PDA

View Full Version : Gregory Chaos Pack for AT in 2012?

oldnewfie
04-25-2011, 20:01
:confused:I have a barely used Gregory "Chaos" top-loading climbing pack, blue, about 2900CuIn/48L. It is tapered, wide bottom, narrower neck, with an extension and floating lid with clear plastic bottom on zippered lid compartment. Two mesh sleeves for water bottles. No other compartments. The usual compression straps and ice ax loops. The weight is near 4lbs. Anyone have/use of of these? Experiences? Thanks.

bigcranky
04-25-2011, 21:25
I had a Chaos X for several years. It was my first "light" pack at barely under 4 pounds.... It worked fine for AT hiking as long as you can fit your gear inside. The frame would easily carry 30+ pounds in comfort. Nice pack.

That said, it's way over-built compared to current packs. Very heavy fabric,etc. There are plenty of 2 pound packs with a similar capacity that would work well on the AT if you have any interest in upgrading it. The ULA Ohm comes to mind, at 24 ounces it's about the same capacity and will carry 25-30 pounds pretty well. The Circuit is its big brother, will carry even better, and weighs 36 ounces.

oldnewfie
04-27-2011, 18:20
:)Yes, it seems to built like a tank. It seems it might be marginal for winter hike portion of the AT. A problem is getting my packed winter sleeping bag through the top opening. The top is very narrow. I have a WM Antelope 5deg. bag which my wife gave me as a gift some years ago. I really have to use it. I'll look around, though I would like to spend my limited funds on a 1-man tent. Thanks again.

bigcranky
04-27-2011, 20:04
I have an Antelope. Yeah, probably not a good idea in the Chaos -- but then it's not really a winter pack. It won't fit in my Ohm, either, but it fits okay in my ULA Circuit.

If you want one pack to rule them all, the Circuit is a pretty good choice.

oldnewfie
04-28-2011, 18:09
I watched a video on youtube and read a couple of reviews on the Circuit. Looks like a really viable choice. Thanks! I'm looking at 2012 for a thru-hike, health permitting.

bigcranky
04-28-2011, 22:10
I hope you can make that work. Good luck.

If you can get down to Damascus, VA, for a couple of days to hike, you can check out the ULA Packs in person at Mt Rogers Outfitters. Love that place.

skinewmexico
04-28-2011, 22:41
I would like to spend my limited funds on a 1-man tent. Thanks again.

How about a Six Moon Designs Skyscape Scout while they're intro priced @ $90?

oldnewfie
04-29-2011, 15:39
Thanks for all the help! I like the idea of getting down to Damasus to see the packs. Thanks also for the shelter tip.

MadAussieInLondon
05-25-2011, 21:31
I have an old origina Chaos in red/black, not a Chaos X. If your carrying near its capacity, its carries its weight well and the frame and all is very good at it. I've found lighter packs dont carry to capacity as well but one should probably not carry to capacity some of those lighter packs to begin with ;)

If your not going to carry to capacity with the Chaos, get a lighter pack.

Singletrack
05-25-2011, 21:55
I watched a video on youtube and read a couple of reviews on the Circuit. Looks like a really viable choice. Thanks! I'm looking at 2012 for a thru-hike, health permitting.

I did a thru hike with a Gregory RealityX, but like someone stated, it was over built, and weighed over 4lbs. You and I are about the same age, and if I were doing another thru hike, I would use the ULA Circuit. Check one out, and practice packing your gear, before buying, I think you will like it. As far as a tent, the SMD tent for $90 sounds good. Hope your health lets you thru hike.