PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on a kids backpack?????

camich
01-23-2005, 14:07
This will be my son's first year carrying a pack. We're considering either the Kelty Coyote 4750 or the REI Morning Star 55. Anyone have comments/reviews on these packs or suggestions for other small packs? We want to keep it under $150 since he's 11 years old he'll probably outgrow it pretty quick.

SGT Rock
01-23-2005, 14:17
What I have done for my boys is simply buy school book bags from places like Wal-Mart and keep their packweight low by going ultralight on most of their gear and not giving them any of the shared items they wouldn't personally need like maps, compass, first aid kit, repair items, etc. It has worked for me now up to backpacking child #3.

tlbj6142
01-23-2005, 19:05
Deuter (http://www.deuterusa.com/) makes nice smaller packs that offer quite a bit of torso length adjustment (Deuter calls it "flexible back system".). My 7yo daughter has a Fox 30 which fits her well and at the max torso length it is about 0.5-1" too short for me (18.5")! While I wouldn't buy a Fox 30 for a 11yo, they have plenty of other options for someone a bit taller.

Just make sure you don't buy a pack that has too much volume. As you'll be too tempted to fill it. But, yet, you'll want some room to grow (and eventually carry his share). With that in mind I'd avoid anything larger than 3200ci (50L). So consider any of the -40 thru -50 models from Deuter. Some of their models offer replaceable (different sizes) hipbelts and shoulder straps. A single pack could be worn for several years.

That said, I've seen some really nice day packs (assuming they fit) at wal-mart for $30-$60 with plenty of volume to allow a child to carry their own gear (non shared gear). Might be worth a look.

camich
01-24-2005, 15:12
Thanks Sgt Rock and tlbj6142. I really like those Deuter packs. Up to now my son has only carried a camel back which holds his clothes and a lot of candy. We're hoping he'll be able to pack his sleeping bag and pad. Can't wait to get out there!!!!!