PDA

View Full Version : Gaiter Strap and Trail Runners

Chuz
04-27-2011, 00:46
I intend to wear trail runners while thru-hiking but am concerned that the area where the strap of the gaiter is too shallow, i.e. unlike the area between the heel and ball of the sole of the hiking boot, there is little room on runners. I have duct taped my strap. Will this be a problem? Granted, this is a case-by-case situation, but most trail runners have this problem and I am asking those who wore runners with gaiters their experiences/recommendations.

singing wind
04-27-2011, 01:15
Hello Chuz,
I regularly wear short gaiters with my trail runners and use no strap under the shoe, so I'm not sure if your duct tape solution will be a problem. I have heard of some folks placing a small piece of velcro on the outside of the shoe above the heel but have yet to try it. My shoes have a pull-up strap there that keeps the gaiters from sliding up. YMMV.

peakbagger
04-27-2011, 07:55
I use short OR gaiters that use a piece of nylon cord for a strap. I just replace them when they wear out.

perrito
04-27-2011, 09:01
Check out Dirty Girl Gaiters (http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/). They're not just for girls, that's just a name.

d.o.c
04-27-2011, 09:14
whammy ^ :)

d.o.c
04-27-2011, 09:16
link seems to be broken for me, but google works...

Phreak
04-27-2011, 09:57
Use strapless gaiters. I love my Dirty Girl gaiters for dry conditions and use some REI lightweight waterproof ones for wet conditions with velcro instead of a strap.

Tagless
04-27-2011, 10:05
Yes, they will wear out. Just carry some extra elastic cord to do repairs as needed.

I have a lot of experience with the short OR gaiters that Peakbagger mentioned and really like them. They are reasonably lightweight, yet do a great job of keeping debris out of shoes as well as slowing down feet getting wet in dewey grass. The version I used on the AT doesn't seem to be available anymore and evidentially have been replaced by these (http://www.moosejaw.com/moosejaw/shop/product_Outdoor-Research-Rocky-Mountain-Low-Gaiters_10084070_10208_10000001_-1_).

peakbagger
04-27-2011, 10:10
The link Tagless sent look like the ones I have used for years during early season hikes, once it gets warm and the trails dry up I usually stop using them. The cord they come with shreds fairly quickly. Once they are adjusted to the shoe, there is no need to untie the cords until they wear out.

naturejunkie
04-27-2011, 14:15
Check out Dirty Girl Gaiters (http://www.dirtygirlgaiters.com/). They're not just for girls, that's just a name.

Ditto on the Dirty Girl Gaiters.

Penguin
04-27-2011, 14:54
Dirty girls rock! It has been scientifically proven that each mile hiked with Dirty Girl Gaitors on, increases your smile by a factor of 1.08 By the time your out of the smokies, Dirty Girl gaiters will have given you the biggest grin on the trail. Pure hiking bliss.

DripDry
04-27-2011, 14:59
I have about 1,000 miles on my Integral Design eVent Shortie gaiters (http://integraldesigns.com/product_detail.cfm?id=765) and they are still going strong (and are waterproof and actually breathe). I don't use a strap with my trailrunners and they work fine. I saw a design for using 3/4" webbing with elastic which I tried, but finally decided it was easier to leave them off all together. I have 0 problems with them staying in place.

Chuz
04-28-2011, 01:31
So, in short, bring extra shoe laces and reinforce with duct tape, then repeat, eh?

Chuz
04-28-2011, 01:38
So, with Dirty Girl gaiters, has anyone had problem with the velco placed on the heel of the shoe coming off, truthfully? esp. considering the rocky terrain in some areas of the AT?

foxtimothyj
04-28-2011, 08:41
For gaiters that have a strap (vs. those with rope) I cut a 4-5 inch piece of tubular webbing and thread that over the strap to protect it from wear.

Pedaling Fool
04-28-2011, 08:55
I intend to wear trail runners while thru-hiking but am concerned that the area where the strap of the gaiter is too shallow, i.e. unlike the area between the heel and ball of the sole of the hiking boot, there is little room on runners. I have duct taped my strap. Will this be a problem? Granted, this is a case-by-case situation, but most trail runners have this problem and I am asking those who wore runners with gaiters their experiences/recommendations.
Not sure what type of gaiters you're talking about, but I hike with a pair similar to this http://www.outdoorresearch.com/site/rocky_mountain_low_gaiters.html, except mine do not have a strap, it has a line. However, that line started breaking by the time I got to Penn. -- rocks cutting it. So after a few breaks I just stopped replacing the line and didn't really matter, they worked just fine without the line.

perrito
04-28-2011, 10:49
So, with Dirty Girl gaiters, has anyone had problem with the velco placed on the heel of the shoe coming off, truthfully? esp. considering the rocky terrain in some areas of the AT?
I've had mine for 2 years and so far, no problem. Just make sure the area is very clean and dry before applying the velcro tape.

Raul Perez
04-28-2011, 10:55
I have mountain Laurel Designs eVent Gaiters. Awesome and the shock cord strap is holding fairly strong with almost 60 miles on them so far.

steve43
04-28-2011, 11:47
For gaiters that have a strap (vs. those with rope) I cut a 4-5 inch piece of tubular webbing and thread that over the strap to protect it from wear.

+1 This has worked for me for hundreds and hundreds of miles.

fifo

sbhikes
04-28-2011, 12:14
The velcro sometimes comes off, but on many shoes it isn't even necessary to use velcro to keep them on. Superglue helps keep the velcro on longer.

By the way, you could do the velcro trick on your OR gaiters, too, and eliminate the strap. Simply apply the rough velcro patches to the sides of your shoes and sew on some patches of soft velcro on the gaiter. Again, depnds on if the sides of your shoes have a place where the velcro will adhere.

jbwood5
04-28-2011, 12:35

If you use the self sticking velcro (adhesive backing), you can count on those coming off over time. There is a special tube of glue made for the type of Velcro strips that do not have the adhesive backing. I use Joe Trailman Gators and he gives you a tube of that glue and enough Velcro for about 3 to 4 pairs of shoes.

http://www.joetrailman.com/

I also have some pairs of Dirty Girl Gators and they are practically the same. Joe actually had his Gators out way before Dirty Girl Gators came to the market. He is a small time operation and you have to call him to place the order and then send a check.

Both these types of trail shoe gators require that you put on the gator (over your ankle) before you put your shoe on. Trying to pull them over the shoe will just stretch or tear the gator.