PDA

View Full Version : Ways to Save MORE on your gear...

ToeJam
01-24-2005, 08:33
OK, saving money and finding deals is my year-round hobby, I can do it no matter what the weather lol, and I used to know alot of deals you could put together, but thought I'd post a few store deals off the top of my head, and you guys can add more. Pretty sure these would not be the deal-breakes that would convince you to go thru one store over another, BUT if you were gonna buy at a certian place ANYway.... :) Can add up! :D

Sorry if been posted before!

Most are rebate type sites, etc.

www.Ebates.com - (you sign up and just click thru their link to get the credit - checks are cut quarterly last I knew!)

REI- 3% "discount" (they're all really rebates, but they COME!)
Altrec - 3%
Campin World - 4%
Cabelas - 2%
Bass Pro - 4%
Dicks Sporting Goods (Galyans) 3%
LL Bean 2%
REI Outlet 3%
Sportsman Guide 5%
Rocky Mountian Trail 6%

I am pretty sure Campmor used to be one of these, but looks like no more.

Then of course REi has their frequent buyer club as well.

Also, always checkout www.naughtycodes.com before you make any purchases, sometimes some good codes for free shipping or whatever.

ALso, my Citibank credit card has a feature where I can purchase gift certicaes thru their site and get 5% back, and REI for sure is one of the stores listed, so I had just bought a couple hundred of GC's and got 5% cash back form my credit card, and THEN went thru Ebates and will get another 3% back as well. Check out and see if your credit cards have any such deals. :)

ANy others? I will post more as they come to me as I further wake up lol!

Pencil Pusher
01-24-2005, 20:19
Here is the best way, short of outright stealing: Pro-deal. Basically it's a percentage off of wholesale. Manufacturer's are willing to do this so you (the salesperson) will more likely market their products. Badda bing, badda boom. Wholesale is what the store pays and you're getting a discount on that!:banana Just pick up a job working a few hours each night at the shop and enjoy. If all the shop sells from, say, Mountain Hardwear is some miniscule item, that's good enough and now you can pro-deal any item that company makes. Like their overpriced jackets or tents, etc...

chris
01-25-2005, 10:56
This isn't always the case. A friend of mine works at a place that carries some Integral Designs stuff, like tarps and bivys, but not clothing. He can pro deal me a sil-shelter, but not a new EVENT jacket.

As a third method, try getting sponsorship. I know a few distance hikers who had various degrees of corporate help, so it can happen. One got something like 500 Clif Bars for his PCT hike. All different flavors. While I like Clif Bars, it is open to debate if this was really help or torture.

hungryhowie
01-25-2005, 12:06
Or you could make your own gear.

Making simple items like stuff sacks is a good (and easy) way to save some big money in the long run. You can purchase all of the materials you need to make stuff sacks just like those made by golite (or similar) for a fraction of what you'd pay for them retail.

Other easy things to make that can save you big money include pack covers/liners, simple tarps, and fleece mittens and watch caps.

Another way to save a ton of money is to do a lot of research first, and decide what not to buy. Some things you may want to spend more money on to get "the best" like a high-quality down sleeping bag, other times, it's the less expensive and less high-tech items that are the best choice (rainwear comes to mind here: think about a 2 pound $200 goretex jacket in comparison with a $50 half-pound w/b coated jacket).

But it's often the smaller things that people load up on. Do you really need a specialized $40 1 pound firs aid kit, or can you just throw in some band-aids, neosporin, and an ace bandage? Do you really need the large tube of toothpaste, or can you get a travel-sized one? Do you really need those Teva's or Crocs, or can you bear to go with the $3 walmart flip flops weighing half as much (for that matter, do you really need the $3 flip flops?) Do you really need that $40 swiss army knife that include the kitchen sink, or will the smaller "classic" model do? Things like this can really add up in cost and weight quickly.

When I began my thruhike on Springer, I was carrying a pack weighing ~40 pounds that probably cost me ~$1500 in equipment. By the time I reached Katahdin, my pack weighed half as much and I had shed about $750 worth of accessories, high-tech tent, goretex jacket, and other misc. crap.

Half the weight, half the cost.

Not exactly the same direction as the rest of the thread, but some other things to think about.

-howie

neo
01-25-2005, 12:30
and if you cannot make your own gear there are several excellent home grown ultralite gear companys out there,antigravity gear,dancing light gear,fanatic fringe,jacksrbetter.great ultralite gear and reasonably priced.:sun neo

Footslogger
01-25-2005, 12:34
Here is the best way, short of outright stealing: Pro-deal. ===============================================
Unless things have changed a lot in the last 2 years since I worked at an outfitter, the Pro-Deal is strictly for the people employed at the store. If they catch you Pro-Dealing for your friends you lose the privelege and, in some cases, even get fired from the store.

Pro-Deals are great though, if you know what you want. I know some people who take jobs with outdoor goods stores just to get Pro-Deal access (you don't get paid enough otherwise). Now and then the various manufacturers will run a short term (3 - 4 week) deal with a limited number of items and the prices are even less than the standard Pro-Deal. One in particular that I remember was from Sierra Design. They allowed store reps to purchase up to 6 items on a selected list and one of those items was the LightYear CD tent for $49. I think retail on the tent at the time was just under $170. Needless to say I grabbed one of those babies.

'Slogger
AT 2003

hungryhowie
01-25-2005, 17:11
Now and then the various manufacturers will run a short term (3 - 4 week) deal with a limited number of items and the prices are even less than the standard Pro-Deal.

I loved those deals. I got a couple of guidelight thermarests for $10 each, a Marmot Hydrogen for $75, and I can't even remember the rest of the deals (it's been a long time). Before my hike, I pro-dealed my pack, sleeping bag and tent, all of my clothes, my stove, and all titanium cookware. I also ordered all of my food through the outfitter. All told, it saved me close to $1000. That said, I dread the day I finally wear out my last piece of Capilene...good thing I got enough to last for a few more years :D

-howie

Doctari
01-27-2005, 13:22
Much of my food, my cook pot, etc. I got at Big Lots. Usually at a considerable discount. It may take a few trips to find what you want, but well worth the effort IMHO.
BTW: the cook pot weighs 3 Oz., the food is; Lipton noodles & sauce, tuna in a packet, Zatarans, etc.

Doctari.