PDA

View Full Version : $$$ for thur hike

goody5534
04-27-2011, 21:08
I am intent on doing a thru hike in 2012, can y'all give me estimates or hard figures for cost? I wanna do it in 5 months if that helps, at all...

DapperD
04-28-2011, 00:12
I am intent on doing a thru hike in 2012, can y'all give me estimates or hard figures for cost? I wanna do it in 5 months if that helps, at all...A lot depends on what you want out of your hike. Wether you want to mostly hike and avoid towns or wether you want to splurge by going into towns often. I have read on here mostly the costs varying between $1500 and $5000 depending on the hiker and his/her wants and needs. And this cost range/estimate is not for gear or travel to/from the trail heads.

goody5534
04-28-2011, 10:08
To Clarify: I have all the gear any hiker could need and would like to have. I assume I would want to see a town or two every month and get a shower, and Iced Coffee etc...

kayak karl
04-28-2011, 10:18
........5k............

Fog Horn
04-28-2011, 10:24
I'm along the same line as you. I'd like to see a town or two a month, and for a few of those side trips I'd like to sleep on a nice fluffy bed with a nice fluffy pillow which I know will run me more than a hostel. I plan on replacing my shoes, and my socks, and possibly a couple other items. There is always food and fuel costs too.

I'm saving up 5 thousand for the trip itself, although I'm hoping not to spend more than 2500. I'm also putting in another two or three thousand because I have injuries that might flare up on the trail and I might need medical help. Even if I wasn't injured, I'd still want the cushion in case of emergencies. If my dog comes along with me, I'll save up another thousand for her food and vet costs.

The money thing though, is relative. I'd rather not worry about money on the trail, and although I hope to spend only half of what I'm saving for the trail, I still feel better knowing the money is there if I need it.

sbhikes
04-28-2011, 13:17
You should do a forum search. This question is asked every few weeks, if not days.

10-K
04-28-2011, 13:20
That's how much I'd have though most think it's extravagant.

But, I'd rather come home with some money left than to quit early because I ran out.

Plus, Manchester Center is worth $500 alone... :)

ekeverette
04-28-2011, 13:34
10-k is a hiking dude. i would say a seasoned hiker, take his advice.

10-K
04-28-2011, 13:38
10-k is a hiking dude. i would say a seasoned hiker, take his advice.

I don't know if I'd go that far. :)

Half-baked average hiker with a lot to learn is more like it.