PDA

View Full Version : I went nuutttttttss!!!!

88BlueGT
04-27-2011, 10:01
....over the last few weeks with my gear purchases :banana Emotionally, I love it, I've been having packages arrive constantly at my door, work is more enjoyable, I've been in a better mood, I'm smiling and walking with spunk! Can't wait to get out this season w/ my new stuff!

I love it the way I treat myself but my pockets hate me as I slowly drain my accounts... but hey, its only money right?

So anyway, I know its almost May already but who's excited for the season? Anyone have any new additions to their gear lists? lets here em! :sun

sixhusbands
04-27-2011, 10:10
Hey , some new gear always brightens your day. I just returned from a hiking trip across the jungles of Honduras and the outfitter used a Steripen to purify all of our water. It worked so well that I went right out and got one. they are a bit pricey but they are very light and really do the job. can't wait to use this summer in the White's.

jeffmeh
04-27-2011, 10:13
I know the feeling, and I am only coordinating purchases for my son, while he is in Germany, who plans a Feb 2012 NOBO start. He doesn't return until June, so I may just have to take out some of the gear and make sure it works, lol.

10-K
04-27-2011, 10:16
I've just finished doing the exact same thing.

At this point if someone gave me a $1000 gift certificate to REI I'd just walk around the store bored... :)

88BlueGT
04-27-2011, 10:26
I know the feeling, and I am only coordinating purchases for my son, while he is in Germany, who plans a Feb 2012 NOBO start. He doesn't return until June, so I may just have to take out some of the gear and make sure it works, lol.

Yes, you absolutely need to take it out, that would be the 'good-father' in you! LOL reminds me of when I was a kid, my dad used to take me to eat and he would always take the first bite of whatever it was and say... "just needed to make sure it was safe" haha ohhhh great times, great times.

88BlueGT
04-27-2011, 10:28
Hey , some new gear always brightens your day. I just returned from a hiking trip across the jungles of Honduras and the outfitter used a Steripen to purify all of our water. It worked so well that I went right out and got one. they are a bit pricey but they are very light and really do the job. can't wait to use this summer in the White's.

Sounds like an awesome trip! If you have some pictures you should post them, I'd love to see.

Also, good pick-up on the steripen, I have used one a few times and its definitely pretty awesome There are a few precautions with them that I have read though (like drying it off before storing, etc.), maybe want to look into that just to be on the safe side. Good luck w/ your new purchase!

88BlueGT
04-27-2011, 10:29
same here 10-k, unless I drop a boatload on clothes, because thats about the only department I'm 'lacking' in lol

Graywolf
04-27-2011, 10:39
Who did you use? I was thinking of doing something like this myself...

New gear? When my new tent came in I have been on cloud nine and visioning looking at mountains out the screen door......Gotta lov what we do..

Buffalo Skipper
04-27-2011, 10:41
I am almost where I want to be on equipment, and am slowing down. I do want to replace my hammock, and I would like new summer and winter top quilts, but that is just about it, aside from some of the small stuff.

On the same lines, I now have well over $500 (purchase price) in gear I no longer use: an extra backpack (which I will keep as a loaner), a 2-man Mountain Hardware tent (which my son uses), a bulletproof tarp, and more.

But I really want to get that new hammock and top quilts!!! :sun

88BlueGT
04-27-2011, 10:52
Sounds like a good investment. I just picked myself up a top quilt last night (HG Summer Burrow, 14.5oz, 900+ down http://www.hammockgear.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_8&products_id=1) Did some research and it gets GREAT reviews, plus, seems to be one of the best bang for your buck quilts out there.

I'm also in the same boat with all the extra equipment, I hold onto it though since I like to be the guy to 'convince' people to go hiking, so than naturally, I provide the equipment lol

Stray dog
04-27-2011, 11:32
I received a Tarptent Moment two weeks ago. It was second only to an admission letter from a French university (2007) in terms of excitement. Also bought a stove and titanium pots. I mostly need appropriate clothing for a mid-March start, but nothing that exciting about base layers and socks.

sbhikes
04-27-2011, 11:38
I made a new pot cozy, wind screen and lid. Doesn't quite fill me with the excitement you describe. Ordered some new shoemaking patterns and somebody gave me a box full of leather pieces. That's kind of exciting. I want to make some more hiking shoes. I've got some that are pretty good but I want to make even better ones. I guess I'm more of a do-it-yourselfer than a shopper.

jeffmeh
04-27-2011, 13:51
Yes, you absolutely need to take it out, that would be the 'good-father' in you! LOL reminds me of when I was a kid, my dad used to take me to eat and he would always take the first bite of whatever it was and say... "just needed to make sure it was safe" haha ohhhh great times, great times.

Well, I won't take any of the clothing, not because I am a nice guy but because he is a L and I am an XL. I did get a good deal on Ibex Woolies and ended getting myself a top. I have had some sensitivity to Wool in the past, but I am giving the Merino a shot and wearing it around the house to see how it goes.

I figure that if I do the seam-sealing on the Tarptent Rainbow, then it is only fair that I take it, an Exped Synmat UL7, and a Warbonnet Mamba 3-seaon L/W top quilt out for a test run in the Whites. And I guess balaclava, hat, and gloves will fit, and the alky stove and grease pot would work....

Chubbs4U
04-27-2011, 14:31
Waay to much stuff myself. I dont even want to add it up. Now if only my tent would arrive soon.

LDog
04-27-2011, 15:01
I was gonna saw tweaking my gear, but that might be an understatement. Just checked the door to see if my new ULA Circuit was there. It wasn't. Pulled the trigger on a pair of Gossamer Gear 1/8" thinlight pads. Last week, I got a replacement section for my hiking poles that was just the thing I needed to connect the two poles together to hold up our Shangri-La 3 ...

I keep looking at those Six Moon Designs Skyscape Trekkers ...

LDog
04-27-2011, 15:04
I made a new pot cozy

That's been on my short list. I have some fabric left over from making my big bandanas, but I need to find some insulation :-? What did you use?

Buffalo Skipper
04-27-2011, 15:05
...Just checked the door to see if my new ULA Circuit was there....

I too am expecting a ULA Circuit to be delivered today. :banana
But I am stuck at work for another hour and a half before I head home. I keep checking the tracking page, but it just shows "Out for Delivery."

Can't wait....

sbhikes
04-27-2011, 15:36
That's been on my short list. I have some fabric left over from making my big bandanas, but I need to find some insulation :-? What did you use?
I used reflectix from the hardware store. It's like silver coated bubble-wrap. I used silver foil tape to put it together. Works great.

Buffalo Skipper
04-27-2011, 16:05
I used reflectix from the hardware store. It's like silver coated bubble-wrap. I used silver foil tape to put it together. Works great.

Just be sure you use tape which can take high temperatures. I generally look for one able to take temps in excess of 190°. That way it won't delaminate when the glue melts. Gorilla tape (looks like black duct tape but is rated to 200°) works well. Regular duct tape is only rated to 125° or so. I found a silver tape used for metal flues rated well over 200°, but it is almost $30/roll.

88BlueGT
04-27-2011, 17:16
I remember when I opened the box to my first Circuit, it was am amazing experience! I remember opening the box taking like 15 minutes to do so, so fragile! LOL It'll be worth the wait, trust me. Oh yea, I forgot to list what I purchased! haha

-MSR Hyperflow (replaced Katadyn Pro) - I'm testing it, seems to work fine, lots of bad reviews but I have not had any problems yet.

-Salomon XA PRO 3D Ultra 2 trail runners (replacing my beat up NF boots) - testing these as well - wearing them around the house for now to get a feel, may hit the trail this weekend is possible to see if I like them.

-TT Rainbow (replacing TT Squall 2) - CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS! Ordered 2 days ago, should see it in about 2 weeks.

-HammockGear.com Summer Burrow 40* Quilt - CANNOT wait for this either! Should see it in a week or two :(

Man I hate waiting for gear, its always nice when you pull up to your house and see the boxes sitting on the front porch though! Stoked, this new gear brought my 'BIG 4' into the 5lb range!! NIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE! Should have a base-weight of around 15lbs this season!

skinewmexico
04-27-2011, 17:21
I've just finished doing the exact same thing.

At this point if someone gave me a $1000 gift certificate to REI I'd just walk around the store bored... :)

+1. But only because (unlike some on here who will remain nameless) I've resisted the move to cuben. I'd be safe in REI though, cuben won't hit there for 10 more years.

TallShark
04-27-2011, 17:39
^ oh it will be adopted sooner than that, more like the next few years i project. Could be wishfull thinking, cause if it goes mainstream it will be cheaper.

hikerboy57
04-27-2011, 17:43
Im laughing, because Im hopelessly addicted to gear shopping, even though I have everything I need.I just cant help myself. EMS has had a monopoly on hiking and backpacking gear here on Long island. as I made my last trip there last week to fill in on things I have no use for, I saw a new REI being built across the street, and found myself excited that a new source of additional gearr will be available to me!! I bought a Big Agnes 15'lost ranger. wshat I love about the bag is the sleeve you can slide the insulated core inflatable pad into, as I move around during my sleep, and sometimes slide right off my pad, so now Im thinki9ng of replacing my Marmot 40' summer bagfor one with a sleeve. Or maybe I'll just get a closed cell pad for summer instead.And I think I might have to replace my old compass.and I need socks.and maybe a pair of Lekis.and a new hat.i think my 25' of para cord might be getting old too.and maybe a new spork.

LDog
04-27-2011, 18:09
...And I think I might have to replace my old compass...

oh yeah, my new Suunto M-2D came today. Shaved a half ounce off may pack weight and upgraded to a liquid-filled housing :rolleyes:

fredmugs
04-27-2011, 22:44
I upgraded everything except my pack to real hiker gear this year also. New tent, sleeping bag with integrated mattress, down parka, jetboil, GPS (don't hate), poles, pack liner, gaitors, and other trinkets.

The new tent was huge withstanding the 50+ MPH winds on the PCT earlier this month.

88BlueGT
04-28-2011, 16:42
Sweet, and don't worry fredmugs I won't be one of them douchers to hate on your GPS :rolleyes: haha JK!

I would actually love to get a GPS, something small, just so I can track hot-spots and do other simple things. They make a few that are only a few oz's.

LDog
04-28-2011, 17:55
I have the Garmin Foretrex 301. It weighs 2.6 ozs, does not do maps, but it will tell you precisely where you are, you can load 500 waypoints into it, it has a high sensitivity receiver - so it works better 'n some in the forest, and it runs on 2 AAAs - same as my headlight. It's $149 at REI, but you can generally get it for less elsewhere. If you spring a few more bucks for the 401, you get an electronic compass and barometric altimeter.