PDA

View Full Version : Going out next week after weight loss

earlyriser26
04-27-2011, 19:00
After a real painful hike in the "easy" part of the wilderness last October I decided I finally had to go from being OMG freakishly fat 285 lbs to something more reasonable. Since Jan. 1 I have lost 70 lbs and now am a more normal fat 215 lb 55 year old. Talk about weight savings. Anyone else lost some major poundage and how did it change your experience? My weight goal is to hit something that starts with a one. Then maybe I can give the hard part of the wilderness a try this October.

T-Dubs
04-27-2011, 19:20
Congratulations on your success. Impressive.

Sun Blazed
04-27-2011, 19:24
If you don't mind me asking how did you lose that much weight? Like what did you do/eat? And your work out routine?

earlyriser26
04-27-2011, 21:22
If you don't mind me asking how did you lose that much weight? Like what did you do/eat? And your work out routine?
No change in workout at all. Heck, it takes a great deal of excercise to work off just one snickers bar. You don't get to be real fat if you are eating normally. My guess is I was eating about 3 -4k calories per day. Including way too much beer. The solution? No beer:eek: Only lunch and dinner. Eat normal lunch, maybe 600 calories and no more than 600 for dinner. Workout 5x a week and maybe burn 600 calories and net you take in a net of 600 a day. You burn much more than that just living. Only tough at first. Now I am not often real hungry. Portion control and avoid the obvious things. Caloric math is simple. It all comes down to input and output. Output is the hard way (crazy excercise). Input is much easier.

enurdat1
04-27-2011, 22:18
Congrats on your success. I battle with my weight constantly. Having to maintain a specific max weight for work makes it difficult most of the time. If they only made diet scotch...

Chubbs4U
04-27-2011, 22:53
Congrats. Its a tough road but looks like you are doing great.

rpenczek
04-28-2011, 15:04
I dropped about 80 lbs from January to June last year for a Philmont backpacking trip (I went from 320 to 235). The BSA fat police are serious on us leaders.

Anyway, I have always worked out (could not run, but could walk forever). At 320, I only had two real problems with backpacking, finding a sleeping bag that would fit and having sore hips if I went beyond about 12 miles in a day. Oh and I took OTC pain meds when hiking (for the sore hips). (So I guess I could not really walk forever, but who needs more than 12 miles a day).

The biggest change since the weight loss is I never use OTC pain meds after a day of hiking, I recover immediately upon stopping for the day (have energy like the boys to play frisbee after hiking 12 miles) and my sleeping bag fits much better.

I run now to stay in shape (really so I can drink a few beers now and again). Heck, I have even run a 1/2 marathon in the past 6 months.

You are correct that weight loss is a matter of calories in vs calories out. Of course, less sugar in the calories you do eat helps increase the speed of weight loss.

Gratz on you loss.

tuswm
04-28-2011, 19:04
about 70 LBS swimming and watching what I eat not how much.