PDA

View Full Version : biting insects

virgil
04-25-2011, 21:06
What insects (of the biting type) should I expect on the Georgia AT in May ?

Sierra Echo
04-25-2011, 21:12
Ticks, chiggers, skeeters, and some flies.

mweinstone
04-25-2011, 23:10
brown recluse spiders are the show stopper. but only when combined with closed mindedness. when exsperienced hikers or woodsfolk tell you that bump is a recluse bite and you have 3 days to get antibiotics before you will need iv antibiotics and irragation.....get to the road and hitch to a medical center or get a script called in if you happen to be shure of the bite. every season some otherwise happy hiker trys to tell themselves they have everything under control cause it aint hurting or itching or ooozzzing or swelling to baseball size ...yet.

Panzer1
04-25-2011, 23:18
privies also attract black widow spiders. they can bite your junk when your on the privy if your not careful.

Panzer

mweinstone
04-25-2011, 23:25
privys have the highest spider population density outside of certian dr who episodes.

one of the most dangerous beasts among us whilst hiking is the dreded eye nat. not the regular no see um nats about the eyes. the special forces ones trained to dive bomb the cornia only on sharp overhung angeled rodedendrom edge trail causeing compleat sumersault.

Panzer1
04-26-2011, 00:17
add to the list:

fleas, deer fly(I hate them), lice, mites

note: not all mentioned in this thread are technically insects, not that it really matters.

Panzer

Panzer1
04-26-2011, 00:27
TRUE or FALSE:

fly's can lay eggs on your food. If you eat this food and have low stomach acid the eggs can survive long enough to hatch in your intestines and grow into maggots .

Panzer

Sierra Echo
04-26-2011, 07:09
I'm gonna say false to that~!
I have heard that everytime a fly lands it poops and pukes.

daddytwosticks
04-26-2011, 07:14
Beadbugs in the shelters...:)

Pedaling Fool
04-26-2011, 09:12
I've had lyme, not good and no fun. However, early in my 2006 hike I got bitten by something, I have no idea what it was, but it left a huge bump on my lowerback, directly over my spine. It was so hard that initially thought a disc slipped out, but there was no pain, nor itching. It never came to a puss-filled head, it just kind of went away. Another strange thing was that this was March and still very cold, the days were usually ok, but the nights were frigid and I did see snow.

I did not spend one night in shelters, only my tent, so maybe something got trapped in my tent. Got another story on that...

Jaybird
04-26-2011, 09:29
What insects (of the biting type) should I expect on the Georgia AT in May ?

MOSQUITOES,MOSQUITOES,MOSQUITOES & maybe some biting flies...
good luck :D

flemdawg1
04-26-2011, 10:16
I was hiking there 3 weeks ago. Lots of Mosquitos and biting flies. I didn't see any ticks, but that doesn't mean they weren't or won't be there.

YohonPetro
04-28-2011, 14:20
Remember that movie 'Starship Troopers'?!

Watch out for the Brain bug especially...

Bed bugs in the shelters?! another reason I'm glad to be planning on the 1-person enclosure :-)

karo
04-28-2011, 16:05
Use a permethrin based product to pre-treat your hiking clothes. then bounce box or purchase a new can about every month to re-treat them as it only last thru 25-30 washings. It is considered safe if used correctly and only applied to clothing and then to let dry before use. it is the same product used by Ex-Officio on their expensive clothing and to re-treat after repeated washings. I use it on my hunting clothes and it keeps away ticks, chiggers and most flies and mosquitoes. A headnet treated with the product would keep away the mosquitoes and flies.

Snowleopard
04-28-2011, 16:22
Use a permethrin based product to pre-treat your hiking clothes. then bounce box or purchase a new can about every month to re-treat them as it only last thru 25-30 washings. ...
Treating clothes with permethrin works great here.
The permethrin sprays are good for only 5 or 6 washes or about 6 weeks.
http://www.rei.com/product/768970/sawyer-permethrin-pump-spray-24-oz
The clothing that has permethrin built in holds the permethrin much much longer (more time, more washes).

10-K
04-28-2011, 16:34
Just to add, when I left Springer the other week there looks to be a bumper crop of poison ivy coming up too.

newspix1
06-04-2011, 12:07
Can anyone tell me what the little black flying bugs that chewed my legs up at the Springer Mt. parking lot on FS42 are? I thought they were just a bit annoying, but now have red spots all over my lower legs that itches like crazy. I usual hike father north, and not in the summer months, so I was ill prepared for the little buggers. Also, very hot down there, is that usual or is the area having a heat wave?

Panzer1
06-04-2011, 16:02
... but now have red spots all over my lower legs that itches like crazy.I bet it was a chigger bite. But they don't fly. they craw up your leg and bite.

Panzer

Stir Fry
06-04-2011, 16:18
true or false:

fly's can lay eggs on your food. If you eat this food and have low stomach acid the eggs can survive long enough to hatch in your intestines and grow into maggots .

Panzer

false...............

dbellue
06-04-2011, 16:41
Can anyone tell me what the little black flying bugs that chewed my legs up at the Springer Mt. parking lot on FS42 are? I thought they were just a bit annoying, but now have red spots all over my lower legs that itches like crazy. I usual hike father north, and not in the summer months, so I was ill prepared for the little buggers. Also, very hot down there, is that usual or is the area having a heat wave?

We are running about 15 degrees above normal right now. The black bugs are a biting fly. Almost need to wear long pants to keep them off of you.

Alligator
06-04-2011, 16:53
Can anyone tell me what the little black flying bugs that chewed my legs up at the Springer Mt. parking lot on FS42 are? I thought they were just a bit annoying, but now have red spots all over my lower legs that itches like crazy. I usual hike father north, and not in the summer months, so I was ill prepared for the little buggers. Also, very hot down there, is that usual or is the area having a heat wave?These were very similar to Maine blackflies.

newspix1
06-04-2011, 17:30
Thanks folks, I was thinking they were black flies. Much smaller than a house fly and they bite! I was attacked four days ago and the itching has just started to subside. Yeah, the heat was much worse than I expected for this time of year. Will return in October to complete the Georgia section.

The Cleaner
06-04-2011, 17:38
I've been lurking over at Trail Journals and see many posts about "the little black flying bugs".It's gnats or knats.Forget the spelling there is an unusually large crop of these this year.They can and do bite,fly in ears&eyes and up your nose and in your mouth if open long enough.The only cure is to walk fast but as soon as you stop here they come.They're even bad out in the county here.I'm not going out till a weather system or the whole forest is sprayed :eek: to kill these little ba$tards off.Anyone else with any ideas of how to deal with this problem please post :confused: As for the heat,it is unusually hot for so early and it's not even summer yet:eek:...

JaxHiker
06-06-2011, 09:59
Hiking through NC last week the biting gnats and black flies were horrible. I can't say I really saw many skeeters.

Beachcomber
06-06-2011, 11:13
Hiking through NC last week the biting gnats and black flies were horrible. I can't say I really saw many skeeters.

Which parts of NC? I'm planning a week in the Smokies late this month and want to be prepared ...