PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore Jack, Warren Doyle, Minnesota Smith, and Wingfoot Nominated to Hall of Fame

max patch
04-25-2011, 21:18
Baltimore Jack, Warren Doyle, Minnesota Smith, and Wingfoot Nominated to A.T. Hall of Fame!!!

If they sit these gentlemen at the same table I'm going for sure!

http://www.atmuseum.org/news.htm

Lone Wolf
04-25-2011, 21:22
this is a joke, right? none are worthy. not eve earl. there should be no hall of fame at all. my opinion of course

Lone Wolf
04-25-2011, 21:24
this is a joke, right? none are worthy. not eve earl. there should be no hall of fame at all. my opinion of course

it's really just a popularity contest. like high school :)

WingedMonkey
04-25-2011, 21:26
Baltimore Jack, Warren Doyle, Minnesota Smith, and Wingfoot Nominated to A.T. Hall of Fame!!!

I'll buy our tickets if Ward Leonard is at the table too.

:banana

Skidsteer

Apparently not.

We received a total of 178 nominations for the Charter Class of the Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame. Nominations closed on March 31, 2011. We thank all of you who submitted nominations. The following is an alphabetical list of the persons who were nominated.

Arch Nichols,Arthur Perkins, “Baltimore” Jack Tarlin, Benton MacKaye, Bill Bryson, Bill Irwin, Bill Medlin, Bob Peoples, Bob Proudman, Carol Barnes (Rambunny), Casey Fulp, Charles Parry, Charles R. Rinaldi, Dan "Wingfoot" Bruce, Dave Richie, David Startzell, Dennis Pegg, Don O'Neal, Dorothy Laker, Earl V. Shafer, Ed Garvey, Eddie Stone, Elizabeth Levers, Gene Espy, Gordon Burgess, Grandma Emma Gatewood, Harold "Houdini" Richards, Hazel Monroe, Henry Ford, Hollyce Highfill Kirkland, Horace Kephart, Jamie Renaud,
Jean Cashin, Jean Stephenson, John R. Barnard, Karen Lutz, Ken Rose, Larry Freeman, Larry Luxenberg,
Laurie Potteiger, Louise Chatfield, Margaret C. Drummond, Mark Suiters (Stumpknocker), Matilda "Tillie" Wood, Merlyn Seeley, Minnesota Smith, Miss Janet Hensley, Murray Stevens, Myron H. Avery, Nimblewill Nomad, Norman D. Sills, Pete Palmer, Phyllis Henry, Raymond Torrey,Ron Haven, Rufus Morgan, Ruskin Freer, Ruth E. Blackburn, Stan Murray,Steve Clark, Thurston Griggs, Vaughn Thomas, Ward Leonard, Warren Doyle, William Welch

Wow.

kayak karl

ill wait till its on you-tube :D i just picture MS stuffing rolls in his pockets.:)

Cookerhiker
04-25-2011, 21:30

An opinion which I share.:cool:

Rain Man
04-25-2011, 21:30
The operative word is "nominated." Thank goodness. At first, I was frightened.

Rain:sunMan

Lone Wolf
04-25-2011, 21:33
moderators: please move this thread to the humor section :D

Sly
04-25-2011, 21:43
The operative word is "nominated." Thank goodness. At first, I was frightened.

Rain:sunMan

.Exactly, anyone could have nominated themselves if they wanted go. It's not a popular vote like LW likes to insist, but left up to a board to decide from all nominees. None in the OP when be inducted anytime soon.

Lone Wolf
04-25-2011, 21:47
you're funny sly. :banana no more donations to the hall of fame from me. i meant museum. oops the AT has gotten weird.

Phreak
04-25-2011, 22:08
An opinion which I share.:cool:

moderators: please move this thread to the humor section :D

+1 to all the above.

max patch
04-25-2011, 22:20
First ballot worthy or are the voters gonna make em wait a year?

Dogwood
04-25-2011, 22:25
Is it just nominatinating yourself and everyone agrees?

There is one name on that 4 person list that I am very suspicious about. How they got nominated or were accepted into the AT Hall of fame I would like to know more about! Humm! I want to know the nomination crtiteria! and acceptance into the hall of fame criteria!

Sly
04-25-2011, 22:26
you're funny sly. :banana no more donations to the hall of fame from me. i meant museum. oops the AT has gotten weird.

I bet you $20 no one in the OP gets in for the first five years. After that they'll mostly all be forgotten.

max patch
04-25-2011, 22:28
i just picture MS stuffing rolls in his pockets.:)

he'd leave the dinner rolls alone (white flour, ya know) but I can see him taking all the toilet paper that isn't bolted down.

Sly
04-25-2011, 22:35
Is it just nominatinating yourself and everyone agrees?

There is one name on that 4 person list that I am very suspicious about. How they got nominated or were accepted into the AT Hall of fame I would like to know more about! Humm! I want to know the nomination crtiteria! and acceptance into the hall of fame criteria!

For the first few years you can nominate anyone, those names are submitted to a board who choose. If I'm not mistaken the first year, the board chooses 6, the 2nd year 3, and then one each every year after.

Minnesota Smith will never, ever, be chosen even if everyone on WB nominated him separately. The board will pick people on their merit. It's not a popularity contest that some believe.

Dogwood
04-25-2011, 22:43
Want I want to know is if I hiked with any of them, ate with any of them, spoke with any of them, etc am I also eligible for nomination and acceptance into the AT Hall Of fame? Seeing my mug in a museum is the reason why I hike!

BTW, I'm pleased to announce I'm finally releasing my long awaited new line of certified imitation authentic sure to be collector's items genuine polyester tee shirts hand sewn in China, this yr. Available in 3 assorted colors(green camouflage for all your stealthing needs, baby boy blue for those who ?, and a lovely pink pastel) made from recylced materials that are guaranteed to get you from Springer Mountain to Mt Katahdin in record setting time. Email me now. Supplies are limited!

Tagless
04-25-2011, 22:44
I can't comment on many of these individuals, but it would seem to me that a at least a few are worthy of some historical recognition. For example: Earl Shafer, Gene Espy, and Grandma Emma Gatewood.

Panzer1
04-25-2011, 22:57
Bill Bryson is also on the list. Well at least he wrote a book about the trail.

Panzer

Garlic
04-25-2011, 23:28
sounds like a poularity contest; this is ridiculous. Get a life

mweinstone
04-26-2011, 00:52
earl shaffer let a dog go on 61 in port he found stray down south. on the shoulder of the road. he said it had traveled far enough with him and was better off than when he found him 3 states back and where he was going it would be to cold. i stood there thinking i was helpless to have an opinion. he was old. the dog was a stray. i had no means.i was too into my hike to think. i let that dog down. and for that i aint wantin him in my hallway.

Lone Wolf
04-26-2011, 00:58
I can't comment on many of these individuals, but it would seem to me that a at least a few are worthy of some historical recognition. For example: Earl Shafer, Gene Espy, and Grandma Emma Gatewood.

why? all they did was make a decision to take a long walking vacation. seems this museum is full of themselves and only the most popular will get in. just like high school like i said:)

trailangelbronco
04-26-2011, 01:00
An AT hall of fame? Are you freakin kidding me?

MacKaye and Avery would laugh their arses off.

Panzer1
04-26-2011, 01:53
we have a baseball hall of fame because the players have achieved something.

So the question is: when a person hikes the AT, are they achieving something?

Panzer

trailangelbronco
04-26-2011, 01:57
Some people hike to get away from fanfare, media and attention.

Cookerhiker
04-26-2011, 07:49

why? all they did was make a decision to take a long walking vacation. seems this museum is full of themselves and only the most popular will get in. just like high school like i said:)

As Sly has indicated, the Board has more sophisticated criteria than simply making this a popularity contest featuring well-known hikers. Of the early hikers in Tagless's post, only Earl Shaffer did more for the Trail and ATC than simply hike. I agree with Wolf in that if all someone did is hike the trail (no matter how many umpteen times) and made themselves visible through self-promotion, they've done nothing to merit inclusion in the Hall.

One of the most dedicated AT lovers who's worked tirelessly on and for the Trail for decades isn't even on the the nominated list: Dave Field of Maine. Were I voting, he'd get my ballot long before those on Tagless's list or the OP.

Tagless
04-26-2011, 07:57

I mentioned these three individuals in particular because they inspired me and probably many others.

Yukon
04-26-2011, 08:01
The mountains and trails inspire me, not the people...

mweinstone
04-26-2011, 08:20
panzer raises an important point. but id like to differ. baseball players do something other pro athelets do but we as hikers never can. they bring together in stadiums year in and year out decade after decade millions apon millions of ordinary folks from every bent, to sing and chant and wave their arms in glee while routeing fort their team .together. they cause more peace and unity and harmony while being a catharsis for violence inherint, than any activity on earth. for this wonderus achevement we mark them as fame.
any fame one receives on the AT is of a different and negetive nature opposite the intent of hiking in the first place.
the single most imporant comments here are two.
folks is rollin in they graves with laughter, and folks is drunk wit powere over dare.
its almost as if a couple of weirdo old ladys got a hold of our appalachain trail and decided whats best for us hikers based on their exstensive lifelong knowlage and exsperience with bakeing cookies.oh wait, thats exactly whats going on in washington to.....sorry.....ill stop. gotta hate some of the directions our trails headed.this aint one, its just a waste. so yes i hate it. i belive bag of tricks would agree violently with me on this next point,....earl would be ashamed. and myron is to polite to object but i bet he would not want to be on the wall if he really thaught about it. the core of a hiker is humble solitude and service to others. kinda like a big boy scout, we dont need acalades for helpin old ladys across streets.

sherrill
04-26-2011, 08:26
This whole idea stinks, as much as the Rock and Roll "Hall of Fame". No point.

Politics + Popularity.

max patch
04-26-2011, 08:32

Politics + Popularity.

Minnesota Smith isn't popular so that must not be a criteria for inclusion in the Hall of Fame.

mweinstone
04-26-2011, 08:36
well put. kinda. id like to point out a possible pitfall of any revision of plans here.
lets just say for the sake of discussion, the hall of fame is nixed or short lived and replaced with the idea of memorial wall. or,..memorial bench, campsite and shelter. now, we have a few well dedicated shelters and trails for folks we admire. but this newfangeled love affaire with vanity may leed us down the brassy anodized slopes of plaques everywhere like in a church where everything thats nailed down is dedicated. eventualy in a world gone crazy with the need to point to itself, only small birds fly without brass plaques saying what old fart donated what amount. i belive the future will be a huimbeler time if it is to be any good. a time where we un name a few highways and un plaque a few places and undedicate some spaces.
maby even erase a few boundry lines.

mweinstone
04-26-2011, 08:46
ms called me three times and i didnt pick up cause hes my friend and hiking buddy and any objections he may have had about his nomination, or if he just called to laugh about it,...would have tainted my opinions here. so ill call him back in a few days but first id like to point out that when i first saw his name on the list, i saw in my mind folks chuckeling,...then had a somber and good loveing thaught for my beleaugered friend. what if ms did something noteable in that he showed us that attacking someone for their belifes is unwelcome in our community more than hikers with objectionable belifes?

CrumbSnatcher
04-26-2011, 08:49
i'd put individuals like bob peoples way ahead of all of them! all they did was walk :)

max patch
04-26-2011, 08:52
ms called me three times and i didnt pick up cause hes my friend and hiking buddy and any objections he may have had about his nomination, or if he just called to laugh about it,...would have tainted my opinions here.

I'm sure Minnesota Smith called you to ask you to be his presenter when he is enshrined in the Hall at the banquet. That means you have to give a speech. Check youtube for videos of football and baseball Hall of Fame introductions for ideas of what is traditionally done. This should be good.

CrumbSnatcher
04-26-2011, 08:52
they did inspire alot of people to follow in their footsteps, but trail maintainers are the real deal!

mweinstone
04-26-2011, 09:00
in all honesty, i belive my friend bob might rather hikers just try to keep the shower door closed and the water off the floor at kinncorra.i belive talking about who we appreciate for what is a better use of earth than a hall can ever be.
if i had to measure all of bobs work that has made so many of my hikes better, against the work he does on my soul each time we meet, its his soulwork im way more in need of. but his trail contributions are envyable.
when i die i will be able to name bob among a few men and women who represented the pinnicle of my aspireings.i pray god makes me an exact copy of the man. i will be better off haveing known him if i even inherrit his smile. let alone his abillitys. i may admire him most in this world.

Lone Wolf
04-26-2011, 09:00
but trail maintainers are the real deal!

but it's something they want to do and volunteer to do. they don't want to be put on a pedestal for it. weathercarrot has done more maintaining and trail building than anyone on the list and i can guarantee he wouldn't want to be in any "hall of fame"

mweinstone
04-26-2011, 09:10
if you put wheathercarrot my loves, in any sort of box, even put his name in a box, or tryed to quantify him in any way publicly, you would destry the very wonderful fabric of our beloved comrads powerful cloke of goodness. weathercarrot is a god among dirty rock hauling trailworkers. say no more. matthewski has spoken so shall it be!

Jaybird
04-26-2011, 09:24
Baltimore Jack, Warren Doyle, Minnesota Smith, and Wingfoot Nominated to A.T. Hall of Fame!!!If they sit these gentlemen at the same table I'm going for sure!http://www.atmuseum.org/news.htm

J.R. "Model-T" Tate is NOT NOMINATED???
Bulldoze the place!!!:D

Sly
04-26-2011, 11:02
J.R. "Model-T" Tate is NOT NOMINATED???
Bulldoze the place!!!:D

I was surprised not to see his name on the list but I don't think all 178 are there.

He is on the board that selects the inductees. Perhaps he respectfully declined.

Sly
04-26-2011, 11:10
but it's something they want to do and volunteer to do. they don't want to be put on a pedestal for it. weathercarrot has done more maintaining and trail building than anyone on the list and i can guarantee he wouldn't want to be in any "hall of fame"

I don't know if WC would want to be in the HOF but from what you're saying not many soldiers or Marines would want to accept a medal.

double d
04-26-2011, 11:48
Just my opinion, but I don't see a problem with a HOF, if anything, maybe people who enjoy the AT will read about some the folks in the HOF and be glad that there are people out there who care about the AT enough to spend much of time dedicated to it. but like LW said, its just an opinion.

BAG "o" TRICKS
04-26-2011, 11:51
What, not popular anymore?;)

Lone Wolf
04-26-2011, 12:01
What, not popular anymore?;)

never was in high and never was while i was walking the trail

Sly
04-26-2011, 12:02
A little refresher on the AT HOF....

Who do you think merits inclusion in a hall of fame rising up to honor those with ties to the Appalachian National Scenic Trail (http://www.nps.gov/appa)?

While Benton MacKaye, whose vision gave birth to the AT, should be a slam-dunk member of the inaugural class, whom else would you include? Long-distance through hikers? Section hikers? Trail maintenance volunteers?

What about Myron Avery, said to be the first 2,000-miler on the AT and chair of the Appalachian Trail Conference from 1932 until he died in 1952?

The hall of fame will be located at Gardners, Pennsylvania, in Pine Grove Furnace State Park inside the Appalachian Trail Museum (http://www.atmuseum.org/intro.htm). The museum, is not only just about 2 miles from the AT (edit: it was never 2 miles from the AT, and now the trail passes directly by the museum) , but it is, appropriately enough, midway between Springer Mountain, Georgia, and Mount Katahdin, Maine, the two ends of the footpath that winds along the back of the Appalachian range.

Museum officials say the hall of fame "is being established by the Appalachian Trail Museum Society to recognize those who have made a significant contribution toward establishing and maintaining the 2,181 mile A.T."

"The Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame is a natural fit with the museum that opened last June," Larry Luxenberg, president of the Appalachian Trail Museum Society, said earlier this month in announcing the hall. "The trail and the museum represent the collective efforts of volunteers who have made countless contributions in ways that are as varied as the personalities who have been involved. The hall of fame will recognize those people who have unselfishly devoted their time, energy and resources toward making the Appalachian Trail a national treasure."

Here's the nitty-gritty for nominating folks to the hall:

Criteria - Those eligible for consideration include anyone who has made a major contribution to the Appalachian Trail, or otherwise has advanced the cause of the Appalachian Trail. These include, without limitation, pioneers who conceived of and developed the trail; those who organized or directed major trail organizations like the Appalachian Trail Conservancy and the Appalachian Trail maintaining clubs; longtime trail maintainers; leaders who promoted and protected the Appalachian Trail; hikers who have made significant accomplishments, and other persons who have enriched the culture or community of the Appalachian Trail by their association with it.
Nominations - Nominations will be solicited from throughout the hiking and trails community, by using a unique internet survey address. The address is:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/63PYPCT

Deadline for nominations - March 20, 2011. The survey address is open to accept nominations through March 31, 2011. Anyone may submit a nomination, without charge, regardless of whether he or she is a member of a hiking or trails organization. Only one nomination should be submitted per year per person. The survey site will ask a nominator to justify his or her nomination in a brief statement not exceeding 200 words that describes the nominee and why he or she fits the criteria.

Hall of Fame Committee; Election - An Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame Committee has been selected by the Appalachian Trail Museum Society Board of Directors to supervise the election process and to submit the finalists to the board. That committee is chaired by Jim Foster, a museum volunteer and 2007 thru-hiker of the Appalachian Trail. Other members of the committee are Noel DeCavalcante, Tom Johnson, Larry Luxenberg, Laurie Potteiger and J.R. Tate. The Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame Committee will deliver the slate of finalists to the museum board by April 30, 2011, for subsequent review and elections. For the first three years, founding classes to the Appalachian Trail Museum will be named. These initial classes will emphasize important historical figures who were critical to the creation and development of the trail. The Appalachian Trail Museum Society Board can elect up to six people in the first year, and up to three each in the second and third years. After the third year, only a single person may be elected each year.

Announcement and recognition of inductees - Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame inductees will be announced during the Appalachian Trail Museum's annual festival, scheduled for the third weekend in June. The inductees will be enshrined on an Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame Wall of Honor to be located in the Appalachian Trail Museum.

There is no direct vote, or popularity contest. Minnesota Smith is not going to get in before Myron Avery, if ever. :rolleyes:

Jeff
04-26-2011, 12:25
Recognizing those volunteers who donate so much of their time and effort is terrific. Even those nominated who get a paycheck from the ATC spend a huge amount of their own, free time working to improve the trail.

Hats off to all of you.

Phreak
04-26-2011, 12:26
Here's the nitty-gritty for nominating folks to the hall:

Criteria - Those eligible for consideration include anyone who has made a major contribution to the Appalachian Trail, or otherwise has advanced the cause of the Appalachian Trail. These include, without limitation, pioneers who conceived of and developed the trail; those who organized or directed major trail organizations like the Appalachian Trail Conservancy and the Appalachian Trail maintaining clubs; longtime trail maintainers; leaders who promoted and protected the Appalachian Trail; hikers who have made significant accomplishments, and other persons who have enriched the culture or community of the Appalachian Trail by their association with it.

Based on this criteria, how in the hell did Minnesota Smith make the nominee list???

Sly
04-26-2011, 12:37
Based on this criteria, how in the hell did Minnesota Smith make the nominee list???

I assuming he was nominated, but I don't think that alone makes him eligible to pass the muster of the committee and then the board to be inducted.

max patch
04-26-2011, 12:44
Minnesota Smith is not going to get in before Myron Avery, if ever.

Never say never. Hard to predict when a groundswell of support will suddenly lift a candidate into office. Nobody thought an unknown governor of Georgia named Jimmy Carter would ever be elected President. Same goes that an unknown "community organizer" - Barack Hussein Obama - would even be nominated for President much less win it.

The only thing that is certain that Mr Smith's obituary will read that he was (at the very least) nominated for inclusion in the AT Hall of Fame.

b.c.
04-26-2011, 12:51
I am usually silent here but I have to say something this time.
Having an AT HOF with enshrined individuals is an incredibly obtuse and imprudent concept.
On the amusing side with this laughable initiative, would yellow blazers be banned like Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe Jackson?

max patch
04-26-2011, 12:51

You can blame (or give credit) to the following key events:

1. Whiteblaze.net
2. Dances with Mice who initially created the thread that made Mr. Smith famous (or infamous).
3. Mweinstone who almost single handedly made the thread one of the largest in internet history.
4. And Mr. Smith himself who gave the whiteblazers a great deal to talk about.

The rest is history.

Sly
04-26-2011, 12:53
Never say never. Hard to predict when a groundswell of support will suddenly lift a candidate into office. Nobody thought an unknown governor of Georgia named Jimmy Carter would ever be elected President. Same goes that an unknown "community organizer" - Barack Hussein Obama - would even be nominated for President much less win it.

The only thing that is certain that Mr Smith's obituary will read that he was (at the very least) nominated for inclusion in the AT Hall of Fame.

Again, you and others think this is a popularity contest, or election. Certain criteria will be used and after the 1st three years with 12 or less inductees, it's only one per year. Since MS bashed the trail time and again, I doubt he'll be a favorite of any selecting committee.

Sly
04-26-2011, 13:03
I am usually silent here but I have to say something this time.
Having an AT HOF with enshrined individuals is an incredibly obtuse and imprudent concept.
On the amusing side with this laughable initiative, would yellow blazers be banned like Pete Rose and Shoeless Joe Jackson?

Although I have no part in the Appalachian Trail Museum, I can assure you that most involved are a competent professionals and dedicated people that spent many hours promoting it's creation and they take the Hall seriously.

mrc237
04-26-2011, 13:38
Thanks Sly for all your sober responses and all you do. It ain't just about the walking.

Cookerhiker
04-26-2011, 13:51
Thanks Sly for all your sober responses and all you do. It ain't just about the walking.

+1 to this - well-spoken.

TJ aka Teej
04-26-2011, 14:09
It's a publicity stunt by the Museum to get people talking about the Museum.

The "Hall" should have three members.
Benton MacKaye, Myron Avery, and Earl Shaffer.
One proposed it, one built it becoming the first 2000 miler in doing so, and one thru-hiked it.

WingedMonkey
04-26-2011, 15:05

One proposed it, one built it becoming the first 2000 miler in doing so, and one thru-hiked it.

You northerners always wanna leave out Horace Kephart.

:p

neighbor dave
04-26-2011, 16:03
this is a bad idea. i would think any honorable person would respectfully decline their nomination.
i think it cheapens the trail, what's next, a hall of fame for the cooler that served the most trail magic to hikers? c'mon folks leave the trail for what it is and let that be the reward.

Creek Dancer
04-26-2011, 16:04
What neighbor dave said!

Mags
04-26-2011, 16:06
Lyndon Johnson may be a good candidate as well. He signed the National Trails System Act which provided the protection for the AT (among other trails and outdoor recreation areas).

http://www.pcta.org/general/news/dev_ntsa.asp

max patch
04-26-2011, 16:11
I'm nominating Mags for nominating LBJ.

Skidsteer
04-26-2011, 16:32
I'm nominating max patch for nominating Mags for nominating LBJ.

mweinstone
04-26-2011, 16:37
skidster..................

WingedMonkey
04-26-2011, 16:41
I am NOT nominating mweinstone for nominating skidster.

:eek:

mweinstone
04-26-2011, 16:45
lmao..............

neighbor dave
04-26-2011, 16:47
i nominate the big bang for making it all happen!:-?

the goat
04-26-2011, 17:42
i nominate the big bang for making it all happen!:-?

don't forget continental drift!

max patch
04-26-2011, 17:53
I hope there is a group shot of all the honored nominees in this summers AT Journeys.

Skidsteer
04-26-2011, 18:02
I hope there is a group shot of all the honored nominees in this summers AT Journeys.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3243/2915015229_7d387541dd.jpg

weary
04-26-2011, 19:08
Well, I think Earl Shaffer clearly qualifies for what ever anyone wants to offer as accolades, now that he is dead.

However, I agree with LW that the whole idea is a joke -- or should be. It's only walking. The AT heroes, if any, are those that fought with each other and still managed to get the trail built.

Rocket Jones
04-26-2011, 19:12

*snort* Excellent!

weary
04-26-2011, 19:15
Exactly, anyone could have nominated themselves if they wanted go. It's not a popular vote like LW likes to insist, but left up to a board to decide from all nominees. None in the OP when be inducted anytime soon.
Well, it would have been difficult for Earl to have nominated himself, unless heaven has finally relaxed its rules.

max patch
04-26-2011, 19:24

That was hilarious!

weary
04-26-2011, 20:00
As Sly has indicated, the Board has more sophisticated criteria than simply making this a popularity contest featuring well-known hikers. Of the early hikers in Tagless's post, only Earl Shaffer did more for the Trail and ATC than simply hike. I agree with Wolf in that if all someone did is hike the trail (no matter how many umpteen times) and made themselves visible through self-promotion, they've done nothing to merit inclusion in the Hall.

One of the most dedicated AT lovers who's worked tirelessly on and for the Trail for decades isn't even on the the nominated list: Dave Field of Maine. Were I voting, he'd get my ballot long before those on Tagless's list or the OP.
Dave certainly deserves a place on any AT heroes list. Too my mind, he was a bit too conservative. But when it became the AT or nothing, he was wise enough to back off and called in the NPS.

Lone Wolf
04-26-2011, 21:21
Well, I think Earl Shaffer clearly qualifies for what ever anyone wants to offer as accolades, now that he is dead.

However, I agree with LW that the whole idea is a joke -- or should be. It's only walking. The AT heroes, if any, are those that fought with each other and still managed to get the trail built.

kinda why i don't go to all the AT functions anymore. too much self-backpatting and such. a hall of fame for walking is not warranted. some folks though have no other life other than the AT

10-K
04-26-2011, 21:25

http://www.quantumyoga.org/images/the-last-supper.gif

Wise Old Owl
04-26-2011, 21:27
No life other than the AT? Egads Man! Say it isn't so.... What happened to Fishing, Golf and Hunting?

Hooch
04-26-2011, 21:48
http://www.quantumyoga.org/images/the-last-supper.gif
Is that Dirtknap in the middle? :rolleyes::D

Lone Wolf
04-26-2011, 21:58
No life other than the AT? Egads Man! Say it isn't so.... What happened to Fishing, Golf and Hunting?

you jest but there are quite a few hundred + whose lives ARE the AT. very weird. it was a part of my life for a while. i'm over it. i got no patches or certificates to prove i walked. i live in a trail town but don't associate with many hikers. if i do it's usually to kick them out of the hostel for Fing up. i wanna be nominated for "grumpiest pack-sniffer".

WILLIAM HAYES
04-26-2011, 22:05
There should be no Hall of Fame -a hiker is a hiker its all about walking-people who have done the trail more than others just happen to have more free time-nothing special in my opinion about walking the trail x number of times -people that contibute and support the preservation of the trail thats another question
Hillbilly

Sierra Echo
04-26-2011, 22:16
Minnesota Smith isn't popular so that must not be a criteria for inclusion in the Hall of Fame.

He gets the worst dressed award!

Gray Blazer
04-26-2011, 22:55
If people want to sniff their pack, who cares? I say let 'em.

The Counselor
04-26-2011, 23:44
you jest but there are quite a few hundred + whose lives ARE the AT. very weird. it was a part of my life for a while. i'm over it. i got no patches or certificates to prove i walked. i live in a trail town but don't associate with many hikers. if i do it's usually to kick them out of the hostel for Fing up. i wanna be nominated for "grumpiest pack-sniffer".

"Whose lives are the AT" Over twenty five thousand posts on a single board dedicated to the AT may be par on the same course. Whose to say?

Jack Tarlin
04-27-2011, 00:15
I recall a similar thread here, back in early January, when they were first discussing a hiker HOF.

I remember saying that in my opinion, MacKaye, Avery, and Shaffer should get in on the first ballot, and that they should then stop seeking further entrants.

Several months later, I can't see any reason to re-write what I said back in January, in other words, put these gentlemen in the Hall if you must. Then close the doors. :D

Really.

stranger
04-27-2011, 04:30
Apparently not.

Wow.

Very sad...sad indeed

double d
04-27-2011, 10:29
"Whose lives are the AT" Over twenty five thousand posts on a single board dedicated to the AT may be par on the same course. Whose to say?

Thought the same thing as you did Counselor.:-?

Lone Wolf
04-27-2011, 10:32
yeah, me too :-?

TOW
04-27-2011, 11:14
Apparently not.

Wow.
i cannot believe that Sally was not nominated.....

Lugnut
04-27-2011, 11:26
i cannot believe that Sally was not nominated.....

And don't forget Raven, Tucker, Maia and Bela too. :cool:

fredmugs
04-27-2011, 18:39
Is this going to be like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? Every year you look at who got in and think "Who the hell is that"?

Lone Wolf
04-27-2011, 20:50
Is this going to be like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? Every year you look at who got in and think "Who the hell is that"?

yup it's pretty much just the museum folks puttin' in who they want. kinda like high school yearbook committee

max patch
04-27-2011, 20:51
Is this going to be like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? Every year you look at who didn't get in and think "Why the hell not?"

If Meatloaf doesn't get into the R'nR Hall of Fame soon I'll nominate him for the AT Hall. Makes about as much sense as Minnesota.

max patch
04-27-2011, 20:55

And 10,000 posts more than the 2nd most prolific poster.

Lone Wolf
04-27-2011, 21:17

and who is that?

Skidsteer
04-27-2011, 21:22
and who is that?

SGT Rock.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/memberlist.php?order=DESC&sort=posts&pp=100

max patch
04-28-2011, 06:57
LW dominates this board like Tiger used to dominate golf before Elin hit him up upside the head with the golf club.

mweinstone
04-28-2011, 07:25
hey!
shutup!
lets have some peace and quiet.
for now on , all threds about halls, fame, or of, ....banned. the bashings boreing.
and the cheers of support weak.
i say we get moderational permission to envoke the special reletivity sidetrak act and take this puppy for a spin off the nearest cliff. common,..itll be fun.here ill start.

went for a ride deep into the badlands last sunset. as i exited my building, two fantom riders chased. my bike is srong and powerfull as are my hiker legs. and with my skill haveing been a courrier most of my teenhood, i outrode them in a hundred yards and slipped into busy traffic and then down allys and far away. but i havent been chased in a while and i didnt stop going breakneck speeds for about 20 blocks. cool? it was. they wanted my bike. its a bianchi diss all pimped out and gets alot of comments cause its all hikery looking and dirty and powerfull and dark and menesing with its fat slick tires and all.

BAG "o" TRICKS
04-28-2011, 07:37

I differ with you on Earl if there is going to be a hall of fame. But I'm with you on there should be no hall of fame. Anyone who thru-hiked that trail is famous to me, including you Wolf, some infamous;)

Cookerhiker
04-28-2011, 08:36
.... Anyone who thru-hiked that trail is famous to me, ....

Well of course - we all know thruhikers are automatically on a pedestal. As for those who hiked the whole AT via section hiking, we'll never measure up, never be famous.:rolleyes:

the goat
04-28-2011, 08:43
Well of course - we all know thruhikers are automatically on a pedestal. As for those who hiked the whole AT via section hiking, we'll never measure up, never be famous.:rolleyes:

hahaha! so true.

imo, it takes much more dedication to section than thru; i thought thru hiking was easy, but i can't even begin to ponder the logistics of a section hike.

why are there no section hikers nominated in the "hall of fame"?

Cookerhiker
04-28-2011, 09:20
hahaha! so true.

imo, it takes much more dedication to section than thru; i thought thru hiking was easy, but i can't even begin to ponder the logistics of a section hike.

Well Myron Avery section-hiked the whole trail and he's a sure-bet first-timer but his merit isn't from his hiking per se but all his work organizing the trail's completion and running the ATC.

I don't recall if Dorothy Laker was on the nominee list, but she both thruhiked and section-hiked.

sherrill
04-28-2011, 09:42
Great minds thinking alike?

Politics + Popularity.

Dances with Mice
04-28-2011, 10:33
I think everyone who has ever walked on the AT should be in the HoF.

Creek Dancer
04-28-2011, 10:34
hahaha! so true.

A couple of weeks ago I had a thru hiker tell me that the name "section hiker" was a dirty word and the only reason he would never get off the trail was because he didn't want to be know as a section hiker. He told me this not knowng I was a section hiker. Not sure why some thru hikers put themselves on a pedestal and look down upon others.

Gray Blazer
04-28-2011, 10:54
went for a ride deep into the badlands last sunset. as i exited my building, two fantom riders chased. my bike is srong and powerfull as are my hiker legs. and with my skill haveing been a courrier most of my teenhood, i outrode them in a hundred yards and slipped into busy traffic and then down allys and far away. but i havent been chased in a while and i didnt stop going breakneck speeds for about 20 blocks. cool? it was. they wanted my bike. its a bianchi diss all pimped out and gets alot of comments cause its all hikery looking and dirty and powerfull and dark and menesing with its fat slick tires and all.

Good story. It would be even better if the 2 fantas were Grandma Gatewood and Benton Makaye

Panzer1
04-28-2011, 12:58
Not sure why some thru hikers put themselves on a pedestal and look down upon others.

maybe its what keeps them going.

Panzer

88BlueGT
04-28-2011, 13:05
A couple of weeks ago I had a thru hiker tell me that the name "section hiker" was a dirty word and the only reason he would never get off the trail was because he didn't want to be know as a section hiker. He told me this not knowng I was a section hiker. Not sure why some thru hikers put themselves on a pedestal and look down upon others.

He should of been smacked

mweinstone
04-30-2011, 15:47
there is no question asked or opinion offered in the OP. so what are we supposed to talk about? or is this thred the perfect crime against the witeblaze rule of on topic? and if so,..may we discuss awsome things?

hikerchicks are awsomer than regular chicks by a factor of firmer. true story.

DrRichardCranium
04-30-2011, 19:09
Apparently not.

Wow.
They should use all those names for a set of bubblegum cards.

BAG "o" TRICKS
04-30-2011, 19:48

I stand corrected, those who have sectioned the entire trail are also famous ..,just not as famous;).

BAG "o" TRICKS
04-30-2011, 20:14

Yea that "Ole Red Wolf of da Smokies is slick;). Anything to help the museum.
Hope to be at the museum festival.

I agree with your three Teej, and a few others who were mentioned in the previous post. Of course there are many others who I am sure will garner this honor in the future. Hey we finally have a museum, let's support it.

mweinstone
04-30-2011, 21:21
your all hitting on the same idea but need me to draw it for you with my special large size pencil.

what i write next gives the reader the feeling ....not the verbal hearing,.....of the point we discuss. stick with me...

the world suffers a shutdown for some reason
people gather in groups bonded by common goals
one such groups bonded goal is to organize in the wilderness
within the group exist skilled mountainfolk and day hikers and all between
their comminality skill at self reliance
their bond secured by times
their peace by need
they cohort
never a mout is heard in decent from one to another
these are the ones who need no bed
and have a rule
no dramma
that sees them thru
where others stumble on lack.
the hikers unite
from the least , to warren,.....and survive proud. nary a word of dissent.
ours is the gifted group .these times, this second great deppression, will see us thrive.
all our gain, for others unfound.

camojack
05-01-2011, 00:25
your all hitting on the same idea but need me to draw it for you with my special large size pencil.

what i write next gives the reader the feeling ....not the verbal hearing,.....of the point we discuss. stick with me...

the world suffers a shutdown for some reason
people gather in groups bonded by common goals
one such groups bonded goal is to organize in the wilderness
within the group exist skilled mountainfolk and day hikers and all between
their comminality skill at self reliance
their bond secured by times
their peace by need
they cohort
never a mout is heard in decent from one to another
these are the ones who need no bed
and have a rule
no drama
that sees them thru
where others stumble on lack.
the hikers unite
from the least , to warren,.....and survive proud. nary a word of dissent.
ours is the gifted group .these times, this second great deppression, will see us thrive.
all our gain, for others unfound.
No drama?! Since when? :confused:

Skywalker
05-17-2011, 16:23

It's a crime if the estimable Stephen Katz is not inducted to the AT Hall of Fame immediatley, if not sooner. I have quite the affinity for such an amiable screwup. He fits neatly in the Bell Curve of hikers. Remember, he made it way past Neel's Gap.
Notice I'm not nomination his hiking partner, Mr. Bryson. He's reaped enough rewards from the hiking community, without giving anything back in return.

Skywalker

John B
05-17-2011, 16:54
Notice I'm not nomination his hiking partner, Mr. Bryson. He's reaped enough rewards from the hiking community, without giving anything back in return.

Skywalker

Just out of curiousity, how do you know what he 'gave back' or not? And what was he supposed to give back? To whom?

Nean
05-17-2011, 17:07
I'm not sure what the HOF is really...:o Is it a plaque where they post your name?:confused:

Most of the sure bets are already in the museum.:-?
Earl, Grandma, Benton, Myron, Gene- are the folks in the museum when it opened. :sun
I have two friends in there too- Jack and Geek!:)

Panzer1
05-17-2011, 17:30

Bryson gave his book to the hiking community. Doesn't that count?

Panzer

Nean
05-18-2011, 14:38
I'm not sure what the HOF is really...:o Is it a plaque where they post your name?:confused:

Most of the sure bets are already in the museum.:-?
Earl, Grandma, Benton, Myron, Gene- are the folks in the museum when it opened. :sun
I have two friends in there too- Jack and Geek!:)

oh jeez- I forgot Ed.:o

still not sure what the hall of fame actually is....:confused:

I guess no/any museum is REALLY needed in living life but I think its pretty cool to have a place that keeps the past alive. :-?

It can always be debated who is worthy to be in a just walkin museum- but I'm thinking... just walkers? ....maybe some of the folks that made our trail lifestyle possible...?;)

Nothing can replace the mutual respect I share with the people I respect from the trail- people like LW for instance.:)

But will/should I feel shame when I go in?:confused: No, its a honor- worthy or not..:D

double d
05-18-2011, 15:29
If someone or institution wants to create a HOF, then if that is an interest to you, then fine, if not, same thing.

Nean
05-18-2011, 15:54
If someone or institution wants to create a HOF, then if that is an interest to you, then fine, if not, same thing.

Fine is a good thing.;) Live and let....:)

4shot
05-19-2011, 10:22
I think it would be cool if they had wax figures in the hof of all these famous hikers and also a little train that you could sit in and ride past them so you could eat some Snickers and gorp too all in an airconditioned building.and when you got done with the ride a trail angel could hook you up with some hotdogs and cokes then shuttle you back to your car.

Sly
05-19-2011, 22:33

and who is that?

SGT Rock.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/memberlist.php?order=DESC&sort=posts&pp=100

Wow, I'm number at number 3 and have been taking it easy the past year or two. :D

Panzer1
05-19-2011, 23:49
Wow, I'm number at number 3 and have been taking it easy the past year or two. :D

Come on Sly, you gota get back into the swing of things. start cranking out those posts.

Panzer

Nean
05-20-2011, 03:48
I think it would be cool if they had wax figures in the hof of all these famous hikers and also a little train that you could sit in and ride past them so you could eat some Snickers and gorp too all in an airconditioned building.and when you got done with the ride a trail angel could hook you up with some hotdogs and cokes then shuttle you back to your car.

Dude- you ride arouind in a tea cup roller coaster and the first figurine the cup spins past is YOU! :)

How does it feeel to be both famous AND cool?:confused:

I'm like total jealous dude.:o

Sly
05-20-2011, 09:33
I think what most on Whiteblaze are forgetting is for the typical patron of the Museum, they're not going to know who the movers and shakers are that help build the trail or the history, or the more famous people that hiked the trail. The HOF will help introduce people that helped make the trail what it is. You certainly can't have a trail museum without mentioning a handful of people.

4shot
05-20-2011, 09:58
How does it feeel to be both famous AND cool?:confused:

to be truthful, it's ok but I wish I was famous and cool in something that paid better than hiking....I'd rather be Brittney Spears or Kid Rock or somebody awesome like that!!!

what if they had these plywood figures of just a regular hiker with his pack...the kind that has holes that you just stick your face through...so you could move it around and get your picture with whichever hall of famer you wanted (or even all of them) so you could come home and show them to your friends and then put them on your facebook page.would that be totally awesome too or what?

Nean
05-20-2011, 15:09
I think what most on Whiteblaze are forgetting is for the typical patron of the Museum, they're not going to know who the movers and shakers are that help build the trail or the history, or the more famous people that hiked the trail. The HOF will help introduce people that helped make the trail what it is. You certainly can't have a trail museum without mentioning a handful of people.

This is true- but they are already in the museum- along with the history of the trail. ;)It is very well done too.

So are all these people I mentioned above going to be reintroduced in another part of the museum? I don't understand I guess what a hall of fame- within a museum- is.:confused:
I'm thinking its a way to recognize folks w/o the cost and space of individual exibits.:-?

mweinstone
05-20-2011, 18:55
ms and his beautiful wife barb were guests in billville this traildays. we had a blast, a talk, and a plan. all was fine. a good time. ms looks clear and comfy. barbs cool. they have great plans. and children on the way soon.

mweinstone
05-20-2011, 19:03
we can all be a little less self agrandizing in thisy here community i belive and humbely suggest. comming into our hiking world is intimidating and filled with peer presures. we might wanna curb some of that so as to get a few more inches of streatch out of our comfort boundrys and let in some new blood yo. ms seemed really comfortable in his own skin and full of beamish pride for his love found. kinda like what hikers do? yes. he is us dudes. we need to remember that. were alll each other, in a way. lets be nicer next time we meet an ms. yes? i still feel shame for our behavior to some.

mweinstone
05-20-2011, 19:09
lets never forget, that the skills we posses and the trails we call ours, are the dreams of those who, have only dreams. in some cases. we must nurture all and any attempt by a one to love our hikerdom. in this we cannot have a higherhope of a trail for every future huiman. for what a world would it be if a single child had no trail? we all are here. we all hike. some proud. be humble in your pride. sometimes our commings and goings into and out of the trails, are others only veiws.

mweinstone
05-20-2011, 19:16
if i were in a wheelchair with no ability to stand
i would pray for the proud hiker
humility and grace for him or her
then i would curse the devil.
i personally hike for no man.
but if i choose?
i hike for the bound.
allways.
never celebrating a one.
but all.
and him.
oxoxoxomatty

Wise Old Owl
05-20-2011, 19:39
Matty - you are hoggin' the thread. (3 posts) oops 4

weary
05-20-2011, 20:36
Matty - you are hoggin' the thread. ...
Who better to do so?

Nean
05-20-2011, 22:37
I have an appreciation for Mattys talent.:)

Back to the subject of thru-hiking, I do think it is over rated.:eek:

You could spend 5-6 months hiking half the miles or 5-6 months doing more miles w/o finihing and still have a simular experience as a 5-6 month thru hike.:-?
Its more about time spent out backpacking that gives us more- or less experience.:)

While the ugly thru hiker will always be around, so will the insecure section hiker.:rolleyes:

Skywalker
08-26-2011, 15:05
They're all Shakespearean characters--greater than average strengths and weakenesses. But they do help give the Appalachian Trail its famous culture, and make it more than just a path in the woods.

Skywalker

Sly
08-26-2011, 15:38
http://www.atmuseum.org/Hall%20of%20Fame%20charter%20class_files/mackaye11a.jpg Benton MacKaye -- He is the person who first proposed the idea of an Appalachian Trail in his 1921 article, "An Appalachian Trail: A Project in Regional Planning." MacKaye was responsible for convening and organizing the first Appalachian Trail "conference" in Washington, D.C., in 1925. That gathering of hikers, foresters and public officials embraced the goal of building the Trail. They established an organization, called the Appalachian Trail Conference (now Conservancy), and appointed MacKaye as its "field organizer." Without his vision and inspiration, the Appalachian Trail would probably never have been built.

http://www.atmuseum.org/Hall%20of%20Fame%20charter%20class_files/avery11a.jpg Myron Avery -- Avery and five colleagues formed the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club in 1927. Avery was elected president, and remained in that position until 1941. In 1930 he became acting chairman of ATC, and in 1931 was elected to the chairmanship, a position he held until 1952. A dynamo of activity, Avery seized control of the Appalachian Trail and drove it to completion. If Benton MacKaye envisioned the trail, Avery built it. He knitted the trail clubs together into a cohesive group, communicating by letter to volunteers up and down the Atlantic seaboard. Avery had a hand in forming a number of trail clubs, and became the founder of the Maine Appalachian Trail Club in his home state. He was the first person to walk the entire trail, pushing his ever-present measuring wheel in front of him. His vision of the physical trail included a blazing system (he was responsible for the 2x6-inch white blaze), detailed maps and guidebooks, and wide publicity. He wanted the trail to be accessible to the "average tramper" (his words) -- it was to be a "people's trail."

http://www.atmuseum.org/Hall%20of%20Fame%20charter%20class_files/perkins11a.jpg Arthur Perkins -- An avid outdoorsman who, in the late 1920s, spearheaded the effort to make Benton MacKaye's dream of an Appalachian Trail a reality. After MacKaye's initial inspiration in the early 1920s, work on building the A.T. had largely stalled. Without Perkins' persistence, the A.T. might never have been built. Judge Perkins was also the second chairman of the Appalachian Trail Conference (now Conservancy), serving from 1927 to 1930.

http://www.atmuseum.org/Hall%20of%20Fame%20charter%20class_files/shaffer11a.jpg Earl Shaffer -- While Benton MacKaye developed the Trail in concept and Myron Avery built the Trail, it was Earl Shaffer who pioneered the concept of thru-hiking. His notion of a 2,000-mile continuous wilderness expedition by foot was unheard of at the time, yet it went lengths to popularize the A.T. and propagate how the Trail is thought of today. Thousands of adventurers have since followed in Earl's footsteps, taking journeys that have in many cases changed lives and redirected priorities.

http://www.atmuseum.org/Hall%20of%20Fame%20charter%20class_files/espy11a.jpg

Gene Espy -- In 1951, Gene became the second person to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail. His recent book, "The Trail of My Life -- The Gene Espy Story" has inspired many to follow in his footsteps. Gene is almost unique as a trail pioneer who is still alive and able to personally receive the honor of a place in the charter class of the Appalachian Trail Hall of Fame.

http://www.atmuseum.org/Hall%20of%20Fame%20charter%20class_files/garvey11a.jpg Ed Garvey -- He thru-hiked the A.T. in 1970, when it was still fairly rare to do so. The popularity of his 1971 book, "Appalachian Hiker," arguably did more to raise the awareness of thru-hiking than any other single event. In his book, Ed carefully explained his preparations and gathered useful information along the way that would be of benefit to those who would follow in his footsteps. Mr. Garvey also volunteered countless hours helping to build the trail while working in Washington, D.C.

BobTheBuilder
08-26-2011, 16:30
Aaaaaahhhhhhh, a happy ending to a contentious forum thread. Very cool.

lemon b
08-26-2011, 20:11
Had a smoke with Jack years back. My take is that he was just into hiking and would care less about who is judging who. Never heard about the rest of these cats. Hike your own hike.

Lugnut
08-26-2011, 20:35
No one (except Lone Wolf, since he feels no one is entitled) would disagree with these first inductees. Now if it just doesn't become a popularity contest!

Jack Tarlin
08-26-2011, 20:39
Thanx for the kind words, Lemon. Just in case there's any doubt about this, I was entirely unaware of this nomination nonsense until well after it was announced; I neither knew about it nor sought it ought out. I'm on public record as having questioned the need for an A.T. Hall of Fame, and when it became apparent that the Hall would become a reality, I very early on stated that there should be just three nominees and entrants, i.e. McKaye, Avery, and Shaffer, and that after this, the Hall could then be closed to future admissions. Several years later, I feel the same way.

DavidNH
08-26-2011, 21:18
so which of these guys would walk out alive? Anyone wanna place bets?

Sly
08-26-2011, 21:30
I think there are a few others that should also be included, Peace Pilgrim, Grandma Gatewood, Dave Startzell, Sam Waddle, Jean Cashin...

Lugnut
08-26-2011, 22:16
Maybe they should quit while they're ahead.

Tim51
09-01-2011, 10:08
i dont think there should be a hall-o-fame for hikers. but maybe one for folks like Bob Peoples or Miss Janet, or the many others that affect the A.T. in such a positive way year in and year out.

Sly
09-01-2011, 14:59
i dont think there should be a hall-o-fame for hikers. but maybe one for folks like Bob Peoples or Miss Janet, or the many others that affect the A.T. in such a positive way year in and year out.

The AT Hall of Fame isn't exclusively for hikers. here's the criteria...

It would seem Miss Janet and certainly Bob Peoples fit the criteria.

weary
09-01-2011, 20:33
The AT Hall of Fame isn't exclusively for hikers. here's the criteria...

It would seem Miss Janet and certainly Bob Peoples fit the criteria.

Miss Janet is a delightful person, who has done great things for hikers over the years, as has Bob Peaples. But I think the real heroes are folks like Dave Field who has devoted 50 plus years of his life as a member and leader of the trail community. I'm sorry. The bugs in this site make it impossible to have a legeitiamet discussion any more. I can't type when my message keeps bouncing all over the screen. Adminis trators, for God's sake fiz the problem, or close the site.

Jack Tarlin
09-01-2011, 20:43
As anyone who's been here awhile knows, Weary and I have gone at it cats and dogs for years on all sorts of stuff, some of which, on occasion, was even consequential. I just want to take a minute and agree with him on something: In the entire history of the A.T., there probably haven't been 10 people more important than Dave Field, or who have contributed more. If you've visited or hiked any or all of the A.T. in Maine, this is the guy who deserves your thanks. Bravo, Weary, for bringing this up.

Lone Wolf
09-01-2011, 20:57
hostel owners are hardly hall of fame worthy. seriously.

CrumbSnatcher
09-01-2011, 21:18
bob peoples belongs in the HALL but not cause he owns a hostel :-)

lemon b
09-01-2011, 21:49

Spokes
09-01-2011, 22:17
...i just picture MS stuffing rolls in his pockets.:)

Rolls? I thought it was cans of dehydrated squid?

Spokes
09-01-2011, 22:19
bob peoples belongs in the HALL but not cause he owns a hostel :-)

All the animals would vote for Bob that's for sure.

Sly
09-01-2011, 22:32
Miss Janet is a delightful person, who has done great things for hikers over the years, as has Bob Peaples. But I think the real heroes are folks like Dave Field who has devoted 50 plus years of his life as a member and leader of the trail community. I'm sorry. The bugs in this site make it impossible to have a legeitiamet discussion any more. I can't type when my message keeps bouncing all over the screen. Adminis trators, for God's sake fiz the problem, or close the site.

If I haven't mentioned Dave Fields it's only because several others have. I was responding to a previous post that thought Miss Janet and Bob Peoples deserve to be included by stating the criteria the HOF board uses to pick inductees. The way it's set up, I think it will be a few years until most of the movers and shakers of the AT are inducted.

As far as bugs with the new upgrade, I've noticed a couple from time to time but nothing like you're describing.

max patch
09-01-2011, 23:21
Jensine in 2012.