PDA

View Full Version : Most popular Month to depart for thru Hike

Tennessee Y'sGuy
04-27-2011, 22:59
Seems like March has replaced April for most thru hikers to head Northbound after looking at Mt. Squids 2011 class report. Anyone have thoughts or reasons as to the earlier exodus?

DapperD
04-27-2011, 23:54
Seems like March has replaced April for most thru hikers to head Northbound after looking at Mt. Squids 2011 class report. Anyone have thoughts or reasons as to the earlier exodus?I think for some of the younger hiker's being able to finish in time in order to return to school may be one reason. Other's reasons may be anxiousness to begin or the thought to get a head start due to reduced ability to make big miles either for being out of shape, or for the senior hikers who feel the need to include extra time.

Spirit Walker
04-28-2011, 00:11
There was also the wish to avoid the erstwhile April 1 crowds. When the trail became more popular in the late '80's, people began starting earlier and earlier to avoid the hordes. Even when the numbers of thruhikers began to drop, people retained the perception that April was too crowded. Now March 1 and 15 are much more popular than April dates. If I were to thruhike again, I'd start April 10. The weather is much better and the bulk of the hikers have already started except for students who can't start until May. A nice window of opportunity.

WingedMonkey
04-28-2011, 00:24
Are there some actual stats available? I thought March was always more departures.

map man
04-28-2011, 00:44
In the study I did of northbound thru-hikers in my "Hiking Rates" article here at WB I've looked at the classes of 2001 through 2010 so far (240 thru-hikes in total). Here's how their departure dates broke down by month of departure:

Jan. - Feb.: 13%
March: 60%
April: 24%
May or later: 3%

These numbers are a pretty good match for Mountain Squid's numbers. I can't comment on how that has changed since earlier eras because I don't have access to a large number of hiking journals from earlier times.

I think that March start dates have become somewhat self-perpetuating because so many hikers value the social aspect of the thru-hike experience. Some worry that if they start outside of the six week window from, say, Feb. 25 through April 7, that there won't be enough other thru-hikers around that are good hiking-partner matches in terms of hiking speed and temperament. With 30 people a day leaving Springer for much of March it's easier to find a pod to hike in.

I'm with Spirit Walker. If I ever did a NOBO thru-hike I would start in late April. The social aspect of hiking is not as important to me and the avoiding-bad-weather aspect is more important.

WingedMonkey
04-28-2011, 01:04
Even in '95 I left April 6 to avoid some crowds.

Montana Mac
04-28-2011, 08:07
I started in March 4 because it was my birthday.

I had someone tell me a lot start in March so they can "March Fourth" toward Katahdin

10-K
04-28-2011, 08:12
My opinion is that the perfect start date would be July 1st from Baxter State Park.

I don't think I'd ever consider a NOBO thru.

Tinker
04-28-2011, 08:36
Are there some actual stats available? I thought March was always more departures.

April used to be the #1 month (back in the 70s, 80s and 90s).
I think there's the illusion that starting a month earlier means you'll finish a month earlier.
That has proven, with few exceptions, not to be the case.
Folks leaving in March are far more likely to spend zero days in shelters, towns, or tents waiting for fresh snow to melt (or just trying to thaw out).
With the current wicked weather, I bet lots of folks are glad that they left early, though.
I hope all the hikers are ok.

jersey joe
04-28-2011, 09:00
Global Warming??? March is the new April???
Nah...

Idaho_Nomad
05-01-2011, 00:28
Me personally, I have to be back at school in the Fall so I want to give myself enough time to make a good effort at a thru hike while still being able to make it to school and find a job/apartment/whatever.

Entropy2012
05-01-2011, 09:15
Me personally, I have to be back at school in the Fall so I want to give myself enough time to make a good effort at a thru hike while still being able to make it to school and find a job/apartment/whatever.

This.

I have until the end of August so I'm giving myself a 6 month window by starting in the first couple days of March.

I mean, I could stay out a little longer, but then I'd miss freshers week and not even the AT is gonna keep me from a week's excuse of drinking. :p

Jim Adams
05-01-2011, 13:55
Personally I think it is because with all of the available resources offered today, shuttles, hostles, stores, resturants, motels, etc., there is more time spent in town now than before. This probably also accounts for the higher expense to thru....inflation hasn't raised a hikers cost that much more over the years

geek

Lybarger
05-01-2011, 14:20
Personally I think it is because with all of the available resources offered today, shuttles, hostles, stores, resturants, motels, etc., there is more time spent in town now than before. This probably also accounts for the higher expense to thru....inflation hasn't raised a hikers cost that much more over the years

geek

I agree with geek.

Wonder how gas prices are going to affect shuttle rates? Also, hikers getting those free shuttles that hostel operators offer, need to consider raising their "donation". You can easily spend $100 filling the tank of a pickup truck.

stranger
05-02-2011, 00:18
More hikers might leave in March but remember, this is largely because you have the entire month of March, while April starters traditionally leave in the first two weeks...not all of them, but certainly most.

I see absolutely no reason to leave in March, unless you anticipate a very slow start and a solid 6 month hike, leaving in April, even late April is fine. You are far, far more likely to run into snow and extended snow than if you left if mid April. Starting in early March also means more town time, as you will inevitably have to wait out storms in motels and hostels. This means more town meals and more money, much more money.

As far as crowds go, I think starting anywhere between 1 March and 15 April means starting with alot of other hikers. I wouldn't start in Feb, too short of daylight and too cold for me, to avoid crowds I would suggest leaving late April, early May, go Sobo, or use a alternative start and flip. There is plenty of solitude along the AT if you use your brain.

If I were to go again I would go Nobo and wouldn't leave before the 25th of April

Entropy2012
05-02-2011, 16:32
More hikers might leave in March but remember, this is largely because you have the entire month of March, while April starters traditionally leave in the first two weeks...not all of them, but certainly most.

I see absolutely no reason to leave in March, unless you anticipate a very slow start and a solid 6 month hike, leaving in April, even late April is fine. You are far, far more likely to run into snow and extended snow than if you left if mid April. Starting in early March also means more town time, as you will inevitably have to wait out storms in motels and hostels. This means more town meals and more money, much more money.

As far as crowds go, I think starting anywhere between 1 March and 15 April means starting with alot of other hikers. I wouldn't start in Feb, too short of daylight and too cold for me, to avoid crowds I would suggest leaving late April, early May, go Sobo, or use a alternative start and flip. There is plenty of solitude along the AT if you use your brain.

If I were to go again I would go Nobo and wouldn't leave before the 25th of April

You know, call me crazy, but I actually want to start early enough that I can make it through some snow storms and bad weather. Out here everything is so ridiculously tame that starting in late April would almost make it a letdown.

I bet I regret this decision next march. :p

TrailNoob
05-03-2011, 15:06
I am hoping (fingers crossed) to be out on the trail the first week of March. I am from North Dakota so snow and wind mean nothing to me really. I am no stranger to -60 and hurricane force winds. I need all the extra time I can get though as I am a complete noob when it comes to mountains and what not. In ND we have the turtle mountains which are really just the biggest hills in the state and nowhere near real mountains. Mostly though my husband and I can not wait to get started and we are anticipating a long slow hike up the trail. See you all there.:)

max patch
05-03-2011, 15:21
I started 5/1 and upon refection think that 4/15 would be the "best" date to start; at least for me.

I think a lot of people start too early because they don't how long a thru will take them and they want to make sure they finish. So they end up starting hiking in less than optimal conditions and finish hiking in late summer and missing fall in new england.

Jim Adams
05-03-2011, 17:08
I am hoping (fingers crossed) to be out on the trail the first week of March. I am from North Dakota so snow and wind mean nothing to me really. I am no stranger to -60 and hurricane force winds. I need all the extra time I can get though as I am a complete noob when it comes to mountains and what not. In ND we have the turtle mountains which are really just the biggest hills in the state and nowhere near real mountains. Mostly though my husband and I can not wait to get started and we are anticipating a long slow hike up the trail. See you all there.:)

Hi,
Just go for it. You don't have to go fast, just have fun and enjoy the trip.

geek

stranger
05-03-2011, 20:20
You know, call me crazy, but I actually want to start early enough that I can make it through some snow storms and bad weather. Out here everything is so ridiculously tame that starting in late April would almost make it a letdown.

I bet I regret this decision next march. :p

Cold and snow are cool, don't get me wrong. I used to be a snowshoeing junkie back in the lat 90's, loved it...bivying on the side of a mountain in 6 below, waking up covered in powder, nothing like it! Especially when you know a hot shower is only 36 hours away.

But...long distance hiking is demanding enough as it is, combining that with extended periods of cold weather, the potential for deep snow, and the shorter daylight hours adds another element that does not need to be there, unless you want it to be.

Switchback2012
05-06-2011, 21:42
I'm planning on starting mid-april, one because I don't want to hike in too cold weather call me a wimp - I want to avoid slogging through too much snow. Yes, I realize you can still get snow in April - just not as much (hopefully). And more importantly - my son turns 16 and I want to celebrate his birthday before I hit the trail!

stranger
05-10-2011, 03:49
Perfect time to leave as far as I'm concerned...lovely time.

Montana Mac
05-10-2011, 11:53

Not necessarily true - I left March 4th and took my first zero in Damascus (a planned zero day) and it snowed! Didn't change my plans, I hiked out in the snow and took my next zero in Connecticut. Snow may be an excuse to stay in town but is not a cause to do so. :rolleyes:

Bearpaw
05-10-2011, 14:31
Folks have been starting around the first day of Spring (March 20) for decades. It's sort of traditional.

scope
05-10-2011, 14:58
Among the other reasons presented to start earlier, I would also add that gear has changed to become more flexible and less bulky/weighty, so that one could start earlier in the cold with gear that can take them a long way until it gets too warm.

stranger
05-11-2011, 19:57
Not necessarily true - I left March 4th and took my first zero in Damascus (a planned zero day) and it snowed! Didn't change my plans, I hiked out in the snow and took my next zero in Connecticut. Snow may be an excuse to stay in town but is not a cause to do so. :rolleyes:

Yes, my point is true, is it always true for 100% of hikers along the Appalachian Trail...of course not. Life ain't black and while comrade.

My obsevations are based on my personal experiences, and the experiences of hundreds of other hikers I've met and hiked with, across a number of hikes, during a number of different years, 1995, 2001, 2008...

And let's be honest here...your first zero in Damascus and second one in CT is a very, very uncommon scenario. Most hikers, MOST (not you clearly), would take two zeros before reaching the Smokies or Hot Springs. Some might take two zeros before getting out of Georgia.

All things equal...a hiker who leaves March 1st will spend more time in town and spend more money than a hiker who leaves April 15th. Generally speaking, sure their are exceptions, there always is.

T-Dubs
05-11-2011, 20:18
I'm planning on starting mid-april, one because I don't want to hike in too cold weather call me a wimp - I want to avoid slogging through too much snow. Yes, I realize you can still get snow in April - just not as much (hopefully). And more importantly - my son turns 16 and I want to celebrate his birthday before I hit the trail!

I'd like to start around this time, too. My wife has an April birthday that we'll celebrate before I head out.

Myakka Mules
06-03-2011, 22:38
The wife and I both have April birthdays, but we will be celebrating our next birthdays on the trail as we are starting March 15th. We want to have the time to enjoy the trail, visit some historical locations along the trail (Civil War and Revolutionary Wars). I expect if we find ourselves moving along the trail to quickly we will slow down and take in a little more of what the trail has to offer.

Fireweed
08-15-2011, 01:03
I agree. Northbound doesn't appeal to me. I'm planning for a sobo.

HiKen2011
08-15-2011, 01:54
If I make another attempt I'll start as early as I feel I can based on long range weather reports, maybe Feb. I don't mind cold weather and some snow (3-6 inches) but I HATE the heat and humidity!

peakbagger
08-15-2011, 07:42
Your time to start should be set up so you hit NH and ME in late mid to late August so you get to experience ME in September. The weather and view are much better once things cool down a bit and bugs are very rare. The folsk who come throuhg the whites in July usually enbd up with hot humid hazy days. The other thing about September is the woods clear out, the number of folks overnighting become minimal, excpet weekends, so the the only folks in the ME woods are thruhikers.

Stir Fry
08-15-2011, 08:29
Planing to Thru in 2014. I used to think I would start in early March. But after doing Springer to Fontana section in early March, late March and April. I have decided late March or eaarly April is a better start at least for me. Weather is just to unpredictable in early March. Three to four weeks makes a big difference.

shattercat
09-03-2011, 19:10
My opinion is that the perfect start date would be July 1st from Baxter State Park.

I don't think I'd ever consider a NOBO thru.

i was planning on june 1st for next year, the first day baxter opens. why july 1st for the perfect start?

silverscuba22
09-04-2011, 19:34
Planing to Thru in 2014. .

Dont you know that we are all going to die in dec 2012 ?? better move up that thur-hike date lol

Terry7
09-05-2011, 08:59
If you want to get to get into Damascus for Trail Days then start the first week of April.

4eyedbuzzard
09-05-2011, 09:21
i was planning on june 1st for next year, the first day baxter opens. why july 1st for the perfect start?June 1 could be a muddy, wet, buggy start. It all depends upon how the spring melt goes (and the snowpack and late spring storms). The streams could still be raging, trail really muddy, blowdowns not cleared, black fly hatch peaking, etc. Mid June would be the earliest I would think of going to ME. Worst flies I've ever seen have been in mid June in the Whites. So thick they were in your eyes, ears, everywhere - and you breathed them in. Stay flexible on start dates if you're planning a SOBO. Get trail condition reports from Mainers here or other websites. Let nature make the call.