PDA

View Full Version : Help for a 3-5 day hike in mid/late May

skiman0o
04-26-2011, 18:33
Hi everyone,

I am new to the site and would like to say I am very impressed with everything I've seen thus far. I have been diving into the forums and links for the past few days and am astounded by everyone's passion to help each other.

I am a beginner to the AT, but have pretty good hiking experience and some light camping experience. I'd like to do a 3-5 day hike this mid-to-late May after I graduate college. I live in Boston currently, and would like to stay as close to the area as possible for this hike, given acceptable weather. I wouldn't mind hiking in cooler areas, so long as the cold does not become truly prohibitive. Could anyone please recommend some short hikes that would fit this description? I'd like to experience a great slice of the AT if possible.

I would also like to tent every night instead of shelters. Would this be possible, or are there any restrictions that I'd have to watch out for?

I'll be with one or two other people; both would also be of moderate experience and in great shape.

I appreciate any help I can get on this. Many thanks in advance!

Will

Cookerhiker
04-26-2011, 20:26
My understanding is that both Massachusetts and Connecticut restrict camping to designated areas. Usually this means shelters but some of these designated areas are tents only. For example, Sages Ravine on the CT/MA border has tenting areas and is a beautiful place to camp. Also, you don't have to stay in the shelters, just by them so you could still pitch your tent.

For me as a section hiker, Massachusetts broke nicely into 2 halves with Rt. 20 near Lee as the dividing line. My suggestion: start hiking south from Rt. 20 and see how far you get. It's 50 miles to the intersection with Rt. 41 near Salisbury, CT - perhaps you can go further. If it's too much, there are other road crossings and side trails on which to bail out.

In case you're wondering about VT, the Green Mountain Club discourages hiking prior to Memorial Day when mud season is at its zenith.

Good luck!

skiman0o
04-27-2011, 10:14
Thanks for the help, Cookerhiker. Any idea what kind of weather I can expect?

Cookerhiker
04-27-2011, 10:31
Since I am not a local, you probably have a better idea than me about the weather. Usually, May is a nice time to hike anywhere except Northern New England. I hiked the southern half of MA in the second half of April '05 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=94197) and had perfect, almost unrealistic, weather.

I suggest sending a PM to Cosmo here on WB. He lives in Western MA and always gives good advice to those who want to hike there.