PDA

View Full Version : Gary Hilton Today

Ron Haven
04-28-2011, 01:30
I read in the local newspaper that Gary Hilton was handed down the death sentence for the Florida Trail murder. I don't know whether or not they will bring him back to NC for the John & Irene Bryant murders.

Ms Bryant was found dead in the Pisgah National Forest after missing a few days. Later that year Mr Bryant's body was found about a mile from the Rock Gap Shelter near Franklin. This is still an open case here.

jesse
04-28-2011, 04:00
Thanks for update. Do they need any volunteers to pull the switch?

Sierra Echo
04-28-2011, 06:40
They aren't going to take him back to NC for those murders. They don't have enough evidence and right now they got him right where they want him~!

Montana Mac
04-28-2011, 08:01
They aren't going to take him back to NC for those murders. They don't have enough evidence and right now they got him right where they want him~!

Not quite - he is still breathing valuable air :mad:

double d
04-28-2011, 11:36
Capital cases are very expensive for any judicial system to carry out and since he has a life sentence in Fla., I wouldn't think that NC would give him a trial. But remember, based on his murder charges, he can always be brought to NC to stand trial, if need be. Certainly an evil guy who took the lives of very good and loving people.

Entropy2012
04-28-2011, 11:40
What do these people actually think is going to happen? That the police will just turn a blind eye and let them waltz away?

Sure, I get that they're completely whacked in the head, but I mean seeeriously? It doesn't take much to realise that rotting in jail till you die is a bit uh... disproportionate to whatever sick satisfaction they get from killing? :confused:

Trailweaver
04-28-2011, 12:28
He got the life sentence in GA,in exchange for telling the authorities where Meredith Emerson's body could be found. He got the death sentence in FL as the authorities there had already found the body and didn't need his cooperation.

In any case, at his age, he will probably not live long enough to actually be put to death, as it takes years of winding its way through the appeals courts to actually come to the day. Sad irony isn't it? It is my understanding that being on death row isn't a picnic - they are housed in a 10x20 foot cell (more or less) in isolation 24/7 and allowed out for one hour a day to exercise. I should think that would be worse than death, but still, I wish we could save taxpayers all the money it costs to house a criminal.

Panzer1
04-28-2011, 13:04
an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.

Panzer

Mizirlou
04-28-2011, 13:06
His new name is #133897.

Final Destination
http://www.dc.state.fl.us/ActiveInmates/detail.asp?Bookmark=1&From=list&SessionID=10336634

Death Row Fact Sheet
http://www.dc.state.fl.us/oth/deathrow/

10-K
04-28-2011, 13:18
His new name is #133897.

Final Destination
http://www.dc.state.fl.us/ActiveInmates/detail.asp?Bookmark=1&From=list&SessionID=10336634

Death Row Fact Sheet
http://www.dc.state.fl.us/oth/deathrow/

After looking at those 2 links one thing is apparent: If you murder somebody in Duval County look out....

Panzer1
04-28-2011, 13:19
A Death Row cell is 6 x 9 x 9.5 feet high.

according to the FL death row fact sheet.

Panzer

Mizirlou
04-28-2011, 13:41
Clarification on the cell:
6’ x 9’ x 9.5’ high with NO AIR CONDITIONING
The weather today at FL State Prison in Starke is a muggy 88 degrees with thunderstorms. Forecast next week in the 90s.

Lilred
04-28-2011, 17:06
I hope there are no windows

wrongway_08
04-28-2011, 20:16
No windows and the roof should be 3" thick glass - so the sun will multiply the heat and burn him like an ant!

Panzer1
04-28-2011, 23:33
No windows and the roof should be 3" thick glass - so the sun will multiply the heat and burn him like an ant!

you mean "...burn him like a TICK"

Panzer

orangebug
04-29-2011, 08:32
Usually costs far more money to execute/house a person on death row than to keep as an LWOP. At least the state of GA doesn't have to provide superMax care for him. I would suspect that his desire for being in control and to have open access to wilderness will meet a difficult conclusion for him.

John B
04-29-2011, 08:58
The FL death row webpage says that the average stay at their hostel before execution is 12.6 years.

Smile
04-29-2011, 09:58
Can't believe our taxpayer dollars are still feeding this guy.

Ron Haven
04-29-2011, 23:40
He got the life sentence in GA,in exchange for telling the authorities where Meredith Emerson's body could be found. He got the death sentence in FL as the authorities there had already found the body and didn't need his cooperation.

In any case, at his age, he will probably not live long enough to actually be put to death, as it takes years of winding its way through the appeals courts to actually come to the day. Sad irony isn't it? It is my understanding that being on death row isn't a picnic - they are housed in a 10x20 foot cell (more or less) in isolation 24/7 and allowed out for one hour a day to exercise. I should think that would be worse than death, but still, I wish we could save taxpayers all the money it costs to house a criminal.

I have hiked with attorney Rob McNeel who was his Georgia court appointed lawyer. Rob said that was the worst trial he ever had to work as much as the trail meant to him.

Trailweaver
04-30-2011, 00:58
I believe it. No attorney I know reallllly wants to do homicide case that is appointed.

Captn
04-30-2011, 21:04
Thanks for update. Do they need any volunteers to pull the switch?

I'd be glad to ride a bike to power the generator to provide the current so you can pull that switch.

Skidsteer
04-30-2011, 21:42
Usually costs far more money to execute/house a person on death row than to keep as an LWOP.

That's easily remedied.

Death sentences are carried out within 7 days unless an appeal is filed.

Attorneys willing to file an appeal for a convicted murderer agree to provide lodging for the felon in their home for the duration of the appeals process.

jbsbestfan
04-30-2011, 22:39
As much as I love hiking in NC, I am sorry to say that to try this idiot in NC would be a total waste. They didnt even give that big fat SOB that killed State Trooper Shawn Blanton the death penalty. The dude just shot the trooper who stopped him and people saw it on the interstate.....How does this not get the death penalty? That is why I was glad to see them trying Hilton in Florida. A trial in NC would definitely be a waste of time and money even if they had the evidence. The Florida justice actually has some teeth.

WingedMonkey
04-30-2011, 23:04
Not to lessen the loss of Meredith Emerson which was tragic, but the reason Gary Hilton is on Death Row in Florida is because of the murder of Cheryl Dunlap. Cheryl was also an active outdoors woman. Her abduction was from the trails at Leon Sinks Geological Area and her body was dumped in Apalachicola National Forest. Her life should be remembered as much as Hilton's death.

Mizirlou
05-01-2011, 08:56
...the reason Gary Hilton is on Death Row in Florida is because of the murder of Cheryl Dunlap...Her life should be remembered as much as Hilton's death.

Meredith Emerson and Cheryl Dunlap are eternally united by the outcome:
FL used the GA murder case as an “aggravating factor to seek the death penalty,” according to news accounts.

Inmate #133897’s eternal destination = Inferno.

In Memory of Cheryl Dunlap
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY4Rl1yiTWA
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY4Rl1yiTWA)

Ladytrekker
08-26-2011, 21:26
The story is on Dateline NBC right now not sure if this is a repeat but they are telling the story of Hilton's deadly spree. Was not sure of whether to post this but I know alot of people on here have followed this story.

gumball
08-26-2011, 22:21
Deleted post.

ScottP
08-26-2011, 22:35
That's easily remedied.

Death sentences are carried out within 7 days unless an appeal is filed.

Attorneys willing to file an appeal for a convicted murderer agree to provide lodging for the felon in their home for the duration of the appeals process.

a biased but reputable source

http://www.amnestyusa.org/our-work/issues/death-penalty/us-death-penalty-facts/death-penalty-cost