PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help with NJ/NY hike...

88BlueGT
04-26-2011, 14:53
Hey guys, I'm going to do all of NJ in a few weeks and I'm trying to setup my schedule for a ride. Here is a good reference so you can know what I'm talking about.

http://www.trailsource.com/appalachian-trail/appalachian-trail-map.asp?state=New%20Jersey

I'm starting at Dunnfield Creek trail head (NJ/PA) and going to the NJ/NY state line. Now, if you look at that map, about 3/4 of a mile below the state line (where the at crosses into NY) there shows that there is parking (right by Greenwood Lake). Problem is, it doesn't even look like theres access to that parking lot from the AT. Also, does anyone have any more information on this parking spot so I can give my ride the best information possible (surrounding landmarks, etc.) Thank you!

Skid.
04-26-2011, 15:14
The AT Guide map shows a Blue blazed trail that goes to the parking lot along Greenwood Lake, and it is called State Line Trail. You refer to a parking area 3/4 mile below the state line. If by 'below' you mean lower in elevation, that would be it. Maybe someone else can help you with landmarks, but your ride should be aware that there is an "Upper" Greenwood Lake, as well as Greenwood Lake, so they want to be on the correct one.

88BlueGT
04-26-2011, 15:38
Oh ok, the map that I was using does not show blue blazed trails unfortunately. I did however order the new AT guide but it prob won't be here until the end of the week.

Thank you greenwood lake reference, that's exactly the kind of stuff I was talking about!

I may shorten the trip a little bit, maybe start a little further down. Not sure if trying to crunch all of NJ in 4 night/5 days is a wise idea :rolleyes: Especially with new boots, new tent and possibly new sleeping bag.

WingedMonkey
04-26-2011, 16:00
Parking on the New Jersey Appalachian Trail:

http://rohland.homedns.org/AT/State/state_menu/at_state_menu.aspx?id=3

Skid.
04-26-2011, 16:11
Also, be sure to stop at the Mayor's House, aka 'the Out House' in Unionville NY, where the AT meanders back and forth across the NJ/NY state line. When you get a few miles from Lott Road, call (845) 726-3894. Dick will send Butch out to give you a ride to his place. Not to be missed.

88BlueGT
04-26-2011, 16:14
Thank you wingedmonkey, that's perfect!

88BlueGT
04-26-2011, 16:17
Also, be sure to stop at the Mayor's House, aka 'the Out House' in Unionville NY, where the AT meanders back and forth across the NJ/NY state line. When you get a few miles from Lott Road, call (845) 726-3894. Dick will send Butch out to give you a ride to his place. Not to be missed.

What is it? Sounds like a trap :D

Skid.
04-26-2011, 17:06
What is it? Sounds like a trap :D

I love your comment!! The Outhouse DOES sound like a trap, and that's exactly what I thought at the time! And, there are even some locals who envy Dick and his staff so much, that they will try to convince you that it is a trap. However, if you look in the latest "Thru Hikers Guide to the AT", you will see Dick Ludwick described simply as "a friend to hikers". That is an understatement. If you go there, be sure to arrive before 4:00 pm, because they need to know how many to expect for dinner. You will be offered a shower; the chance to wash your clothes; and a 'family style' dinner. Vegetarian? -- Dick will do his best to accommodate you. Cost? -- just leave something in the "Doyle Hotel" coffee mug on the mantle when you leave. Can't afford a donation? No problem!!

dperry
04-26-2011, 19:41
Now, if you look at that map, about 3/4 of a mile below the state line (where the at crosses into NY) there shows that there is parking (right by Greenwood Lake). Problem is, it doesn't even look like theres access to that parking lot from the AT. Also, does anyone have any more information on this parking spot so I can give my ride the best information possible (surrounding landmarks, etc.) Thank you!

If you're referring to the lot marked "State Line Trail" on the Google Map you linked to, it's barely 100 yards south of the border, not 3/4 of a mile. If your ride is coming north on Rt 511, along the shore of Greenwood Lake, just before the NY border there will be a large white building on the right with a bunch of boats. This is the Greenwood Lake Marina (and will have signs that say the same.) On the opposite side of the road, which is the west side (away from the lake), your ride will see this driveway:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Greenwood+Lake,+NY&aq=0&sll=40.092781,-75.297546&sspn=0.463298,0.877533&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Greenwood+Lake,+Orange,+New+York&ll=41.185501,-74.331436&spn=0,0.109692&z=13&layer=c&cbll=41.185681,-74.331316&panoid=5Qr2oZwjNvnkoCsduwfInw&cbp=12,290.41,,0,-7.26

They should pull all the way up to the top of the driveway where they will see a kiosk at the trailhead. Note that parking is not allowed overnight (I think that is defined as after 8 pm.)

If your ride is going north and they cross over the border, they've gone a little too far. If they are coming south from New York, on NY Route 210, the lot will be just after the border on the right (again, away from the lake.)

dperry
04-26-2011, 19:58
Some other things I forgot:

1.) The State Line Trail connects with the AT just before the border. If you're going NOBO, you will have climbed up to the top of the ridge overlooking Greenwood Lake (Bearfort or Beaufort Mountain--I always forget which side of the border is which.) You will then make a 90 degree left turn and follow the ridge for about 1/4 mile. The trail will descend into a small clearing with a mostly rocky floor. There will be a very obvious set of arrows painted on the rock--you can see one of them here:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=1953&catid=searchresults&searchid=36443

You should follow the arrow that this guy is standing over (marked "SL".) This is NOT the actual state line, despite the caption of the photo. If you DO see the actual state line:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=39491&catid=searchresults&searchid=36444

you've gone a little too far and should go back.

The State Line Trail is about 1.2 miles from the AT to the lot. There will be a bit of clambering over rocks before you make the final descent, but nothing you won't be used to by that point given your plans. :D Note that there is also a yellow-blazed trail that leaves the State Line Trail not far after you leave the AT. Don't use this; stay on the blue blazes.

2.) If you have time after your pickup, and you like pizza, check out Ashley's in downtown Greenwood Lake, NY (right off the main street) Looks like a total dive, but some of the best pizza my wife and I have ever had.

Awol2003
04-27-2011, 08:49

The Mayor is no longer running a hostel.

88BlueGT
04-27-2011, 09:21
Awol, thanks for the update.

dperry, your posts in this thread are absolutely amazing. Thank you for taking the time to write this up for me, it has made a world of difference for me and for my ride!

Oh and FYI, I'm really ticked that I'm not going to be able to see the state line, that's what this entire trip is about! :rolleyes: Eh, oh well.

dperry
05-01-2011, 15:05
dperry, your posts in this thread are absolutely amazing. Thank you for taking the time to write this up for me, it has made a world of difference for me and for my ride!

Hi, 88BlueGT,

No problem! Being that this is one of the few parts of the trail I've been on so far, it's a rare chance to show off my knowledge!:D

Oh and FYI, I'm really ticked that I'm not going to be able to see the state line, that's what this entire trip is about! :rolleyes: Eh, oh well.If you do want to see the actual state line, it's only a little bit farther on the main trail from the State Line trail junction. It won't take you more than five minutes at most. Don't forget to sign the trail register! ;)

LIhikers
05-01-2011, 20:33
............Oh and FYI, I'm really ticked that I'm not going to be able to see the state line, that's what this entire trip is about! :rolleyes: Eh, oh well.

If you want to see the NJ/NY state line let me suggest you end your hike in NY at route 17A instead of Greenwood Lake. It's not that much farther. There is parking there and I've left my car for days without any problem.