PDA

View Full Version : Yoga pants for hiking?

sautmush
04-25-2011, 12:51
Has anyone hiked in yoga pants(like the prana sutra)? I'm thinking about using yoga pants for hiking on cooler days and to wear around camp, in conjunction with running shorts as Shorts/underwear on hot days. I just dont know how comfortable they'd be with a pack on. Also, the prana sutra's are made of hemp mostly which I'm sure dries like cotton, but they are supposed to be super breathable and only around 7oz as well.

Toolshed
04-25-2011, 13:13
IMMHO Stick with Synth/microfibre yoga Pants or capri's. I think the last thing I would want to drag around is a wet pair of cotton pants, or natural fibre pants that absorb as much moisture as cotton. Would take forever to dry and if you are faced with a week of rainy days, you are simply carrying around a wet, stinking mass of pants.

sheepdog
04-25-2011, 15:48
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif Yoga pants for hiking?

hhhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmm? :-?

sheepdog
04-25-2011, 18:03
or is it ohhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmm?

Fog Horn
04-25-2011, 19:14
I've done a lot of running in yoga pants, including some running in the rain and a mud run. The one thing I can tell you is that when they get wet, they are HEAVY. if they get muddy, you literally have to pull them up constantly. If you sweat, they'll also get really wet, and you'll sweat.

Feel free to try them, but remember that the weight of yoga pants wet is exponentially higher than synthetics wet.

Also, you want to consider that they don't prevent odor at all either, and when they are dirty they don't feel so nice and soft and stretchy against your skin.

WingnutVA
04-27-2011, 09:29
I hike in the prana mojo shorts and they are excellent. Dunno if prana has a similar pant but I bet they would also be quite comfortable

maybe clem
04-27-2011, 16:56
Seems like they'd be a little flimsy for hiking. I hike in running tights and went through a couple of pairs on my thruhike.

Toolshed
04-27-2011, 18:07
Seems like they'd be a little flimsy for hiking. I hike in running tights and went through a couple of pairs on my thruhike.
Nice point. I really don'y know much about the construction of yoga pants, but I do bring running tights with me on my hikes and they are nice and comfy to change into at camp. They also keep my bag clean I switch to running shorts (padless bike shorts) during hot weather.

Turk6177
05-19-2011, 14:01
I wore them this spring during a torrential rain in VA from I-66 to Dick's Dome Shelter. I wore them as warmth under some windbreaker style pants. While they kept me very warm, they were heavy the next day while wet. I would have to side with the running tights. If it is cold, you can probably find some underarmour cold gear tights. I would bet they would be very comfortable, warm, and quick to dry.

While in Dick's Dome, I met Wellsee, 96 SoBo. He told me that you produce so much heat from hiking, you really don't need more than shorts and rain pants. Granted it was winter from VA south for his hike, but his opinion was, if you aren't hiking, you should be in your bag. I hiked out in wet shorts, and a damp shirt and found what he said to hold true. Once I got moving, my own body heat dried my shorts and kept me warm.

I guess the only true answer is to try them, and if you like em, use em. If not, try something else. Happy hiking!

Spokes
05-19-2011, 14:09
Begs the question: What would Earl Shaffer do?

hikerboy57
05-19-2011, 14:31
Begs the question: What would Earl Shaffer do?
earl would wear hiking pants for yoga.