PDA

View Full Version : Smokemont to Davenport starting 4/29 ...

ChrisEdgington
04-27-2011, 15:20
We're hiking from Smokemont to Davenport Gap starting this Friday. I've got just a few questions:

1. Anyone have any recent experience to confirm if there are working bear cables at campsite 47 and Laurel gap?

2. Are there water sources at campsite 47 and laurel gap, or should we be looking at sources along the way?

3. I've hiked the AT in the smokies, but not the BMT ... it is well marked?

Thanks,
-Chris

jbwood5
04-27-2011, 15:34
I'll be a couple of days behind you, starting at Twenty Mile late Friday. My understanding is that all backcountry sites have the bear hoist cable system, but it would be a good idea to carry a line, just in case the pullies are damaged or rusted. I would guess that water would not generally be a problem in the Smokies this time of the year. Get one of the dollar hiking trail maps which should be available at visitor center and probably Smokemont. As I recall, all the trail junctions are well marked and that map will show you the names of all the trails. The BMT just uses the original series of hiking trails that were cut years ago in the Park. That map shows the BMT layed out on the old trails.

royalusa
04-27-2011, 15:54
Agree with jbwood5's viewpoint on just using the $1 GSMNP hiking map. That will be more than sufficient.

For site #47 - no problem on the water source. See http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=317411 for a picture of it. Your water source is Enloe Creek. There is a big steel bridge there for crossing the creek. Sorry, do not have any current info on bear cables, but I can tell you last year there were 2 cables attached to the steel bridge framework.

You might want to make sure you check out 10-K's recent journal and WB thread for some recent info on the BMT including info on GSMNP unbridged creek crossings:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72063

http://postholer.com/journal/viewJournal.php?entry_id=21230

10-K will probably chime in here shortly and provide a lot more info, as he just finished his BMT hike a few days ago.

Buffalo Skipper
04-27-2011, 16:25
2) Campsite 47 is right by Raven Fork and Enloe Creeks, so water should be plentiful. Can't speak for Laurel Gap Shelter.

Check out this map. It may or may not help you.

10-K
04-27-2011, 16:49
#47 doesn't have the way-up-high bear cables like most campsites do. It has a contraption that looks more like a hat rack 8' or so off the ground. Slo'goen from here at WB was camped there when I hiked by and I noted how close his food was hanging to the ground.

Laurel Gap has the regular bear cables and the shelter itself is enclosed with chain link fence. As far as water goes, I didn't look around the shelter but on the way up there are numerous creek crossings so water will not be an issue.

Most of the BMT sections are marked - there were a few that weren't as I recall. The $1 map is all you need - put it in a ziplock though because it's paper and if it gets wet you're mapless.

The biggest concern I would have is crossing the creek 2 miles south of #47 - the bridge is out and while I didn't almost get swept away it wasn't to be taken lightly - but it did rain the night before I crossed it.

I liked hiking the BMT in the park better than the AT. There isn't as much high-elevation ridge walking but it's not a hard hike and not being the AT it has a much more "off the beaten path" vibe to it.

FWIW, I opted to stay at #44 two or so miles north of #47 because going north as soon as you leave #47 there is a steep climb and I don't like to wake up to a climb if I can help it. :) Leaving #44 going north is a 3+ mile downhill before you start the ascent towards Mt. Sterling.

#44 is somewhat creepy though - it sits down in a bowl shape depression at the end of the Hyatt Ridge Trail - it's like on a cul-de-sac of sorts.

Ox97GaMe
04-27-2011, 18:24
The park is getting DRENCHED this week. They are calling for another 4 inches by end of the week. Water will not be an issue. Definitely be careful of the river crossing that 10-K mentioned. Even in summer weather, it can be tricky for someone who is not familiar with stream crossing techniques. This is seldom a rock hop type of crossing, hence the reason for the original bridge. The bridge got washed away a couple of years ago, so that will give you some indication of just how much water COULD come down that valley in heavy rains (like today).

Marta
04-27-2011, 19:46
We're hiking from Smokemont to Davenport Gap starting this Friday.

I hiked that section weekend before last. The wildflowers were spectacular.

I've got just a few questions:

1. Anyone have any recent experience to confirm if there are working bear cables at campsite 47 and Laurel gap?

Yes. A ranger was tuning up the cables at #47 as I was passing through.

Have you lined up your reservations for both places? Laurel Gap Shelter is pretty much a pit. It's scheduled for rennovation this summer.

2. Are there water sources at campsite 47 and laurel gap, or should we be looking at sources along the way?

Yes, there are water sources in both places, and many more along the way.

3. I've hiked the AT in the smokies, but not the BMT ... it is well marked?

It's pretty well marked, but as always, a map can be useful.

One further comment, the log bridge across Enloe Creek was out and the ford was quite exciting weekend before last. There had been more than an inch of rain the night before. You might want to make sure you have wading shoes and poles or sticks with you.

Thanks,
-Chris

Marta
04-27-2011, 19:53
I guess I should have read a little further down the thread before posting. But now you've heard the same thing from more than just me.

I stayed in campsite #44 as well. It was cold the night we were passing through. Next to all that rushing water #47 would have been extremely chilly. As the weather warms, though, that could become appealing.

ChrisEdgington
04-27-2011, 20:41
Have you lined up your reservations for both places? Laurel Gap Shelter is pretty much a pit. It's scheduled for rennovation this summer.

I have reservations at both spots for 6 people. But - one of the guys asked if his son home from college could go ... so now I'm thinking we'll have to hike on through to #44. I called today and Laurel had plenty of open space - but there were no "slots" open for #47. Since that is a tent site - I wonder how they manage "slots" - we'll only have two tents ...

One further comment, the log bridge across Enloe Creek was out and the ford was quite exciting weekend before last. There had been more than an inch of rain the night before. You might want to make sure you have wading shoes and poles or sticks with you.

Sounds exciting! Just started hiking 2 yrs ago ... gone over 200 miles now but never anywhere with a significant stream crossing. Any specific pointers on technique?

I've already got the laminated Trails Illustrated map ... but we'll definitely pickup a few of the $1 maps.

One more question ... someone stirred by 10-K's posting about his trip experience. I've never hiked to Davenport Gap - so I'm not familiar with that area. Our vehicle will be parked at Big Creek Ranger Station. Once we get to Big Creek (looks like the "end" of BMT on the map) - is it obvious how to get to the ranger station?

Thanks for the responses - I'll post pictures when we're back!

-Chris

Marta
04-27-2011, 21:32
#47 is very small. They probably limit it to 6 people. That said, it's not very far from there to #44, which is much more spacious.

Fording...

First, unbuckle the waist belt and chest strap on your pack. If you do fall, you don't want to be held under the water.

It helps to have two sticks and to be wearing shoes. (Bare feet are quite slippery and prone to getting cut or bruised, unless you got barefoot a lot.) If the water is really rushing, maintain three points of contact at all times. Lift one foot, then plant it firmly. When you're sure it's not going to slip, lift one pole, then plant it firmly. Move the other foot. Don't get in a hurry. If the rushing water starts to make you feel dizzy, look up at the ground on the opposite bank. Fording is really fun, once you know how to do it.

There are two parking lots at Big Creek. On your way in, you'll come to the Ranger Station first. You can park there, and fill out your backcountry permit there. Further down the gravel road is the picnic area. There's more parking there, plus a bathroom with running water. You can get on the BMT by going on the big footbridge.

Do you have Sgt. Rock's BMT guidebook? It's pretty handy.

ChrisEdgington
04-27-2011, 21:38
> Do you have Sgt. Rock's BMT guidebook? It's pretty handy.

Nope - I ordered a book from Amazon - turns out it didn't have this last section in it :( Once I got that - it was too late to order something else. Can that be purchased anywhere locally in Gatlinburg, ...?

Thanks,
-Chris

10-K
04-27-2011, 21:39
One more question ... someone stirred by 10-K's posting about his trip experience. I've never hiked to Davenport Gap - so I'm not familiar with that area. Our vehicle will be parked at Big Creek Ranger Station. Once we get to Big Creek (looks like the "end" of BMT on the map) - is it obvious how to get to the ranger station

-Chris

Unless you're thru hiking the BMT and are a purist just forget about Davenport Gap and call it a wrap when you walk into Big Creek. Getting to Davenport Gap involves walking out of Big Creek and then 1.4 miles up a dirt road - it really serves no purpose at all.

There's only one way in and out of Big Creek and you walk right by the ranger station - you can't avoid it.

SGT Rock
04-28-2011, 20:03
> Do you have Sgt. Rock's BMT guidebook? It's pretty handy.

Nope - I ordered a book from Amazon - turns out it didn't have this last section in it :( Once I got that - it was too late to order something else. Can that be purchased anywhere locally in Gatlinburg, ...?

Thanks,
-Chris

Little River Trading Company in Maryville is the only local place. The water source at the Shelter is out the front gate and to the right out in the woods. Be advised that when I was there, there was human feces all over the place in the vicinity of the shelter and the water.

I'm starting at Big Creek tomorrow and hiking the other way. We should meet somewhere on the trail. We are staying at Mt Sterling on the 29th and at Enloe Creek on the 30th.

If you want, I could bring a guide with me and get it to you out there somewhere when we cross paths.

Marta
04-28-2011, 21:26
Some friends and I will be hiking the section from Smokemont to Road to Nowhere this weekend. I think we'll miss you by about a day.

SGT Rock
04-28-2011, 21:30
Dang. Would have been nice to run into you. We will be spending Sunday up on Newton Bald.

Marta
04-29-2011, 05:52
Dang. Would have been nice to run into you. We will be spending Sunday up on Newton Bald.

I'll see what I can do. In any case, the weather forecast is promising. Hope you have a great hike!

SGT Rock
04-29-2011, 07:22
Don't go messing up your plans for me.

Marta
05-02-2011, 06:25
I realize this is a bit late for the OP, but....

There are several intersections where the BMT is not marked. You will need a map correlating the shorter trail names with the BMT.

There are several other fords besides the ford at Enloe Creek. The biggie that we were expecting on the Pole Road Creek Trail turned out to have a lovely new log bridge on it.

As always it's a great hike!

Marta
05-02-2011, 06:32
And we did end up being a day ahead of you, Sgt. Rock.

We saw a few hikers, but we had campsite #56 to ourselves Saturday night. As we came to campsite #61, no one was there, but the recent occupants had left an active campfire, with logs flaming a foot high. Nice. We spent some time getting water from the creek and putting the fire out.

Saw a huge rattlesnake on a rock in Noland Creek. He had nine rattles. Probably wouldn't have noticed him but there was a horse crossing while I was on the log bridge. The horse heard the rattlesnake and shied. That caught the attention of us humans.

A couple of horsepackers were clearing blowdowns just ahead of us. There were some places that would have been very interesting to negotiate is they hadn't been there first.

SGT Rock
05-05-2011, 18:45
Just got in. Pole Road Creek Trail is in bad need of some trail work.

jbwood5
05-12-2011, 09:13
I realize this is a bit late for the OP, but....

There are several intersections where the BMT is not marked. You will need a map correlating the shorter trail names with the BMT.

There are several other fords besides the ford at Enloe Creek. The biggie that we were expecting on the Pole Road Creek Trail turned out to have a lovely new log bridge on it.

As always it's a great hike!

So they put a new bridge across Deep Creek (at the end of Pole Creek Rd)? That is the one little section I didn't do last week. I would have liked to have seen it. That was a long tough crossing last year.
Thanks for the info. I want to go back now. :)