PDA

View Full Version : MSR HyperFlow Microfilter

hawkeye
04-28-2011, 10:36
Hi, I read some of the older posts and wonder is the Hyperflow any better today? Did the new filter fix it?
Thanks,
Greg

88BlueGT
04-28-2011, 11:50
Supposedly, they fixed alot of the bugs with the hyperflow. I picked one up about 2 weeks ago and has been fine (granted I only used it once). I have tested it a few times with great results.

Berserker
04-28-2011, 11:58
In my opinion and experience it does not work as advertised. You can read up more on it here: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45798. I would definitely recommend clicking on the link in one of my posts in that thread that will take you to a review done on the filter by BPL. They proved that the technology just doesn't work properly unless you are always filtering crytstal clear water. So that's my story and I'm sticking to it...maybe you'll get one and it will work for you. I myself have moved on to greener pastures.

hikingshoes
04-28-2011, 12:11
I have one (with new filter) and it work's great for me. I've use it on two section hikes on the AT, Big hill pond state park(3-4x), and 2x at Sipsey Wilderness in AL.
I did have problems at first, but after replacing the filter it work great. I've even used it in 17deg weather and it work really well. Hope this helps..HS

jbwood5
06-14-2011, 09:44
They will still replace the older style filter that tends to be restrictive for free. I called yesterday, gave them the date code on my filter, and they said they will send me a new filter.

When they work, they are great. When they clog..... well you better have some backup tablets.

I think it goes without saying. If you filter, bring some water treatment tablets.

squeezebox
06-14-2011, 10:16
So are the new filter hollow tube or ceramic.
dialysis nurses do not back flush their filters they throw them away. apparently hollow tube just does nor clean well.
I would like to buy a filter soon
Suggestions??

Blissful
06-14-2011, 12:54
No need for a filter on the AT. Aqua mira works fine (use maps to avoid beaver ponds and pasturelands). I have seen more than one hiker ditch their filter when it broke.

jbwood5
06-14-2011, 13:43
No need for a filter on the AT. Aqua mira works fine (use maps to avoid beaver ponds and pasturelands). I have seen more than one hiker ditch their filter when it broke.

I have had some water issues at times once you get past NJ and you're on the ridges above Greenwood Lake NY. On a hot day, I'm looking for any possible trickle to suck up water into the filter.

Perhaps on a normal year no filter would be required, but a few times I'm glad I had one. Summertime and Fall hiking can find you with a lot of dried out springs.

FamilyGuy
06-14-2011, 13:58
I would recommend getting the Hiker Pro. 11oz on my scale, easier field maintenance, the carbon element takes any bad taste out of the water (the Hyperflow won't), and it is proven. Cheaper too.

Dobie Swift
06-14-2011, 14:11
I have a Hiker Pro. I got a Hyperflow for Fathers Day last year. My first 2 trips with the Hyperflow were overnighters and I was thrilled. On my first 3 day trip, the Hyperflow hopelessly clogged even though I followed the backflushing guidelines. I called MSR, read them the date code, and they graciously sent me a replacement element. I got exactly the same results from the replacement element. I decided to give the Hyperflow one more shot this spring and purchased a brand new element for a 4-night trip. By the last day, I could hardly pump water through it.

I plan on carrying my Hiker Pro for my Erwin to Damascus section coming up in two weeks.