PDA

View Full Version : Montbell SS Down or Sierra Designs Spark

Vinya
04-26-2011, 23:55
These two bags (the Montbell Super Spiral and the Sierra Designs Spark, WOMENS) are my main choices for a good lightweight bag. I am usually a cold sleeper, but am looking at 30 degree bags for the most bang for my buck season-wise (and I'll have extra clothing to wear around a chilly campsite, anyway) and the fact that I'm a struggling college student.

I found this super spiral on backcountry
http://www.backcountry.com/montbell-super-spiral-hugger-3-down-sleeping-bag-30-degree?rr=t&cmp_id=&rrType=ClickCP&rrProd=MTB0137
but can't seem to figure out why it's cheaper (other than not being an UL, which makes no difference to me, really), unless I'm missing something obvious to my poor final exam-ridden brain.

I plan to hike the AT SOBO next year, but I also need this bag soon for a trip to Zion NP in May. I'm generally a side sleeper, hence why I want to go with something I can move in better than your standard mummy bag. I'm about 5 foot 8, and again generally a cold sleeper (so I figure a 30 would be fine for the average 45 temps of Zion at night, considering I'll be wearing layer to sleep in as I usually do). If I need to, I will compromise temp rating to a lower temp if so advised.

So, has anyone had any experience with these bags? Are these good choices? HALP! and many thanks :D

STICK
04-27-2011, 00:25
Vinya,

There are actually 3 different versions of the Montbell bag, in down. 4 if you count the synthetic version...

Back when Montbell offered the Super Stretch UL they decided to add a Spiral UL version. This is when the regular bags were good for peeps up to 5'10" and the longs were good for peeps up to 6'4". This was also the time that they had # 2's and 4's as well.

Then Montbell decided to stop making the Super Stretch and replaced them with the UL Super Spirals, while still keeping the regular UL Spiral line. So, now there is the UL Super Spirals and the UL Spirals. The Super Spirals are the newer version in which the regulars fit peeps up to 6' and the longs fit peeps up to 6'6". The older UL Spiral fits peeps up to 5'10".

There are slight differences in weights and prices on these bags:

UL Spiral # 3 Regular: 10 oz 800 df / Total weight: 1 lb 3 oz / Price: $259 (http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=795&p_id=1121797)
Super Spiral # 3 Regular: 12 oz 650 df / Total Weight: 1 lb 15 oz / Price: $199 (http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=797&p_id=2321210)
UL Super Spiral # 3 Regular: 10 oz 800 df / Total Weight: 1 lb 5 oz / Price: $284 (http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=796&p_id=2321206)

I have no experience with these bags, so no help there. It seems that a lot of people like them, but I have also read of quite a few of the # 3's in specific being underfilled in some of the baffles, so I would just be sure to inspect it real well once you get it.

Also, just my 2 cents, but I would go for the UL version. And if you are only 5'8" I would go for the older UL Spiral (not super spiral) version. It would fit you better, but be cheaper than the newer Ul Super Spiral (newer version).

Hope this helps, at least a little...

Chomp09
04-27-2011, 13:32
Easy decision, you're definitely going to get a higher quality bag with Montbell over Sierra Designs. Either way, if you end up choosing one and not being happy with it Backcountry.com has a top notch return policy!

Vinya
04-29-2011, 17:55
thanks for the replies, guys. I decided to go ahead and go with the montbell UL.

darkage
05-03-2011, 15:01
thanks for the replies, guys. I decided to go ahead and go with the montbell UL.

Good Choice, i have a montbell SS UL #4 (35deg) ... love it april thro oct ....

trailangelbronco
05-03-2011, 16:11
I own the Montbell Super Spiral #3, the new one. I freakin love it and reccomend it 110%!

Packs very very small, only weighs 1.5 pounds and the best thing is that is is so stretchy! I can strech ot in my bag, sleep on my side with my legs streched out.
My favorite bag ever!