PDA

View Full Version : Nemo Meta 1P + Obi Elite 1p

pyroman9
04-26-2011, 22:28
I have read up a bunch about the meta 1p and obi elite and looked around the site and found a few reviews but nothing in depth. This tent is some what new but appears to be one hell of a tent. They both weigh only 1lb 15oz.... single walled of coarse. But they read really well. Has anyone used one? I am really interested in the obi elite, but am not sure if it is available yet on the market...

Thanks for the help guys.

ChinMusic
04-26-2011, 22:39
They both weigh only 1lb 15oz.... single walled of coarse. But they read really well. Has anyone used one? I am really interested in the obi elite, but am not sure if it is available yet on the market...

The NEMO Obi Elite 1P is a DOUBLE wall tent.

I will be taking my Obi 2P to the field this weekend.

tat44too
04-26-2011, 22:46
I have the NEMO Meta 1P. Great tent...

pyroman9
04-26-2011, 22:55
thank you for correcting me on the obi elite.

it would be nice to have a free standing tent... obi elite.. however how are the poles? would they last a thru hike? or with the meta 1p you have your trekking pole which should most definately last the trip and if it does break... a stick works..

thoughts?

Limeman
05-20-2011, 01:06
Hi.

I own a Nemo Meta 1P, and have also had the opportunity to set up and look over a Obi 1P at length recently, which is identical to the Obi 1P Elite except it uses a slightly heavier-weight floor, fly and tent body, and utilizes two pole hubs to support both ends of the tent. The Elite uses a single hub setup quite like the BA Fly creek 1 and 2. You can see my overview of the Obi 1P here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72787)

My take on the poles from the Obi series is that they are the highest quality top-of-the-line DAC poles, and if treated properly, should easily make it through a thru-hike and then some. As far as using a stick to set up the Meta: that is very doable, but I have found that it is requires a very specific length to really get a taut pitch (can't remember off hand what that length is). That might be an issue with a random stick.

Thoughts of the Meta 1P vs. the Obi 1P Elite/1P: If you are comfortable with single-wall designs and their limitations (potential for increased condensation, etc), and space is a premium, I would have to give the nod to the Meta over the Obi Elite. The floor of the Meta 1P measures 36" wide and maintains that width the full 100" length, and has a peak height of 50". With 27 sq ft. floor area, it is as big as many 2P tents, and feels very spacious inside. The Obi Elite/1P just cannot compete with that, And while the vestibule in the Obi 1P/Elite is no slouch in size, it cannot compare to the vestibule in the Meta 1P either. Both tents allow you to peel back the entire door-side vestibule for increased ventilation and star-gazing (a very nice feature). Think of the Obi Elite/1P as a sleek sports car, the Meta is more like a relaxed sedan.

Negatives for the Meta 1P over the Obi Elite/Obi 1P (other than the obvious potential for more condensation issues) include a somewhat more complicated and slower setup, the need for more stakes to fully secure the tent, no internal loops for hanging lanterns, gear caddys or clothes lines (although it does have two internal pockets, one on the door side and one on the back side of the tent) and a larger over-all space requirement to properly stake out for inclement weather. It's taller stance might also make it more susceptible to deflection from high winds than the Obi Elite/1P, which sits lower and wider. In an emergency, you'd be hard pressed to fit another person into the Obi Elite/1P, but you could most certainly do that in the Meta 1P, especially if you slept head/toe. Both vestibule could accommodate another person in a pinch if necessary.

Really, it all comes down to your needs, the type of weather you're expecting and flexibility you require (the Obi beats out any single-wall shelter, including the Meta 1P in flexibility). I like both tents quite a bit, and if I was able to afford it, I'd have one of each!

Anyhow, I've attached some pix from my Meta 1P. FYI.. The NeoAir in pic 10 is a size Large, 25" wide. Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers!

FamilyGuy
05-21-2011, 10:00
That is a great looking tent. I would be concerned with length, however, for someone with a long bag. Those end walls slope down quite aggressively. Do you think a 'long' bag would fit?

Limeman
05-22-2011, 02:28
That is a great looking tent. I would be concerned with length, however, for someone with a long bag. Those end walls slope down quite aggressively. Do you think a 'long' bag would fit?

The Meta 1P is 100" in length, which should be more than sufficient for a 6' 6" bag. Yes, the walls slope aggressively, but if you guy and stake out the ends using your other trekking pole and a stick like in the below pic, it helps to "lift" the ends, creating even more room for your head and feet. I have found this really helpful and my guess is, you'd have room to spare, even if using a 2.5" air pad (neoair, etc).

Limeman
05-23-2011, 11:52
Pic one is a better example of what I was talking about. By lifting the head and foot ends of the tent via guyline/stake and trekking pole, sticks, whatever, you can increase the internal headroom of the head/foot ends of the Meta. Helps deal with wind deflection as well. The second and third pix give an idea of the triangulation formed internally by guying the ends this way. It creates a pocket that pulls the tent outward in a way that seems perfectly tailored for the head and foot of a sleeping bag, or sleeping person! ;)

You can see I have plenty of height between my feet and the wall. FYI... I had nearly 30" of length behind my head when I took that shot of my feet - I'm 5' 9".

Cheers!

stranger
05-26-2011, 01:48
I like this design, still think on a humid, damp Appalachian night you would have condensation dripping down the walls though.

I really like the huge vent on the back wall, and I really like how high up it is to avoid splashing! Well thought out.

Perhaps with the door half open, the peak and rear vents, you would have some good cross ventilation.

How protective is the storm flap over the zipper?

Limeman
05-27-2011, 16:54
Zipper is very well protected. The ability to open both sides of the fly "door-side" really opens things up to ventilation/views, but of course, that would not work too well with rain. Agree... like any single-wall, if you have the right conditions, you'll get the dreaded dripping walls. One feature I wished they had brought over from the Meta 2P is the outward leaning pole orientation. With the 2P, the poles lean outward at the top, allowing the fly to effectively cover the tent body door so you to keep things open in moderate rain without issue. Unfortunately, the pole in the Meta 1P leans inward at the top, thus negating that option. Still, as you mentioned, with the two-way zippers, large vestibule, ceiling vent and large back mesh opening, the options are numerous to manage condensation with the 1P.

tetonblue
09-07-2011, 20:34
Just did a quick forum search for this tent because I had to say in as few words as possible, that this is the favorite piece of camping equipment I have ever owned..

tetonblue
09-22-2011, 13:49
At least to this point.

Cloudynesz
10-12-2011, 14:12
I like my Meta 2P, superb quality, super easy to setup.

mapman
07-20-2012, 10:43
Nice comparison between the two tents. I am leaning towards the Nemo Obi 1P Elite or possibly a Big Sky Revolution 1P. Does anyone have comments about the Elite tent in general or the ability of the Obi 1P to withstand blowing rain on the head end of the tent. I am a little concerned about the single layer of floor material where the fly is elevated.
Thanks

ChinMusic
07-20-2012, 11:27
Nice comparison between the two tents. I am leaning towards the Nemo Obi 1P Elite or possibly a Big Sky Revolution 1P. Does anyone have comments about the Elite tent in general or the ability of the Obi 1P to withstand blowing rain on the head end of the tent. I am a little concerned about the single layer of floor material where the fly is elevated.
Thanks

That is a common theme is many/most NEMO tents. IMO it is a non-issue.