PDA

View Full Version : LightHeart: to Wedge or not to Wedge?

StealthHikerBoy
04-27-2011, 11:43
After plenty of research, I am about ready to pull the trigger on a LightHeart Solo tent. I am indecisive on whether to get the wedge (http://lightheartgear.com/LightHeart_Gear/Wedge.html)feature or not so that I can set it up awning style.

Is this a feature that people would see as a “no brainer” to get, or one that doesn’t really matter much? Is having the ability to set it up awning style something that is so cool that I’d be nuts not to get it? Worth the slight added weight of the pole and wedge?

I don't really have enough experience with tents to know if the wedge is a really cool feature or not, so any comments are appreciated!

Creek Dancer
04-27-2011, 11:59
I have the Lightheart Solo without the wedge. Honestly, I don't see how the wedge would improve the tent for me. Yes, you would be able to have a better view from your tent, but I just roll up the sides if I want to see out. And if I really want a good view, I am generally not in my tent anyway. Having the wedge to form an awning would allow more room to get in and out of the tent, but I really don't think the current form is a problem. Just my two cents...

Creek Dancer
04-27-2011, 12:21
Have you considered the SoLong 6? This tent is designed for tall/big people, weighs less than the Solo, more room inside and a larger vestibule (I think) than the Solo. The price is the same as the Solo Wedge. If I were in the market, I would go with the SoLong 6 over the Solo Wedge, even though I do not need the extra length. I don't think Judy is taking orders right now. My boyfriend has one of these tents and it is truly awesome.

HeartFire
04-27-2011, 14:26
Call the outfitter in Franklin. Outdoor 76 and ask their opinion on the wedge. They use and sell both tents. The wedge does offer the option to CAREFULLY cook under it in the rain.
Judy - LightHeart Gear

10-K
04-27-2011, 16:37
Call the outfitter in Franklin. Outdoor 76 and ask their opinion on the wedge. They use and sell both tents. The wedge does offer the option to CAREFULLY cook under it in the rain.
Judy - LightHeart Gear

The regular Solo provides the option to VERY CAREFULLY cook under it in the rain. :)

Grinder
04-27-2011, 16:38
the way I understand it, the wedge was developed to improve ventilation after an early tester complained about excessive condensation.

The increased view was a welcome side effect.

Creek Dancer
04-27-2011, 16:56
hmmm...I've never had condensation problems with this tent, but I do a good job of guying out the fly to prevent this from happening.

HeartFire
04-27-2011, 17:02
the way I understand it, the wedge was developed to improve ventilation after an early tester complained about excessive condensation.

The increased view was a welcome side effect.

Well that's not exactly true. The wedge goes in the manufactured tents and was my 'after market' fix to make it compareable to my awning tents. People had been asking me for an awning, this was the only way I could manage it. So far, it's been selling like crazy. Outdoor 76 sells out as fast as i get them to the store.

Judy - LightHeart Gear

Hoop
04-27-2011, 22:36
I got "the fix" on my Solo so it now has the wedge - I like it fine. Adds an option.