PDA

View Full Version : Water @ Uwharrie NF

OutdoorsMan
04-25-2011, 00:16
I will be taking 35 Scouts and adults hiking @ Uwharrie later this week. Doe anyone know what the water situation is in the streams? I have been there when they were bone dry and when there was plenty.

Also, if anyone knows of a good topographic map with the trails superimposed on them, I would love to know where to get it. Yes, I have Childrey's book and I have National Geo. software but I want the trails on a topo map for teaching purposes.

Before anyone comments - we will NOT be taking 35 people down the trail at one time. We are divided into 4 groups and each group will take a different route. That being said - like any Scout Troop, we do have some boisterous boys in the mix.

bwb49
04-25-2011, 08:17
Do you have Natgeo Topo series for NC http://www.natgeomaps.com/topo_northcarolina? It does have the Uwharrie trail and the Dutchman's Trail shown on Level 5. I have attached a portion of the map.

Hope this helps you. I work with a scout troop in Charlotte.

Bootstrap
04-25-2011, 09:25
Do you have Natgeo Topo series for NC http://www.natgeomaps.com/topo_northcarolina? It does have the Uwharrie trail and the Dutchman's Trail shown on Level 5. I have attached a portion of the map.

Hope this helps you. I work with a scout troop in Charlotte.

I noticed that this uses the USGS maps, created by the government, so I checked online, and you can download PDFs for free!

The Uwharries map is available here (http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs/maplocator/(ctype=areaDetails&xcm=r3standardpitrex_prd&carea=$ROOT&layout=6_1_61_48&uiarea=2)/.do).

booney_1
04-25-2011, 11:03
All the streams in the Uwharrie should be fine, we've gotten a lot of rain this winter and spring. Major storm just blew through last week, all creeks and lakes are high. That said...I've also taken scouts hiking here and good camping spots with water are not abundant. You really need to know where you are going. There is a really good camping spot 2 miles North of 109 (on uwharrie trail). Some maps call this spencer's creek. It's where a foot bridge crosses the stream. On the Dutchman's creek trail- 2miles from Yates places there is a good camping spot, and another one ~1 mile(?) downstream. The Dutchman creek spots are small, and if another group is there you have to move on..

The spencer creek spot is a good scout spot, it is a large flat area next to a good stream. There are also a lot of campsites on both sides of the creek. (fyi-creek is full of crawfish--have scouts look under rocks--provides hours of entertainment).

Since you are splitting up, one group might want to try the Birkhead Wilderness area, you are definitely limited to 10 or less, but there are many more camping spots, and it is still part of the Uwharrie NFS, but is just north of what most people call the Uwharrie.

I have a map that shows the trails, but it's not very accurate. I don't think real accurate maps exist.

have fun, it's a great place to take scouts...