PDA

View Full Version : Using the iPhone with Verizon on the AT?

gardenville
04-27-2011, 20:50
I would like some feedback from anyone that has or is using the iPhone with Verizon on the AT.

I am thinking about getting an iPhone but don't like AT&T so I have been waiting to see how Verizon is working out along the AT.

Thanks.

sizemj
04-27-2011, 21:42
I have Verizon. I do not have a Iphone. I can say in NC and TN at high points I can usually make phone calls.

88BlueGT
04-28-2011, 14:51
I have heard that Verizon has better coverage on the trail than AT&T does. Therefore, your Verizon iPhone should be just fine. I was out 2 weeks ago in NJ w/ my Verizon iPhone and I had reception everywhere I was.

Spokes
04-28-2011, 16:09
Yep, Verizon had the very best coverage during my 2009 thru hike. I carried a small flip phone back then but have the iPhone now. All the extra features will certainly come in handy!

88BlueGT
04-28-2011, 16:41
^^ +1

Theres a million things you can do with your iPhone on the trail.

- Handle email
- Make phone calls
- GPS
- Compass
- Voice recorder
- Camera
- Video Camera
- Trackers
- Internet
- Journals, logs, texts, etc.
- GPS specific item locators (like bars and grocery stores, tracked using satellite)
- You look cool
- You get to hear a bunch of people whine because you have a cell phone
- Mirror
- Mobile GPS tracked weather updates
- Radio
- iPod
- entertainment (everything from the internet to movies)
- digital books

:D

DripDry
04-28-2011, 16:53
My experience last year Springer to HF was the Verizon service worked well. Hikers I met with AT&T were generally having more trouble connecting (although in fairness there was at least one shelter where a guy with AT&T connected and I could not). Service through GA was incredlble with service almost everywhere I tried- and the biggest gap on my trip was surprisingly (at least to me) the BRP and SNP areas. An interesting note given the recent weather- my buddy had a Droid and one night we had a bad storm and heard what we thought was a Tornado siren. It helped to be able to pull up weather maps and weather warnings to see what was going on.

Transition Bob
05-19-2011, 16:46
I just section hiked Dickey Gap to Damascus with my AT&T iPhone and got 0 reception on the trail and 0 reception in Damascus and the surrounding area. The iPhone does, by the way, have a free altimeter app.

mmais68569
05-19-2011, 17:11
The only place I have had problems with Verizon on the AT is in the Smokey mountains park. Seems that they do not have any or many towers in the park. Most & very few were made with only 1or 2 bars.

Mike (Mr. Mean)

sarman
06-01-2011, 18:49
My ATT iphone was spotty Damascus - Waynesboro this spring. People with Verizon had better reception than I. I would suggest a spare external battery as well.

Patrickjd9
06-01-2011, 21:12
I had service on Verizon nearly everywhere south of Damascus and in Damascus this spring.

FritztheCat
06-01-2011, 22:10
Thru hiking now and Verizon beats other servicxes out here. Some of my buddies have AT&T, some have T mobile but my service is always more available than theirs. There are still several places I don't get service though.

ATladyinpa
06-03-2011, 12:53
We have heard from some of the hikers that have stayed at our hostel that Verizon is the best for getting service on the AT. We have AT&T and cannot get any signal until we are off our mountain. Go for Verizon.

birchy
06-03-2011, 16:34
The Michaux State Forest in Southern PA is known for its lack of cell phone signal. However, it seems that everyone that has called me from the trail has had Verizon. The next best carrier is Sprint, then AT&T, etc. These mountains are under military cell signal interruptions due to the proximity of key GOV installations. VERIZON with an iPhone is the way to go