PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day Start?

Amanita
04-25-2011, 18:44
I know that there is another thread discussing the LT in "May" but I wanted to have a more specific discussion.

Due to employment and school considerations, the only time I have available to hike the LT end to end is early summer this year. If I do not hike it during this time, I likely will not have another opportunity for 3+ years. Because the official "opening" date is memorial weekend, I had planned to start my hike either that weekend, or in the week following. This gives me 3-4 weeks to hike the whole trail, with a very finite "end by" date.

I know that mud and bugs will both be issues, I am prepared to deal with them. What I am more concerned about is whether this time frame is still a major erosion threat to the trail.

So, should I cancel my hike for erosion concerns? Or is the trail mostly "okay" by the official opening time?

mirabela
04-25-2011, 18:54
You should be fine. Especially true if you start in the south.

Amanita
04-25-2011, 19:06
You should be fine. Especially true if you start in the south.

Yes, I am planning on NOBO.

Papa D
04-25-2011, 19:21
You'll have a great time - a few bugs and a little mud - not too bad and you won't hurt the trail - the northern areas are the muddiest - P/M me if you want my itinerary from last year - I end to ended in July - would be glad to help

Amanita
04-25-2011, 20:58
You'll have a great time - a few bugs and a little mud - not too bad and you won't hurt the trail - the northern areas are the muddiest - P/M me if you want my itinerary from last year - I end to ended in July - would be glad to help

Thank you for the offer, but I'm very much looking forward to figuring things out as I go along. Between the e2e guide, the full length map, and a little local knowledge, I figure I'll sort things out okay. :)

Cookerhiker
04-25-2011, 21:05
The black flies will be out but every year seems to vary as to how bad they are. In any case, they're gone by evening and don't arouse until after 9 AM unless it's very warm.

While the LT has lots of shelters, bring a tent to give yourself the option of escaping the mosquitos.

Re. mud, compared to when I started hiking the LT in the 70s, many of the muddiest areas have puncheons & other bridges.

stranger
04-26-2011, 04:02
I wouldn't worry about damaging the trail in June but I would be concerned with bugs. Going north makes alot of sense, much drier down south.

I would strongly suggest bringing either a buy bivy of some sorts, or plan on sleeping in your tent every night, literally.

Some good bug bivys can be found at:

www.sixmoondesigns.com
www.alpinlitegear.com
www.mountainlaureldesigns.com
www.outdoorresearch.com
www.titaniumgoat.com

Another option is getting something really narrow like a MSR Hubba 1, and cause it's only 26 inches wide, you could use in shelters if necessary.

Normally I would suggest people avoid sleeping in shelters, but there is something so unique about Long Trail shelters, many of them are fully enclosed and there will be nights when you want to stay in them, just whatever you decide...make sure you have something to prevent bugs from getting to your body while sleeping, ie not mosquito repellant, do not underestimate this.

I would also consider a basic head net, you can get one at Campmor for less than $10. Awesome trail! I'm going again in August 2012!

NorthCountryWoods
04-26-2011, 08:32
Going by the snow pack this winter and rain so far this spring.....it's going to be a muddy start to the season unless we get a serious dry spell and there's nothing but rain in the forecast. Bugs are anybodies guess. It was a cold year, but the heavy snowpack insulated the ground from the cold so there could be more or less this year.