PDA

View Full Version : Tarptents...

Chubbs4U
04-25-2011, 23:19
As I read around this site I have read nothing but wonderful things about Tarptent and their customer service. I am having a not so pleasant experience so far as I ordered a tent on the 15th and I was told it was shipping out shortly after they seam sealed it. I emailed them Sunday and didnt hear anything from them today. As of now it seems they havent shipped it yet and now I see on their site their is a 2 week back order. Im hoping they were just away for the holiday.

Update
I just got an email back and now they are telling me my liner wont be in til Wednesday. So it wont ship until at least then. Not sure why they didnt tell me this last week.

88BlueGT
04-26-2011, 15:51
That kind of stinks, what tent did you order? I put an order in for a TT Rainbow a few hours ago, he informed me that they MAY get them in tomorrow or next week at the latest. I guess sometimes you have to deal with this kind of stuff when you deal with a small business.

wrongway_08
04-26-2011, 16:06
Yea, its a small business. Sometimes it happens.

They are a great company, have done everything to help me out when I need something or a new tent.

Give them a break and wait till you get the tent, will be worth it.

tuswm
04-26-2011, 21:42
yea what tent did you get?

Chubbs4U
04-26-2011, 21:47
Ordered the rainbow. The issue is they said they were seam sealing it and was going out Wed or so last week and it was going to ship out the next day. Then they didn't respond to an email I sent Sunday night til I sent another 1 Monday night. Now they are supposed to get the liner this Wed so it should ship this week. Just wish they would of given a heads up instead of me checking my doorstep everyday. That would of been good customer service IMO. I mean if you say something and that doesnt happen and you dont give the customer a heads up then how am I supposed to know whats going on.

stranger
04-27-2011, 04:19
Small company means limited resources, shipping and production delays...nothing new.

88BlueGT
04-27-2011, 09:37
I didn't realize he would of seam sealed it for me, I should have him do mine!

Chubbs4U
04-27-2011, 12:52
Yeah I emailed them asking if they could do it and they sent me a link so I just had to click on it. If I didn't have the link, I would never of known that they do that.

tuswm
04-27-2011, 14:48
Ordered the rainbow. The issue is they said they were seam sealing it and was going out Wed or so last week and it was going to ship out the next day. Then they didn't respond to an email I sent Sunday night til I sent another 1 Monday night. Now they are supposed to get the liner this Wed so it should ship this week. Just wish they would of given a heads up instead of me checking my doorstep everyday. That would of been good customer service IMO. I mean if you say something and that doesnt happen and you dont give the customer a heads up then how am I supposed to know whats going on.

Good choice, I hope you like it.

bfayer
04-27-2011, 18:54
Yeah I emailed them asking if they could do it and they sent me a link so I just had to click on it. If I didn't have the link, I would never of known that they do that.

Interesting. I emailed them twice asking if they would seem seal a new Rainshadow 2 for me when I bought it. They have never emailed me back, which is why I have not ordered the Rainshadow 2.

I will try to email them again, but I am reluctant to order a tent from them if they won't reply to my emails.

skinewmexico
04-27-2011, 19:01
The best thing about dealing with a cottage manufacturer is the ability to call and speak to a human. Usually the owner.

bfayer
04-27-2011, 19:12
The best thing about dealing with a cottage manufacturer is the ability to call and speak to a human. Usually the owner.

Assuming your schedule works for talking to someone on the west coast when you are on the east coast. But that is the great thing about email, time zones do not matter.

4shot
04-27-2011, 19:15
I ordered the Double Rainbow and asked that it be seamsealed.it was sent that way but I had to do it twice more myself to finally get it right. These are the facts. With that being said, it was an awesome tents and the leaks were very minor . I spoke to Henry two or three times , very nice guy and have no regrets with ordering a Tarptent. just get one and seamseal it yourself.

bfayer
04-27-2011, 19:26
Wow ask and you shall receive. I just got an email from Henry with all the info I need.

Chubbs4U
04-28-2011, 15:50
So I emailed them this morning and got an email back. Shipped out yesterday and supposed to be here Saturday. Whats the weather like next week...

sbhikes
04-28-2011, 16:13
Assuming your schedule works for talking to someone on the west coast when you are on the east coast. But that is the great thing about email, time zones do not matter.

Seriouslly you just take your cellphone into the bathroom on your bathroom break. Don't actually be USING the bathroom.

88BlueGT
04-28-2011, 16:38
So I emailed them this morning and got an email back. Shipped out yesterday and supposed to be here Saturday. Whats the weather like next week...

So that means that mine should have been shipped out as well. Good deal! :sun

tuswm
04-28-2011, 17:30

I am heading down to SNP with a few friends. we are going sunday to tuesday or next week. u r welcome to come. I think it might be all couples so bring your better half. Ill be trying out my new ULA OHM.:D

tuswm
04-28-2011, 17:33
I have delt with a few of these places and I have found that while they answer email it might take a while. Just call. I was able to get some freebies added to my pack by ULA by no charge. all i had to do was ask. Also when i asked about shipping they upgraded me for 2 bucks but on the web site it was like $20. I have also talked to Henry over at TT when I didnt understand how to use hiking poles for wind and snow load. He explained it to me better and faster over the phone that any email.

If you ever need to talk to one of these small industry guys just call. its faster and you can ask questions.

bfayer
04-28-2011, 17:37
Seriouslly you just take your cellphone into the bathroom on your bathroom break. Don't actually be USING the bathroom.

That's when I get to talk to my wife and kids :)

Chubbs4U
04-28-2011, 18:30
88blueGT- I ordered mine on the 15 of this month. Not sure when you ordered yours. Here is the link for seam seal from TT...

http://www.tarptent.com/cgi-bin/surfshop1/shop.cgi?&c=detail.htm&itemid=204

Chubbs4U
04-29-2011, 14:22
Got mine today. Sweet. Anyone use the Tyvek groundsheet?

88BlueGT
04-29-2011, 15:10
I ordered mine on the 26th. He did say that he was waiting on tents, he could of had them the day after (on the 27th or a week after). Considering we both ordered a Rainbow I'm assuming that he got them on the 27th and both of our tents shipped out the same day (or within a day).

I'm so jealous you got yours already!!! damn!! LOL I would be absolutely AMAZED if I went home and there was a tent sitting on my front porch!!!!!!!!! I won't hold my breath though :(

88BlueGT
04-29-2011, 15:11
Chubbs, thanks for the link. I did purchase the seam sealer with the tent, just did not have him do it. I should of had him just do it for me but Oh well, guess its better to do it yourself anyway so you know its done right.

Quick question on seam sealing while were on the topic, after application, do you need to let it stand for a bit before wiping off or is this something that is done within a minute or two?

jeffmeh
04-29-2011, 17:12
Chubbs, thanks for the link. I did purchase the seam sealer with the tent, just did not have him do it. I should of had him just do it for me but Oh well, guess its better to do it yourself anyway so you know its done right.

Quick question on seam sealing while were on the topic, after application, do you need to let it stand for a bit before wiping off or is this something that is done within a minute or two?

You really don't wipe it off, you let it dry. If your patient enough, a second coat is not a bad idea either.

tuswm
04-29-2011, 17:17
did anyone else have issues with tyvek on wet ground? I am switching to polycro (plastic)

LIhikers
04-29-2011, 18:07
Interesting. I emailed them twice asking if they would seem seal a new Rainshadow 2 for me when I bought it. They have never emailed me back, which is why I have not ordered the Rainshadow 2.

I will try to email them again, but I am reluctant to order a tent from them if they won't reply to my emails.

Go ahead and order it. My wife and I, plus our dog, use a Rainshadow 2 and it's a great tent. It's got plenty of room plus it keeps out the weather and the bugs.

BradMT
04-29-2011, 19:58
As I read around this site I have read nothing but wonderful things about Tarptent and their customer service. I am having a not so pleasant experience so far as I ordered a tent on the 15th and I was told it was shipping out shortly after they seam sealed it. I emailed them Sunday and didnt hear anything from them today. As of now it seems they havent shipped it yet and now I see on their site their is a 2 week back order. Im hoping they were just away for the holiday.

Update
I just got an email back and now they are telling me my liner wont be in til Wednesday. So it wont ship until at least then. Not sure why they didnt tell me this last week.

You know, it's pretty damn-lame getting on a public BB and bitche about a small Co. that tries hard. You really should grow up... the world doesn't work on your schedule and maybe answering hand-wringing e-mails is slowing the same small Co. down from doing what they do... MAKING GREAT TENTS.

Chubbs4U
04-29-2011, 20:26
Umm Brad I think your off a bit. When a company, any size, tells you one thing, we as consumers, assume that they are going to follow through. When they dont follow through is when I, the consumer, make a post on a public forum wondering if anyone else was having the same problem. As it turns out a few were and we all talked about it here. What I dont understand are people that respond to a post and add nothing to it. I havent used their tent yet but with all the research Ive done it seems I shouldnt have a problem. Remember I did order from them and they do have my hard earned money so I expect, just like everyone else, to have good customer service, which in the end is what I got.

88BlueGT
04-29-2011, 20:43
^^^ I agree. If someone chooses to open a business the customer is entitled to good customer service. Not saying that he didn't get good customer service, just making a statement.

Sorry for my post that adds no value though :D haha

88BlueGT
04-29-2011, 21:17
You really don't wipe it off, you let it dry. If your patient enough, a second coat is not a bad idea either.

Excuse my ignorance as I have never seam-sealed a tent before. The only reason I thought you wiped it off is because on the TarpTents website he has a quick demo of seam-sealing and he instructs to wipe off and wipe the sealant into the grooves of the tent. I wasn't really fond of that and thats why I asked.

I have no problems with patients, I would rather put the work in now than to have something go wrong in the future. Is it necessary to wait 24hrs before applying a second coat?

tuswm
04-29-2011, 21:26
When I did mine I used a foam tipped brush and did another coat in the morning. I also did a coat inside the tent. I did not do the floor though. over time I have found is not as slick.

BradMT
04-29-2011, 21:30
Umm Brad I think your off a bit. When a company, any size, tells you one thing, we as consumers, assume that they are going to follow through. When they dont follow through is when I, the consumer, make a post on a public forum wondering if anyone else was having the same problem. As it turns out a few were and we all talked about it here. What I dont understand are people that respond to a post and add nothing to it. I havent used their tent yet but with all the research Ive done it seems I shouldnt have a problem. Remember I did order from them and they do have my hard earned money so I expect, just like everyone else, to have good customer service, which in the end is what I got.

Hand-wringing-whiner.

Chubbs4U
04-30-2011, 00:46
Wish I knew what a "hand-wringing-whiner" was. Then I would take offense. Opinions are like ********, we all have them...

88BlueGT
04-30-2011, 11:34
When I did mine I used a foam tipped brush and did another coat in the morning. I also did a coat inside the tent. I did not do the floor though. over time I have found is not as slick.

I am definitely going to do the floor but I'm not sure how. In the TarpTent video he just runs the brush down the middle of the floor. I was thinking more along the lines of 'dotting' the floor with silicone instead of making the strips. It doesn't seem that the strips of thinned silicone will be all that effective.

No Belay
04-30-2011, 13:14
I've owned 3 Tarptents and my only regret is that I didn't discover Henry's great tents sooner. While volunteering as a Pelican "washer" during the BP disaster, my Scarp fly, poles, and pegs were stolen by someone I hope needed them worse than me. I contacted Henry and he had a replacement set to me in just a few days. What amazed me most is that Henry sent them at no cost to me as his contribution to assist in our effort to save the wildlife in the Miss and La area. What other company would exhibit or even consider such a gesture of stewardship?

Tarptents are in big demand due to their quality and durability and since it's a grass roots business, Henry is not able to keep a large inventory on hand. Material shortages, logistical snafus, and folks bugging him with perpetual e-mails cause unexpected delays and occasionally unfulfilled good intentions.

Seam sealing procedures should be learned and performed by the tent owner as it's usually not a one time procedure. I've never owned a tent that I didn't have to redo on a semi-regular basis. It's very simple to do and requires only a narrow brush, some clear silicone, and mineral spirits to thin it with.

My suggestion to those that order a "custom" tent in the peak of the season and expect immediate delivery would be to stick with the mediocre cookie cutter style tents that you can buy off the shelf at the "Big Box" outdoor outlets.

Savor Happy!

TaTonka

Chubbs4U
04-30-2011, 13:27
Im not sure why I need to justify myself to a bunch of people I dont know but here goes. When I ordered my TT they were not on back order, at least not the Rainbow. I ordered it on the 15th. On the 17th they said they could ship it but couldnt seam seal it. I had them seam seal it. By the 19th it was seam sealed. At that point I thought it would be shipped, they never said anything about waiting for a liner. On the 24th I sent another email. On the 25th they responded and said they were waiting for the liners. Apparently they had over 30 tents waiting for these liners. So at this point its been 6 days since it was seam sealed and they just told me about the liners so I thought that I would of had my tent in hand by then. If they would of just said they were waiting for something then not an issue but I was never informed until 6 days later. If you think that I am out of line then so be it. I set my tent up today and love it. Have no issues with TT and will order again.

BradMT
04-30-2011, 16:28
Im not sure why I need to justify myself to a bunch of people I dont know but here goes.

Because you started a whine/bitch thread about a respected albeit small manufacturer a public forum... difficult to grasp obviously.

BradMT
04-30-2011, 16:31
If you think that I am out of line then so be it.

It's a free country... you can be a public whiner if you want. Just don't expect to post chit like you did and not get called for it.

Some serious growing up is needed by you obviously... a few days wait. Un-friggin-real.

tuswm
04-30-2011, 16:45
Dude i dont get it... why r u giving chubbs such a hard time. He did express some frustration and stated his experience. But he also stated how the vendor was handling the situation. When i am looking to invest I find this type of thread the most valuable. When a transaction goes as planned everyone is happy but the world isnt a perfect place. This is where customer service comes in. This thread lets us know that HS will take care of its customers. I also think Chubbs was looking for more info and asking other customers what to expect.

When I ordered, I ordered the wrong foot print online. He sent it to me and I called him about it and explained it was my fault. He said it was his fault for not catching it when filling the order and sent me a new one and paid all the shipping cost.

<<< happy tarp tent DR owner.

PS I think brad needs a hike and to blow off some steam

<<<Puts flame suit on>>>>

EJC
05-03-2011, 22:42
:confused: Which tarptent do you prefer out of the double rainbow, the cloudburst 2 and the squall 2? I was thinking about getting the squall 2 because it can set up with trekking poles...

88BlueGT
05-03-2011, 23:22
Brad, it seems to me that you are the only one whining.

Relax. We get it. You love tarptents, we all do ;)

REEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXXX

BradMT
05-07-2011, 02:19
Brad, it seems to me that you are the only one whining.

Relax. We get it. You love tarptents, we all do ;)

REEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXXX

Must be a generational thing... everyone in their 30's and under is special. Just ask their parents. Things don't go right instantly you get on the internet and whine.

I think I understand perfectly...