PDA

View Full Version : Is there any advantage beyond a good night's sleep?

dla
04-27-2011, 17:59
As a ground dweller, (the name hammock users give me), I have a pretty lightweight setup: 24oz shelter, 20oz pad and ground cloth, 24oz quilt. (24+20+24)/16 = 4.25lbs.

It is hard for me to know if this is all correct, but it looks like I would have the following for a hammock setup: WBBB D1.7 = 40oz, 3-season Yeti UQ = 12.5oz, small pad = 10oz, 3-season TQ = 24oz, Tarp = 13.5oz. (40+12.5+10+24+13.5)/16 = 6.25lbs

I would carry 2 extra lbs - not a big deal, and shell out a minor mountain of money.

What do I really get by going to a hammock?

Rocketman
04-27-2011, 18:11
As a ground dweller, (the name hammock users give me), I have a pretty lightweight setup: 24oz shelter, 20oz pad and ground cloth, 24oz quilt. (24+20+24)/16 = 4.25lbs.

It is hard for me to know if this is all correct, but it looks like I would have the following for a hammock setup: WBBB D1.7 = 40oz, 3-season Yeti UQ = 12.5oz, small pad = 10oz, 3-season TQ = 24oz, Tarp = 13.5oz. (40+12.5+10+24+13.5)/16 = 6.25lbs

I would carry 2 extra lbs - not a big deal, and shell out a minor mountain of money.

I thin k you get to call the rest of us "ground dwellers".

And, you can constantly try to convert anyone who isn't a "Hanger", to the "Right True Way" by interjecting the hammock into any discussion of tents as an alternative that the "ground dweller" should consider.

I believe you get a small plastic card which guarantees you this right.

Hang in there, friend.

kayak karl
04-27-2011, 18:27
personally i couldn't care which way you go, but your hammock gear is off. 40 oz hammock ?, mine for 3 season is 16 oz. small pad, mine is 3 oz.
just saying!

dla
04-27-2011, 19:01
personally i couldn't care which way you go, but your hammock gear is off. 40 oz hammock ?, mine for 3 season is 16 oz. small pad, mine is 3 oz.
just saying!

OK, but you could probably fix in my pocket. :) I chose a tarp that others suggested was quite good for a side-sleeper bigger than a mouse. And, I didn't ask whether or not you cared, (I'm not looking for a hug), I'm looking for advantages/disadvantages.

rusty075
04-27-2011, 19:09
The expansion in campsite options is the most obvious advantage over your current setup. (besides the sleep quality). No more hunting for that perfect flat spot.

risingsun
04-27-2011, 19:25
Try finding 2 trees close enough in the arid southwest that will support a hammock. Tent has way, way more campsite options here.

rusty075
04-27-2011, 19:27
Hey we're practically neighbors! And you can totally tie to a saguaro. Untying is the tricky part.

gunner76
04-27-2011, 19:31
To each his own but I get a much better nights sleep in my hammock than I do sleeping on the ground so any weight trade off is worth it to me.

I still use the same sleeping bags (one down bag for winter and a synthetic for warmer temps) but as top quilts and a thin blue pad for bottom insulation. I have been using the down bag since the early 70's and while I can not use it as a mummy bag anymore (either is has shrunk over the years or I have gotten bigger) it works fine as a top quilt.

My hammock and tarp weigh in about 3 lbs.

One thing I learned after 20 years in the Marines is that with a good nights sleep, you can put up with anything.

STICK
04-27-2011, 19:42
I thin k you get to call the rest of us "ground dwellers".

And, you can constantly try to convert anyone who isn't a "Hanger", to the "Right True Way" by interjecting the hammock into any discussion of tents as an alternative that the "ground dweller" should consider.

I believe you get a small plastic card which guarantees you this right.

Hang in there, friend.

Haha...funny... :)

Wise Old Owl
04-27-2011, 19:50
This is starting to read like a dos exxis commercial....

The interesting part is there are advantages to both setups....

http://www.zootpatrol.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/dosx5.jpg

OH and DLA the poster above has nothing to do with you... I found it by accident.

I just can't figure out that if one has both setups - you would be geared for several different types
of terrain.

Red Hat
04-27-2011, 19:56
Like Kayak said, your hammock weight estimates are way off. You don't need a double 1.7 unless you are near 200 lbs (I have a double 1.1 and could use a single), a 3/4 yeti is plenty, no pad necessary, and my tarp is closer to 7 oz... so our weights are comparable. I can sleep anywhere with trees. that is most of the AT, and there were plenty of places I had trouble finding a spot when I carried a tent. That said, I will use a tent when I do the John Muir. So it comes down to having the right equipment for the area. Other advantages: more breathability, and less condensation than my tent, more ways to pitch my tarp to vary with weather, but mostly its all about the sleep.

Raul Perez
04-27-2011, 20:13
WBBB 1.7 DL... I'm assuming you're a large individual? That hammock can hold a lot of weight. Could you go with a lighter hammock like a 1.7 SL? You could shave off almost a pound that way.

Your pad should be cut down to just your legs. Gossamer Gear Thinlight pad cut down is like 2.5oz.

As far as the price factor. I did a write up on this a while ago and now I cant find it anywhere.

Hammocks when you try to get down to light weight or UL status will cost you probably in the $100-150 more than a tent and more if comparing to a tarp. What costs more is the down underquilts if you want packability and weight savings. Although the Gossamer Gear Thinlight Pad is great for 3 season so that cuts out the pocket book pain and the weight isn't much different but packability blows.

Advantages... in regions with an abundant amount of trees (unlike AZ):

Almost unlimited campsite selection and much easier

Comfort... for many this is the primary reason to convert. BUT I've seen some convert didn't like it and go back to ground. To each his own.

Inclement weather... much easier to set up IMHO as you can put up the tarp first and then be well covered as you set up your hammock. I know setting up a tent in the rain is a PITA from experience. My experience with a hammock has been much nicer.

floating lounge chair... yeah one of my favorite aspects. I can hang and eat in complete comfort.

Drying clothes... on nice days you can hang your wet sweaty clothes on the hammock suspension or tarp suspension and dry out your clothes as you lounge or overnight as you sleep.

LNT - has little impact on the surrounding area and easier to stealth if that's what you're into.

But again that's my opinion from my experiences the past few years. Tent or hammock it really doesn't matter to me what you do just so you dont take that I'm preaching that hammocks are the best thing ever. It works for me so I do it.

pcasebere
04-27-2011, 21:08
I too have thought of this, and granted most like hammocks for their comfort facto, I simply cannot understand.. especially after a week or so. They hurt my back, and I always feel awkward in them. On another note, I favor tents since one shelter is good for two.. But yeah, as has mentioned before tents can sometimes be difficult to put up in the mounthains.. but hey, there's if this is what you've got, I'm sure you will find that flat spot with a little bit of effort. Weight wise.. maybe the estimates were off, but the nitty gritty is the same.. two people and one tent.. or, will it be two people and two hammock setups? It really doesn't matter. Have fun, and care about what you do.. not what others do.. or think. (bit of a rant, my bad)

Chop
04-27-2011, 22:05
My wife and I have just switched to hammocks and we actually have cumulative weight savings by a very slight bit. We were using a SMD Lunar Duo and NeoAir pads in the tent scenario.

I'll echo the reasons that Raul gave above.

I find significantly more comfortable than the ground. On a weekend, if I know that I am going to have a couple long calls to friends, I will set up the hammock outside and lay there while I talk..Its that comfy.

But, that is my back. It just gets really stiff sleeping on the ground...hence the NeoAir....and even a bit with the NeoAir.

TallShark
04-27-2011, 22:12
you can't have sex in a hammock... and now I bow out gracefully.

Kaptain Kangaroo
04-27-2011, 22:31
The comfort factor seems to be one of the most commonly cited reason for switching to a hammock (weight & campsite options can go either way depending on the gear you choose & the area you hike).

However, even comfort is a personal thing. I switched to a hammock (Hennesy) but found that it did not suit me. I am a very restless side sleeper & spend much of the night moving around. In the hammock I was constanly waking up as i felt like I was 'fighting' the hammock all the time. Had many terrible nights of sleep before I finally gave it up & went back to my tent & now sleep wonderfully again :-)
Gave the hammock to a friend & he loves it...............

Myabe try to borrow a hammock & spend a few nights in it to see if it suits you.

mweinstone
04-27-2011, 22:33
tents suck. fly..................hammoks? dont get that whole cacoon thing.i wanna stay born. fly folks are mattys kinda folks. wait thats wrong, i like fly folks and baconfolk.

Two Tents
04-27-2011, 22:33
Tent on ground, bugs on ground. Tent on ground, rain, rain gets on ground. My body doesn't much care for crawling around on the ground. With a hammock set up I can sit comfy, walk around under the tarp, have guests over and not worry about bugs or snakes getting into where I'm going to sleep. A lot more site choices for hanging than tenting. I don't care if it's more money or even more weight. For me the good rest I get plus all the other pluses I mentioned means my tents don't see much action. I'm glad everybody doesn't care to hang, the waiting list for hammock gear is long enough.

stars in her eyes
04-27-2011, 22:56

Oh, yes you can. :banana

*can't believe this is actually her first post*

dla
04-27-2011, 23:31
WBBB 1.7 DL... I'm assuming you're a large individual? That hammock can hold a lot of weight. Could you go with a lighter hammock like a 1.7 SL? You could shave off almost a pound that way.......

.......dont take that I'm preaching that hammocks are the best thing ever. It works for me so I do it.

I'm 3' 37" and weigh about 18 stones and folks of like size at hammock forums recommended the 1.7 DL as being the most comfortable for a side sleeper. As I said in the OP, the weight difference isn't a big deal.

I really do appreciate you "hangers" extolling the virtues of your solution, so don't hold back. :)

jesse
04-28-2011, 01:23

Nominated for best post of 2011.

jhunt87
04-28-2011, 07:41
Nominated for best post of 2011.

+1 Agreed.

Tinker
04-28-2011, 08:31
Advantages besides sleep:
1) No crawling on ground trying to avoid condensation on vestibule ceiling.
2) No mud on knees from crawling on ground " ".
3) No mud on tent floor (no tent, no floor :)). No need to rinse off (or dry and try to brush mud off).

The only things that get muddy and dirty on a regular basis with a hammock setup are the stakes and a few inches of the tarp guy lines.
The downsides are that you need to put your boots in a plastic bag to keep the rain from hitting them, and there's really no way to move around much like you can in a tent if you're stuck inside on a rainy day.

lustreking
04-28-2011, 08:34
I haven't slept in my hammock yet, as I'm still putting it together. I originally thought that hammocks were both heavy and expensive, but if you're into making stuff yourself, the hammock can be very inexpensive, and still lightweight.

I haven't made my underquilt yet, but the materials should hopefully arrive tonight, so I'm estimating the weight of the uq, but my hammock, suspension, bug net, tarp, "Bishop" stuff sack, ridgeline organizer, and uq should weigh about 40 oz, and cost me less than $120. If I spent a little more on the tarp, I could easily drop a couple more ounces off of that. However, I was trying to do this as inexpensively as possible, so I made a 10x7 poly coated nylon tarp instead of silnylon, but it only cost around $20, and took 20 minutes to make. The tarp, in snake skins, with a continuous ridge line and guylines, at 17.5 oz, is the heaviest single item. Knowing I made all this stuff myself takes off a mental 6 oz or so.

For now, I'm just going to use my current sleeping bag as a top quilt, but I do have a bunch of down, nylon, and noseeum, so I'll eventually make my own top quilt.

JaxHiker
04-28-2011, 09:37
Comfort is certainly a big thing for me. I rarely get a good nights' rest in a tent but sleep like a baby in my hammock. The flexibility of being able to stop anywhere is huge. Last year I hiked for hours in the rain and got sick of it. I decided I didn't want to keep hiking to the shelter so I just stopped, threw the tarp/hammock up, and chilled out. If you have a top-entry hammock you can use it as a chair. This is nice when fixing meals or just relaxing. Feel like taking a nap along the way? It takes me 5 min or less to put my hammock up. So there's another reason...speed. I find it's much quicker to put a hammock up.

If it starts raining and you have a tent you have to put the tent up before you put the fly up so you're getting wet the whole time. I can quickly put my tarp up and then put the hammock up under its protection. With some tents having so much mesh I can see the inside getting soaked while you're trying to put it up.

Sure you have to take insulation into consideration but it's not that much different than what you'd use for a tent.

On my last AT hike there were about a dozen of us at one shelter. Many were in hammocks. The next morning all of the tent guys, er, ground dwellers, were complaining about how crappy they slept and all the hangers were saying how well.

Deadeye
04-28-2011, 12:19
+1 on the thought that you can make a lighter hammock setup. My own simply replaces my 2 pound tent with a 3 pound hammock/tarp (I still use a pad, not an underquilt, and any unzipped sleeping bag is a fine quilt), but I digress:

a wonderful thing about a hammock/tarp setup is that you can stand up! Stand up to change, pee, talk, watch the rain, whatever. No floor to worry about, don't have to take off your shoes while contorting. Sit on a rock or a bear canister, under a 10x10 tarp, and it's the size of my bedroom!

TheYoungOne
04-28-2011, 12:51
+1 on the thought that you can make a lighter hammock setup. My own simply replaces my 2 pound tent with a 3 pound hammock/tarp (I still use a pad, not an underquilt, and any unzipped sleeping bag is a fine quilt), but I digress:

a wonderful thing about a hammock/tarp setup is that you can stand up! Stand up to change, pee, talk, watch the rain, whatever. No floor to worry about, don't have to take off your shoes while contorting. Sit on a rock or a bear canister, under a 10x10 tarp, and it's the size of my bedroom!

Store bought hammock set ups are just heavy, especially when you add on underquilts, winter tarps and the like. I guess you can save a few ounces making it yourself.

What I do like about hammock is that "front porch" setup. Not only is it cool to have all that room to move around in the rain, and not be trapped in the confines of your tent, but you also can have an almost 360 view if you choose. With the rainfly on my tent, I get a little paranoid not being able to see what is making that noise outside.

hike500
04-30-2011, 01:46

They do by themselves all the time in the southeast? I'm confused now?

Oms
04-30-2011, 07:34
If you look at your set-up it's pretty light. There are some folks who get pretty light with a hammock set-up as well. In both cases some comforts are reduced like size of space or maybe a little chilly on cold nights. We have all seen the effects of getting lighter. At some point it is a personal decision. Nothing out there is perfect for every condition or terrain. Really you have to look at what season and where you will be hiking, in other words, picking the right tool for the job. That being said, here are my views on hammocks vs tents.

Pros for hammocks:
Better in the rain
-getting in and out of a tent with rain gear on soaks everything inside the tent.
-easier to set up because the tarp goes up first.
-no worries about run-off
-muddy shoes stay below hammock
-can make a night call without putting on rain gear
-raising tarp in the morning with lots of space to cook under
-ridgeline to dry clothes
-packing in morning easy under the tarp
-wet tarp is the last to take down and stays outside of pack
-less condensation

Much cooler in warmer weather due to convective cooling
-can set up tarp to catch a breeze

Much more comfortable for me

Depending on location, easier to find a place to set up

No one can sleep with me (hate tentmates)

Makes a great place to relax at lunch

Elevates your feet after a long day of hiking

Cons for hammocks:
More of a fiddle factor

Colder in the Winter, more insulation required

If at a designated campsite it may be a problem with site selection. This mostly pertains to campgrounds.

Pros for tents:
Faster to set up (I have a single wall, silnylon tent, super easy)

Warmer in the Winter

Shared weight (if you don't mind a tentmate)

Depending on type of tent, less stakes

Cons for tents:
Mostly the things mentioned above

Either way, these are only my opinions. I'm sure others can set up faster with less confusion, are warm sleepers, carry bigger or smaller tarps, etc. Bottom line HYOH

Oms
04-30-2011, 07:45
Oh sorry, I forgot to mention that I am a card carrying member of hammockforums.net :)

Captn
04-30-2011, 08:16
To quote another hanger .... Why would I want to sleep on the ground ... I pee on the ground.

Captn
04-30-2011, 08:18
To quote another hanger .... Why would I want to sleep on the ground ... I pee on the ground.

Why would I want to sleep in a shelter ... Mice poo in the shelters ..

So, if you want to sleep in the pee and the poo, don't carry a hammock.

Bearpaw
04-30-2011, 09:26
I'm willing to carry a pound and a half more weight for the comfort of my hammock, much better moisture control, an awesome chair/recliner, ease of setup/takedown in the rain, a handy clothesline, having all my gear off the ground, better views, etc, etc, etc.

I still have tents. There are a few places where they work better. But 90% of my hikes, I gladly hang.

10-K
04-30-2011, 10:05
I have an awesome hammock setup and I've used it twice.

What keeps me in a tent is that I like to roll over without getting out of my bag, fix breakfast and eat and roll back over and snooze for a bit before getting up.

The Neoair pretty much took care of any comfort issues I had with sleeping in a tent.

dla
04-30-2011, 10:59
I want to thank all of you for the information and laughs. You made this a good thread.

I finally broke down and bought a hammock and tarp. I promise not to call anybody "ground dweller" or tell them to "evolve". But I'll give hanging a try this year.

Oms
05-01-2011, 09:03
I want to thank all of you for the information and laughs. You made this a good thread.

I finally broke down and bought a hammock and tarp. I promise not to call anybody "ground dweller" or tell them to "evolve". But I'll give hanging a try this year.

So what did you end up getting? Take your time and be patient. It takes some fiddling to get comfortable. Hang your feet up higher or you will end up with them in the air in the morning. Take a look over at HF for a group hang. Lots can be learned from even one get together with other folks. So many ideas and styles. If it doesn't work out things sell pretty well over there.

dla
05-01-2011, 12:31
So what did you end up getting? Take your time and be patient. It takes some fiddling to get comfortable. Hang your feet up higher or you will end up with them in the air in the morning. Take a look over at HF for a group hang. Lots can be learned from even one get together with other folks. So many ideas and styles. If it doesn't work out things sell pretty well over there.

WBBB D1.7 w/adjustable straps, Bigmambajamba w/pullouts, GG thinlight 1/4"x39"x59" pad. I already have 3 season Black Mamba top quilt.

I plan on using the evazote pad between the layers and maybe a short piece of something else (reflectix, etc.) in the footbox.

BradMT
05-01-2011, 18:42
Hammocks, IMO, are better in the Eastern Woods than here in the West.

In the 1970's I made it a practice to hammock on the AT... I liked it back then and I don't doubt I'd like it now. It just isn't practical to rely on out here.

Monkeywrench
05-01-2011, 19:00

You can... but not gracefully.

Zeno Marx
05-01-2011, 19:18
I'm a side or stomach sleeper, usually on my side. Hammocks are not comfortable at all. I never go into a needed, deep sleep in a hammock. They're great for naps, but not for a full night's rest.

Oms
05-01-2011, 21:31
WBBB D1.7 w/adjustable straps, Bigmambajamba w/pullouts, GG thinlight 1/4"x39"x59" pad. I already have 3 season Black Mamba top quilt.

I plan on using the evazote pad between the layers and maybe a short piece of something else (reflectix, etc.) in the footbox.

Are you a pretty big guy, say over 200#. If not you could go a little lighter on the hammock. Just so you know Brandon made a 1.1/1.7 for me. Saves a little weight. Just got my son the double 1.0 and it has more shoulder squeeze for someone my size. I'm about 190#, 6 ft tall. I still would like to try a double 1.1. As for the straps, I like the ease of use. Doesn't get any easier. Have fun with it. Need any help you know where to go.

Tinker
05-01-2011, 22:52
I'm a side or stomach sleeper, usually on my side. Hammocks are not comfortable at all. I never go into a needed, deep sleep in a hammock. They're great for naps, but not for a full night's rest.

I sleep on my side all the time in my hammock, and it isn't a fancy diagonal lay model.
"They're not for a full night's rest."
Exactly right - for you.:)

88BlueGT
05-02-2011, 11:19
What about having a down day in the rain or something and your stuck in your hammock. What the hell do you do than ? That has to be horrible.

Raul Perez
05-02-2011, 11:33
Yeah lounging in your hammock all day in the rain.... Horrible existence

fredmugs
05-02-2011, 11:58
What about having a down day in the rain or something and your stuck in your hammock. What the hell do you do than ? That has to be horrible.

I imagine most people are like me in that we would set up our hammocks somewhere near a shelter but not sleep in them. In your scenario we would be smart enough to come out of the rain and sit out a storm inside the shelter. Most people anyway.

88BlueGT
05-02-2011, 16:22
You were supposed to say, "down day because of rain? whats that?" :D

J5man
05-02-2011, 16:30
The expansion in campsite options is the most obvious advantage over your current setup. (besides the sleep quality). No more hunting for that perfect flat spot.

I still do both but lean more towards hanging, but this is one of the biggest advnatages I have found. It took a little while to get used to sleeping in one, some nights I sleep great and some I don't. To me, one of the great things about backpacking is there are so many options so mix it up and have fun with it. I do something different on every hike. The "system" you use today will be different two years from now. It's all good.

Bearpaw
05-02-2011, 16:31

Yeah lounging in your hammock all day in the rain.... Horrible existence

Yes, you can see how miserable I am.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/Pinhoti%20GA%20May%2010/028.jpg

My Warbonnet Blackbird is one of the most comfortable chair/recliners I know.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/Roan%20Highlands%20Oct%2010/024.jpg

With my tarp propped up to form a "front porch", I have a LOT more room than a tent would offer.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/bearpawat99/Pinhoti%20Trail%20Oct%2009/013a.jpg

I wouldn't want to be out long term under the postage stamp size Hennessy Hammock Hex Fly in long-term rain. I did that for 6 days in 2005 and got pretty claustrophic. But with newer hammocks and a larger quality tarp, I have a system that I far prefer to tenting.

J5man
05-02-2011, 16:35
I have Bearpaw's system as well (as i read his reviews on it and he sold me on it). Warbonnet hammock with an Ed Speers tarp. I have not gone the level of using my hiking poles for the tarp set up yet but I hoping to get to that level. It's all about baby steps!

88BlueGT
05-02-2011, 16:55
I don't even think I am tall enough to hang a hammock! :rolleyes:

lustreking
05-02-2011, 22:57
I haven't made my underquilt yet, but the materials should hopefully arrive tonight, so I'm estimating the weight of the uq, but my hammock, suspension, bug net, tarp, "Bishop" stuff sack, ridgeline organizer, and uq should weigh about 40 oz, and cost me less than $120.

I just finished my UQ and weighed everything together. Everything that I need to hang, except for a top quilt, is 44.9oz.

Kia Kaha
05-03-2011, 11:46
I tried to do the hammock thing several years back, but I just could not get comfortable. Bearpaw's photos have me rethinking that. That is a very sweet set up and with the poles used to make the "front porch" the room looks great. If I were interested in such a set up were would I look? I am 6' 225#. I currently have a Lunar Duo and Solo. I use the duo most of the time even solo just for the space.

Tinker
05-03-2011, 11:46
You were supposed to say, "down day because of rain? whats that?" :D

Exactly. I suppose thruhikers probably have a lot more zero days than we section hikers have, usually because we're still stuck in the weekly rut and have to get back to work at a specific time.

"I just walked. I was very happy." Bill Bryson A Walk in the Woods. (and my original signature line here).

Kia Kaha
05-03-2011, 11:50
I tried to do the hammock thing several years back, but I just could not get comfortable. Bearpaw's photos have me rethinking that. That is a very sweet set up and with the poles used to make the "front porch" the room looks great. If I were interested in such a set up were would I look? I am 6' 225#. I currently have a Lunar Duo and Solo. I use the duo most of the time even solo just for the space.

One more thing, comfort is most important to me (my current set up is the SMD LD, BA IAC or Downmat 9, WM cloudrest pillow, and WM Caribou or Alpinlite, I have some lower back issues so not crawling on the ground could help.

88BlueGT
05-03-2011, 11:59
Not to change the topic, but being only 5'8'', does anyone here have problems hanging the hammocks at this height? Seems that I wouldn't be able to get the straps up high enough :rolleyes:

Raul Perez
05-03-2011, 12:27
Not to change the topic, but being only 5'8'', does anyone here have problems hanging the hammocks at this height? Seems that I wouldn't be able to get the straps up high enough :rolleyes:

I'm 5'4"... you officially have zero excuses now :D

88BlueGT
05-03-2011, 12:34
I'm 5'4"... you officially have zero excuses now :D

But you didn't answer my question, can you successfully hang a hammock without it being so low that your butt drags on the ground? :D

J5man
05-03-2011, 12:45
But you didn't answer my question, can you successfully hang a hammock without it being so low that your butt drags on the ground? :D

Doesn't matter how short or tall one is. Just tighten the straps at whatever level you desire. I hang mine kind of low where my feet touch the ground when I sit in it. I have cooked on the ground while laying in my hammock in really cold weather. A hammock doesn't have to be tied really high. Just experiment until you find the sweet spot.

Raul Perez
05-03-2011, 12:57
hmm let you decide for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mWPGg2LgcY (time 7:50)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRVF08SP9qs (Time 4:40)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSMTbRmumwk (Time 5:22)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=113yjebpHQI (Time 1:36)

88BlueGT
05-03-2011, 13:02
Excuse my ignorance, I have never hung a hammock before. I sure do want to though! Anyone want to trade a TT Rainbow for a nice hammock setup? I didn't even get it yet, the Rainbow is on its way to my house, I can call UPS and have it re-routed :D

FYI, can't watch the video's (at work), but I'm sure its not a video of you rolling around struggling to hang one lol

Raul Perez
05-03-2011, 13:12
No worries I was just messin with you anyway.

Doesn't matter how tall you are or short the hammock suspension can be adjusted. Dont get all by the book at a perfect 30* angle or that nonesense. Just hang and adjust as necessary to be comfortable.

Leave the numbers to those filthy geeky accountants!

88BlueGT
05-03-2011, 13:25
No worries I was just messin with you anyway.

Doesn't matter how tall you are or short the hammock suspension can be adjusted. Dont get all by the book at a perfect 30* angle or that nonesense. Just hang and adjust as necessary to be comfortable.

Leave the numbers to those filthy geeky accountants!

I'm a CPA :( ......

still messing around?

Raul Perez
05-03-2011, 13:46
So am I... and yes I am still messing around BAM

88BlueGT
05-03-2011, 13:52
HAHA! I'm not a CPA, just thought I'd be able to get cha.... your too good though, too good!

Another day....

Raul Perez
05-03-2011, 13:55
Ha! No worries... and yes I actually am a CPA. I audit local governments and not-for-profits. I nail those that misuse public money to the wall!

88BlueGT
05-03-2011, 14:04
Damn, where were you last week I needed some serious help w/ my accounting class! LOL

Bearpaw
05-03-2011, 14:38

One more thing, comfort is most important to me (my current set up is the SMD LD, BA IAC or Downmat 9, WM cloudrest pillow, and WM Caribou or Alpinlite, I have some lower back issues so not crawling on the ground could help.

The hammock in the pictures is a Warbonnet Blackbird (http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/blackbirds.php). I weigh in the upper 200's right now, so I go with the double layer 1.7. For your weight, you would be fine with the double layer 1.1 (1.1 oz fabric). You would save about 9 ounces that way.

I love the footbox of the Blackbird because it allows me to sleep almost perfectly flat when I lay on the diagonal. Its gear loft is huge compared to any of the other hammocks I've tried and I never lose something once I tuck it into there (like my book or teddy bear). The mosquito is a blessing when bugs are out.

The tarps are different from one picture to the next. The brown one is a Speer Winter Tarp (SWT) from Speer Hammocks. However, Ed Speer is not making the SWT at this time. The green tarp is a Warbonnet Big Mamajamba (http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/tarps.php) with detachable doors. I like the ability to take of the doors in warmer weather and save weight, but it can be a bit more time consuming to set up than a tarp with the doors already affixed like the SWT. The closest thing to the cut of the SWT is the Warbonnet Superfly. I just got one in digital camo :banana, that I will use this summer when stealth camping near forest service roads on the Sheltowee Trace.

There is a definite learning curve to it all, but Warbonnet is especially good for tutorial videos. I am about to leave from work right now and cannot access Youtube, but I will see if I can get some video for you later this evening.

Kia Kaha
05-03-2011, 15:25
The hammock in the pictures is a Warbonnet Blackbird (http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/blackbirds.php). I weigh in the upper 200's right now, so I go with the double layer 1.7. For your weight, you would be fine with the double layer 1.1 (1.1 oz fabric). You would save about 9 ounces that way.

I love the footbox of the Blackbird because it allows me to sleep almost perfectly flat when I lay on the diagonal. Its gear loft is huge compared to any of the other hammocks I've tried and I never lose something once I tuck it into there (like my book or teddy bear). The mosquito is a blessing when bugs are out.

The tarps are different from one picture to the next. The brown one is a Speer Winter Tarp (SWT) from Speer Hammocks. However, Ed Speer is not making the SWT at this time. The green tarp is a Warbonnet Big Mamajamba (http://warbonnetoutdoors.com/tarps.php) with detachable doors. I like the ability to take of the doors in warmer weather and save weight, but it can be a bit more time consuming to set up than a tarp with the doors already affixed like the SWT. The closest thing to the cut of the SWT is the Warbonnet Superfly. I just got one in digital camo :banana, that I will use this summer when stealth camping near forest service roads on the Sheltowee Trace.

There is a definite learning curve to it all, but Warbonnet is especially good for tutorial videos. I am about to leave from work right now and cannot access Youtube, but I will see if I can get some video for you later this evening.

Great info, thanks. I do most of my backpacking in WV and OH, so trees are never an issue, I will have to start checking the videos out. I am not super concerned about weight. My 3 season base weight is about 17#, it was just under 15, but I have added several items back in for comfort. Great info, thanks again.

Kia Kaha
05-03-2011, 15:42
Great info, thanks. I do most of my backpacking in WV and OH, so trees are never an issue, I will have to start checking the videos out. I am not super concerned about weight. My 3 season base weight is about 17#, it was just under 15, but I have added several items back in for comfort. Great info, thanks again.

How does the underquilt work on the Warbonets? Most of the ones I have seen seem bigger, they only go shoulder to knee, is that due to the top quilt going up to the knee?

Chance09
05-03-2011, 17:07
weights are about the same, and they can be a lot less than what you've listed. you don't need both an underquilt and a pad for your hammock unless you are going 4 season.

Big reasons hammocks are great.

The AT is crowded during thru hiker season. Doesn't matter, all you need is two trees. Can set up almost anywhere. In the brush, in thorns, on rocky and roots spots you'd never want to lay down. you can set up over a small stream if you life...did that once.

You can set up on any slope at just about any angle.

If the ground is soaked you don't get wet. No matter how waterproof your tent is if you wake up in a few inches of standing water you will still be wet if you are on the ground. Had 80+ days of rain the year I thru hiked.

You have the luxury of carrying a tarp. There were many rainy days where i would set my tarp up for lunch to hide out under the rain. At dinner other hikers would come hangout and cook under my tarp since they didn't want to cook in their tents and then i would string my hammock up later.

Add that to the ease of setup, the ease of take down, being incredibly comfortable anywhere you have two trees and i'm sold.

Those are the reasons why i hammock.

Bearpaw
05-03-2011, 17:12
A few of the videos out there. This one from Shug (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yxevtxnkmkk) convinced me to buy a blackbird. It's very well done. He has some absolutely hilarious videos that are also very informative.

This page (http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/setup.php) offers three setups from Brandon of Warbonnet hammocks. He shows setup of the hammock, Yeti underquilt, and one of his tarps.

How does the underquilt work on the Warbonets? Most of the ones I have seen seem bigger, they only go shoulder to knee, is that due to the top quilt going up to the knee?

It attaches on the end bundles of the hammock as shown in the video above from Warbonnet. For the legs, I use a 24" x 20" piece of foam pad. It doubles as my sit pad for rest stops and camp kitchen if I don't cook under my tarp. It weighs about 3 1/2 ounces and is one of my best pieces of gear. It also eliminates one of the minor complaints with the blackbird, that the edge of the footbox can push up into the calves. The pad prevents this entirely.

If you think you might consider a second hammock, other than a Warbonnet, you might want to look at a 3/4 length Phoenix underquilt (http://www.hammockgear.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3_6) from Hammockgear.com. It's a bit wider than the Yeti, but it will work fine for both symmetrical and asymmetrical hammocks. The Yeti is specifically designed for the left-right diagonal lay of the Blackbird. It does not fit so well on symmetrical hammocks like my ENO Doublenest, my preference in winter. But for that rig, I bought a full length Winter Incubator (http://www.hammockgear.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=3_7) from Hammockgear. It's a great piece of gear.

There are plenty of options out there. These are the ones that work well for my.

wvgrinder
05-03-2011, 19:00
I had sex in a hammock. I was alone, but it still counts-doesn't it? :o

TallShark
05-03-2011, 20:10
I had sex in a hammock. I was alone, but it still counts-doesn't it? :o

Oh. My. God. :banana

Chance09
05-03-2011, 20:32

i'll second that one and :welcome to whiteblaze

TAS
05-12-2011, 16:53
From the Warbonnet site

Superfly tarp 19oz $130
Blackbird 1.7 double 40oz $175
Quilt under 12.5oz $190

total 71.5oz $495

71.5oz or 4lb 7.5oz

Light and cheap?

Buy a cheap UL used tent, throw way the rain cover and get a tarp?

John

Raul Perez
05-12-2011, 17:43
John,

Funny how you chose the heaviest items on his site to compare with tents. I could easily do that with tents as well. Pricing to tents...hammocks are about $100-150 more expensive if you are trying to go UL compared to the latest and greatest UL tents out there.

Deadeye
05-12-2011, 20:51
I already posted some of what I see as advantages of a hammock, but the OP asked if there was any advantage beyond a good night's sleep.

Isn't a good night's sleep all the reason you need?

Once asleep, I sleep like a log in my hammock, without waking up at all during the night. No aching back, no sore hips, no sore nothin'.

MedicineMan
05-13-2011, 07:29
I just got back from 3 days in the Savage Gulf.
First night 12 hours of solid sleep.
Second night 10 hours.
So there is probably no wonder that I have a Warbonnet in my bedroom.
Another advantage is the 'cure' factor....some may not believe...but hangers know that the hammock really removes the pressure points...kinda like being weightless or floating in water, allowing a lot of regeneration.
Yes the NeoAir is the best pad ever made-got two of them for when I have to de-evolve but even the NeoAir pales in comfort to a hammock.
My Warbonnet Traveler is 16 ounces.
2 ounce bugnet (thanks to Mrs. Sgt. Rock)
3 season underquilt 16 ounces.
Summer top quilt 14 ounces.
Cuben tarp 6.4 ounces.........3.4 pounds.....in summer/very early fall it goes down to
2.9 pounds.
Cooking---one of the coolest things is firing up the stove beside the hammock and then sitting in the 'lazy-boy' and having tea :) and your feet never have to leave the ground :)

Kia Kaha
05-13-2011, 07:41
From the Warbonnet site

Superfly tarp 19oz $130
Blackbird 1.7 double 40oz $175
Quilt under 12.5oz $190

total 71.5oz $495

71.5oz or 4lb 7.5oz

Light and cheap?

Buy a cheap UL used tent, throw way the rain cover and get a tarp?

John

The OP says they would carry 2#'s more for comfort sake. A good night sleep is worth 2# in my book as well. Not everyone is hung up on weight, as some better packs (see McHale-Mystery Ranch) can carry a 35# load "lighter" than a UL pack carries 20#'s.

The OP does not mention price as a factor either, some folks need to understand there are various people in different stages of life out there, when I was 25 price was a big concern. Now I could care less about price if it is the right piece of gear that meets my needs.

TAS
05-13-2011, 12:20
John,

Funny how you chose the heaviest items on his site to compare with tents. I could easily do that with tents as well. Pricing to tents...hammocks are about $100-150 more expensive if you are trying to go UL compared to the latest and greatest UL tents out there.

I do so because one I am a big boy and I get more HD stuff because I want it to last and not give me problems in the field.

I did the heavy ones because that is what I would buy, for me thats correct.

Thanks

John

TAS
05-13-2011, 12:26
The OP says they would carry 2#'s more for comfort sake. A good night sleep is worth 2# in my book as well. Not everyone is hung up on weight, as some better packs (see McHale-Mystery Ranch) can carry a 35# load "lighter" than a UL pack carries 20#'s.

The OP does not mention price as a factor either, some folks need to understand there are various people in different stages of life out there, when I was 25 price was a big concern. Now I could care less about price if it is the right piece of gear that meets my needs.

I recall when I could buy for 25 cents for a WHOLE gallon, hows that for being old?

Even being this old there is always a balance between cost/weight/comfort.
If there was none, well we might have a 45 foot motor home at each shelter?

Buffalo Skipper
05-13-2011, 14:08
...I would carry 2 extra lbs - not a big deal, and shell out a minor mountain of money.

Lots have answered here, but let me add a few things.
1) For me, I have lighter gear than I had with my tent. So far my winter weight is about 3 lbs less than my old winter tent arrangement. My summer weight is about 3.5 lbs less.
2) I stay much drier in the rain. When I set up camp, I set up the tarp first, and remain dry as I set up the hammock underneath. Raining when I break camp? I do the reverse. Take down the quilts and hammock first, stow dry in my pack and then take down the tarp, which I leave on the outside and pack separate. If I need a dry place for lunch, just set up the tarp quick.
3) Someone mentioned a fiddle factor and said that setting up a tent was quicker. I disagree. Once I had about 10+ nights in my hammock, I was able to set it up in about 2-3 minutes (including tarp). For me, this was great. And unlike a tent, everything stays dry as I set up (see #2 above)
4) Sometimes it can be challenging to find an open flat spot to pitch a tent, or a spot free of rocks and/or roots. These factors are irrevelent in a hammock. Localized flooding, which may affect a tent's "bath tub" also become a non-issue.
5) Did anyone mention that it was more comfortable? I sleep soooo much better in hammock than on the ground. My life will be happy if I never have to sleep on the ground again in my life. I wake up well rested and fresh, not sore and bruised like I used to. But I think you already got that. ;)

Disadvantages? I would say there are a few.
1) Fiddle factor. I think the learning curve is shallower than with a tent for someone new to hammocking and experienced in tents. Once that experience level is achieved, this becomes a moot point.
2) Cost. I have spent a significant amount of money on my hammock system. I have bought a hammock, suspension system (lines/straps for hanging a hammock), a custom tarp, and summer and winter underquilts. I have spent well north of $500. As I replace my sleeping bags with (seasonal) top quilts, I still have a bit of money to spend. On the the same lines. These top quilts are lighter than comperable sleeping bags and could just as easily be used by tent campers. Again, once the money is spent, this issue is an element in the past and no longer a stumbling block.
3) There is a risk of not finding appropriate trees from which to hang. This is less of an issue in the East than some areas out West. See advantages #4 above for the flip side of this argument.

Hope that helps.

I second the WBBB. I do not have one, but have borrowed a friend's. It is the next item I want (hopefully I will have one in 2 months). If you really want to learn more about hammocks, I cannot encourage you enough to go to www.hammockforums.net/forum/ (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/). Here you will find thousands of hammockers from around the world who can give you may tips and much information. I didn't see anyone else recomend to you to check out the hammockforum. Sorry if I am repeating if someone else already suggested this. Also as Raul says, the online videos are fantastic. Raul's are great, but you also have to check out Shug and Grizz.

Good luck.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/2/9/8/2/2/hammock-april11-02.jpg

Raul Perez
05-13-2011, 18:36
Shugs videos are lightyears beyond mine. I'm a CPA so my videos tend to be more technical with some humor lately. Shug's are always funny because he's 100% recycled awesome. And he's a great entertainer (he does it for a living).

http://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery

Migrating Bird
05-14-2011, 07:51
I'll just add one more thing, in my hammock kit I have a small wide 1/4" pad which I can use as sit pad or as additional insulation in my WBBB dbl layer hammock. If for some reason as a last resort I can use the pad on the ground under my WBBB. I set up the hammock/tarp as a "pup" tent on the ground using my poles to hold up the tarp and the ends of the hammock. The WBBB comes complete with netting so I am totally bug free. Imagine going the other way, it would be funny to try to hang a tent in a tree to get off the ground:)

scope
05-18-2011, 17:27
Nope... no other reason than better sleep being worth the weight. I do think for some that the difference may not be as great, but for some, especially those getting older like me, it makes a big enough difference to not really care about the weight. But the weight can be worked on little by little, which is most of what you see going on at hammockforums.net where most there are veteran hangers who are constantly improving their setup.

Take that back, the one other reason would be the flat campsite thing. You can always hang your hammock level. But really, that's about getting better sleep, too.

And, well, its more open and airy, but that's about better sleep, too. And when its really hot out, the coolness on the back stops being a bad thing. But again, its about better sleep.

Actually, I'm a lot less worried about where water is going when it rains, which I guess is also about better sleep.