PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Dads & Daughters Adventure

cdouble
04-25-2011, 21:12
We are 3 dads with daughters (age 12-14) with an annual tradition of some sort of dad-daughter adventure. We've bareboated on the Chesapeak, canoe camped in the Delaware River Gap, and done plenty of car and cabin camping. This spring we want to try backpacking.

We live in the West Chester area, so are looking at a 2 night trip somewhere on the AT. We could do a loop or out/back, or take two cars and drop one at the endpoint. I think ideally there would be a shelter/camping spot near the starting point, and one near the ending point. That way the first day is short and we can get setup easily before dark. The middle leg would be the long hike, and I figure 5-10 miles would be good for first timers depending on terrain. A couple of nice views would be great, as would a swimming hole (just thinking about activities to break things up for the girls). WOuld be great as well to mix in some local history (underground railroad, etc). They want to sleep in tents (not shelters) but might be nice to have shelters as an bailout option.

Anyway I am looking at a few websites (whiteblaze, nps.gov, and backpacker.com) and am a little overwhelmed with options, hoping that someone can at least narrow the choices down based on criteria listed above.

Thank you in advance, and happy trails!
Chris

cdouble
04-25-2011, 21:14
I should clarify we live near West Chester PENNSYLVANIA. Sorry for the omission.

tf bear
04-25-2011, 21:29
Port Clinton, right past Cabela's. You can pick up the trail there and head north. Several wonderful vistas to see for miles.(The Pinnacle and Pulpit Rock) Windsor Furnace Shelter is a nice walk away, water sources are plentiful. There is also the option of parking at Blue Rocks campground and going up their blue trail to the AT and comming down the yellow. Makes for a nice round trip. Hawk Mountain Sanctuary is near by as is the Eckville Shelter. Good luck and have fun!

Jersey Tim
04-25-2011, 22:05
You might consider the Batona Trail in New Jersey. It's a well-kept trail in a nice and very ecologically interesting area (the pine barrens), and at just a hair under fifty miles long, you can be a "thru-hiker" while spending only 2-3 nights out.

Relevant links:
http://www.nynjtc.org/park/batona-trail
http://www.njpinelandsanddownjersey.com/open/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op=view_page&PAGE_id=11&MMN_position=36:3

bullseye
04-25-2011, 22:17
Are you adamant about the AT? The Old Loggers Path might be a good fit for your needs. It has views and a swimming hole about 6 miles from the start, and makes a good beginner hike. On top of that it's in PA. in the Tiadaghton State Forest, up near Williamsport.

ChinMusic
04-26-2011, 16:13
We are 3 dads with daughters (age 12-14) with an annual tradition of some sort of dad-daughter adventure.
Not the AT but a good trip nonetheless:

My buddy and I took our daughters on a combo backpacking and whitewater rafting trip to New River Gorge.

We backpacked up river for a day and half and rafted back to our cars. We arranged for the rafting company to take our cars to the stopping point. My daughter still speaks fondly of that trip.

sbhikes
04-26-2011, 20:42
Wherever you go, bring some feminine hygiene supplies. Nothing could ruin the adventure like getting your period but not having supplies. Sometimes hiking messes up your timing. When I hiked the PCT a dad camped near me asked for supplies. I felt so bad I had none to give him since I no longer need them.

skooch
04-26-2011, 21:13
What great dads. I wish I could have experienced the AT with my dad. He's 88yrs old now

ChinMusic
04-26-2011, 21:21
Again not AT, I guess I got to get her to the AT sometime.

Taking my daughter to Yosemite this July. I've told her to do some arm rows and push-ups to be ready for the Half Dome cables. Clouds Rest will blow her mind.

Papa D
04-26-2011, 22:02
I have run professional adventure programs for this age group for over 10 years. Last year, I end to ended the Long Trail in 25 days with 4 teenagers, age 14,15,17,17 - I'd be more than happy to assist you in any way that I can. I really do have a lot of knowledge in this regard.....private message me.

MauriceReeves
05-03-2011, 10:36
Hi from another Keystoner! I've only started walking the AT, but here near Harrisburg there's some nice spots to try out. I've also been looking for something close to home to take my son and daughter on and I've been thinking about this trip:
http://www.everytrail.com/guide/appalachian-trail-pa-rt-225-to-rt-850

You could extend it out either direction if you wanted, or you could start further South if you wanted. In fact, the AT travels right near Fuller Lake and Laurel Lake in Pine Grove Furnace State Park which are both lakes you can swim in, and they're beautiful and clean. Also, off of the AT there is a small trail to Pole Steeple, which is a great view of the woods: http://www.summitpost.org/pole-steeple/153439

Shoot me an email and I can give you more details.

Best of luck!