the other things a pot can do. A pot is a much better option IMHO.

barefoot
04-25-2011, 10:23
I lead a church Youth Group on the AT for a week every year. We use these pots with no problems. We just use freeze dried food so they work great for boiling water. They are light and have held up to years of use.

STICK
05-10-2011, 17:15
I have one of the GSI Kettles (http://sticksblog.com/gear/kitchen/cook-pots/gsi-hae-tea-kettle/) and love it for boiling water for either myself or for myself and my wife or son. I use my White Box Stove (http://sticksblog.com/gear/kitchen/stoves-extras/white-box-stoves/) with it and it is a great combo.

However, I recently picked up the Evernew 0.9L Ti pot to start using for the same reason that you asked about. I don't see why I couldn't cook inside the kettle, but IMO, it would not be as ideal (both to cook in or to clean up afterwards). So, the Evernew pot is right at the same capacity, and weighs a little less. And while it can definitely boil water, I can more successfully actually cook in it if I need to! And of course it will be easier to clean out.

But that is me. YMMV.

leaftye
05-10-2011, 18:27
If all I was doing was boiling, I'd seriously consider a Backcountry Kettle so I wouldn't have to worry about acquiring and carrying large quantities of fuel. Those mashed potatoes are easily done with freezer bag cooking, and I strongly recommend going that way.

JAK
05-10-2011, 19:21
kettles are cool. they have that old timer thing about them.

The Snowman
06-17-2011, 18:46
Kettles work well as small pots for light cooking but if you really plan on cooking a pot is beter.

zelph
06-24-2011, 13:09
If all I was doing was boiling, I'd seriously consider a Backcountry Kettle so I wouldn't have to worry about acquiring and carrying large quantities of fuel. Those mashed potatoes are easily done with freezer bag cooking, and I strongly recommend going that way.

I purchased a used but nice Backcountry Boiler to do some testing of it to see how it compares to my stainless steel "Trekker" Kelly Kettle. Did 2 test burns in it and found that it is difficult to get it started and the air entry hole is too large.

My advice to all is to hold off and see some feedback from owners that have purchased the first batch that was made. I bought a used one, the owner did not say one way or another if he had problems with it. I'll be asking him once I get back from my camping trip.