PDA

View Full Version : Hiker Svcs in Franklin, NC

cbhillier
04-28-2011, 11:09
Had great experience staying at Microtel. Folks at Three Eagles Outfitters were AWESOME. Even gave me a ride to/from the post office. AYCE pizza and salad bar at the Fun Factory is a good deal.

IMO, Ron Haven is shady. He tries too hard to make money off hikers. Watch your back when dealing with him - I had a bad experience.

Wolverine
NOBO Thru-hiker

Pete Moss
04-28-2011, 11:19
First, Glad you had fun in Franklin!

Second, you are entitled to your opinions. Only in a perfect world will everybody like everybody. But, to come on here and call someone shady without any back up is just being a troll. Share you story and you may get some support, and if Ron did you wrong, he's a big man and on here quite a bit and would more than likely apologize.

But since we are JUST throwing out opinions, here mine. I think you should look at yourself before you point fingers. Ron is in business to make money... that's why its called a business and not a volunteer service, although I think he goes above and beyond what he should in alot of cases.

Again, provide back up to your claims or your just trolling.

kanga
04-28-2011, 11:27
Are you serious? You must have completely lost your mind. Ron Haven is one of the kindest, most honest people God ever put on this planet. He has driven up to winding stair in whiteout conditions to rescue hikers, put people up in his motels when they are down on their luck, and finds homeless families in his community and sticks with them until they are back on their feet. This i have seen with my own two eyes. I am HONORED and blessed beyond compare to be able to call him friend. And you, sir, are nothing but trolling trash.

Roots
04-28-2011, 11:30
Had great experience staying at Microtel. Folks at Three Eagles Outfitters were AWESOME. Even gave me a ride to/from the post office. AYCE pizza and salad bar at the Fun Factory is a good deal.

IMO, Ron Haven is shady. He tries too hard to make money off hikers. Watch your back when dealing with him - I had a bad experience.

Wolverine
NOBO Thru-hiker

Coming on here and bad mouthing Ron Haven is NOT a good idea. If you had any idea of who you were talking about you would have never included shady in a sentence with Ron Haven.

Good for you that your experience was a good one in Franklin, but to come on here with no back up...explaining yourself as to why Ron is shady...leaves me to believe you have no clue what you are talking about.

Explain....ooo....and be warned for the arse chewing you are about to receive due to your snide comments!!!!!

gungho
04-28-2011, 11:35
Are you serious? You must have completely lost your mind. Ron Haven is one of the kindest, most honest people God ever put on this planet. He has driven up to winding stair in whiteout conditions to rescue hikers, put people up in his motels when they are down on their luck, and finds homeless families in his community and sticks with them until they are back on their feet. This i have seen with my own two eyes. I am HONORED and blessed beyond compare to be able to call him friend. And you, sir, are nothing but trolling trash.

yeah.............what she said.......somebody has fed you bull**** for dinner

gungho
04-28-2011, 11:37

Wolverine
NOBO Thru-hiker

wow.....you really know how to make an entrance....go crawl back under the rock you came from

Lugnut
04-28-2011, 11:41
It will take a lot more than one disgruntled moron's opinion to damage Ron Haven's reputation. :mad:

sizemj
04-28-2011, 11:42
I have used Ron as a shuttle once. I did not find him shady. I can tell you he is full of stories. He used to be a pro wrestler (honestly). I called him for a shuttle and he said that he could do it but it would be cheaper if I called the Hike Inn. I thought that was pretty nice. Again he is trying to make a living.

Roots
04-28-2011, 11:48

Wolverine
NOBO Thru-hiker

this statement alone tells me how clueless you are about what Ron does for hikers. Free shuttles from Winding stair to Franklin, around town, and charging hiker motel rates. What else do you want? Ron is a friend of mine and I, too, like Kanga am honored to have him in my life as a friend.

Elder
04-28-2011, 11:57
Git him Girls!
What Kanga and Roots said!

Although I do agree Three Eagles is Great too.

WingedMonkey
04-28-2011, 12:33
Must be a confused thru hiker, if you are one. You posted this in the Hiker Services "Georgia". Did you miss the state line?

sheepdog
04-28-2011, 12:59
Ron Haven Rocks!!

D'Artagnan
04-28-2011, 13:24
First post and this is the best you can come here with? Don't try peeing on my leg and telling me it's raining. I smell a sock puppet.

Desert Reprobate
04-28-2011, 13:43
You didn't by any chance ride with Ron in a red pickup at Dick's Creek near Hiawassee did you?

Gray Blazer
04-28-2011, 14:01
You must be talking about a different Ron Haven than the one we know.

I don't know you, but you are prolly the shady one trying to get over on others. Won't work here.

cowpoke
04-28-2011, 16:07
Not my experience...I've used Ron's shuttle/motel several times....all with good experience...Ron was always helpful and went the extra mile to help.

woodsy
04-28-2011, 16:07
Someone needs to pee on the OP's leg, ASAFP

Skidsteer
04-28-2011, 16:21
You didn't by any chance ride with Ron in a red pickup at Dick's Creek near Hiawassee did you?

Good question.

Very good question.

To the op; Ron Haven is a friend I'd trust with my life and I don't say that lightly.

Vague, drive-by accusations like your(first ever)post don't really influence people very much or cause them to form any bad opinions of anyone but you.

woodsy
04-28-2011, 16:55
Vague, drive-by accusations like your(first ever)post don't really influence people very much or cause them to form any bad opinions of anyone but you.

Probably one of them hikers looking for everything for free :rolleyes:

Lugnut
04-28-2011, 17:06

I think I see where you're going with this. Could explain it. :-?

Cookerhiker
04-28-2011, 17:32
Another Ron Haven fan here. I can't imagine Ron being "shady" in the slightest! He's much more of a giver than a taker.

pfann
04-28-2011, 17:35
I had a very good experience dealing with Ron Haven this past month on my relay hike that I ended in Franklin. He seemed like a very good man, and I disagree with the OP. I will deal with Ron again next time I am in Franklin. Wonderful experience.

The op, however, has been called-"troll, trolling trash, snide, disgruntled moron, clueless, sock puppet" among other things.

When all of you trash the op much the way in which he trashed Ron Haven, you have stooped to his level and this doesn't help your arguments that otherwise have merit.

And no, I don't know the OP. He is obviously mistaken or misinformed. Hopefully he can get his mind right with some rational dialogue here.

-pfann

Lugnut
04-28-2011, 17:58
He may have met the "wrong" Ron Haven. The real Ron would bend over backwards to help anyone, hiker or not.

bulldog49
04-28-2011, 18:08

Wolverine
NOBO Thru-hiker

I believe you should provide details of your "bad" experience, and describe the individual you believe was Ron Haven.

Bearpaw
04-28-2011, 18:32
Ron has done more to help hikers in the Franklin area than any body else. The only folks I know who have any thing bad to say are people who tried to get something for nothing and Ron called them on it.

You weren't by chance the guy whose pack got a hole chewed in it by a mouse at a Georgia shelter, then tried to pass off the story that a mouse in the Budget Inn did the damage, are you?

I'm sure that guy didn't care for Ron either. The rest of us really appreciate the man for everything he does.

J5man
04-28-2011, 18:32
Hey everyone, I have figured this out. The poster is really our friend Ron's wife (Hi Marcia!). Ron must have done something to tick her off and she is just getting him back! haha. Seriously, dude you are certainly entitled to your opinion but coming on here and saying something bad, without substantiation, about Ron, is like going to the Vatican and talking badly about the Pope.

woodsy
04-28-2011, 18:42
I think the OP should provide his trailname so that all the other trail providers/lodging people know
he/she is on the way ! :p

kanga
04-28-2011, 19:44

Wolverine
NOBO Thru-hiker

I think the OP should provide his trailname so that all the other trail providers/lodging people know
he/she is on the way ! :p

um.. woodsy? you feelin okay?

gungho
04-28-2011, 20:02
um.. woodsy? you feelin okay?
well...........he's always been a little slow

Monkeyboy
04-28-2011, 20:12
I've never met a finer man on or off the trail.

Gray Blazer
04-28-2011, 20:41
The op, however, has been called-"troll, trolling trash, snide, disgruntled moron, clueless, sock puppet" among other things.

When all of you trash the op much the way in which he trashed Ron Haven, you have stooped to his level and this doesn't help your arguments that otherwise have merit.

He is also a butt-wipe.

Skidsteer
04-28-2011, 20:43
Snicker. :D

Nearly Normal
04-28-2011, 21:54
IMO, Ron Haven is shady. He tries too hard to make money off hikers. Watch your back when dealing with him

Thems fightin words!

pfann
04-29-2011, 20:19
He is also a butt-wipe.

I gotta admit, this one made me laugh out loud! :D

Gray Blazer
04-29-2011, 22:48
And I didn't even have an argument of merit.

I got touchy that someone would come on here and bad mouth Ron Haven. Ron Haven is a blessing to hikers and everyone else.

Ron Haven
04-29-2011, 23:28
Thanks friends for the back up. Maybe he will come thru with the truth. As all of you know I make an announcement of services available on the way into town. I even say this ride is free whether you stay in my motels are not. Not just new stuff, it has always been that way.

As we got into town he demanded for me to take him to 3 eagles. I told him I made that run at 4pm. He kept acting like a little spoiles kid saying " I'm not staying in town, I just want my drop box at 3 eagles". I told him gas wasn't free. I go at 4pm.

He said" what if I pay you? Ok, give me $10 and I take you to 3 eagles. Maybe he don't realize gas is almost $4 a gallon here, plus time, When we get there he jumps out and only had $5.

I love it when a plan comes together. I thought it was just those 2 hikers in front of 3 eagles saw how he was acting but he announced it to the whole hiker world 'HERE' all by his self.

PS: if 3 eagles took him to the post office, I wonder why I saw him walking out Depot Street to the post office later in the day with his pack. Hmm, seems odd. Maybe he went back to the Microtel later.

he will be ok, it just take a little longer for some than it does others. :dance

Elder
04-29-2011, 23:33
Ron, you continue to be a generous man.

Ron Haven
04-29-2011, 23:34
Alligator, please don't close this thread. I don't mind him bashing me some. Personally, I think it is funny...:D

WingedMonkey
04-29-2011, 23:39
Alligator, please don't close this thread. I don't mind him bashing me some. Personally, I think it is funny...:D

I figured you were having a chuckle all day.
:sun

Hoop
04-30-2011, 10:09
A couple of years ago at the April Fool thing RH refunded our money ($10?) without question when another guy and I told him that most of the food was gone as we approached the serving line, shovels in hand. Poor timing on our part, we shoulda got there earlier. Standup guy.

rambunny
04-30-2011, 10:31
If you were the 100th hiker looking for everything for free and when you want it- i would imagine that you got a chilly reception. Ron's reputation is steller-Look in the mirror and ask yourself am i entitled to ,magic&free,just because i chose to hike the AT. If so go home.

Red Hat
04-30-2011, 12:27
Ron, I figured he was one of the ones who try to take advantage of your generosity, then complain when you refuse.

Folks, Ron goes out of his way to help hikers, but ridiculous requests, such as special private shuttles for free, are uncalled for. He has scheduled free shuttles. If they don't match your schedule, so sorry.. What other town even offers scheduled free shuttles?

Lone Wolf
05-01-2011, 13:48
i'm so glad i have nothing to do with hikers.

Gray Blazer
05-01-2011, 20:16
Hikers are butt-wipes ... wait a minute ... I'm a hiker ... :mad:

tennesseered
05-22-2011, 15:45
ron haven is the man , super nice guy regardless of his intentions, takes care of hikers despite trying to make money off them too. the at needs ron haven he provides us a few key services in the south

cbhillier
05-22-2011, 19:47
I understand that many hikers have good things to say about Ron Haven. I also understand that he is a sponsor of this site. Lots of people have had good experiences with him. I did not. That's all. Hence the letters 'IMO' before my comments. I thought forums like this were to share both good and bad experiences.

Not trolling, either. For those of you starved for details, here's what happened: I double-timed it to be at Winding Stair Gap by 9AM. Ron shows up at 10. I ask him if he'll take me to 3 Eagles. Right away, he wants to know where I'm staying and offers to take me to his Budgetel. I'm okay with that - he's a business man. I tell him I don't know where I'm staying but (again) can he take me to 3 Eagles. He says okay. Once I'm in the van he starts going on about how it's "way out of the way" and it's going to "throw off his whole schedule" and I'm gonna have to pay him $10. Honestly, I have no problem with paying but just tell me before I get in. Either say "No, I can't take you" or " Yes but it will be $10". Anything else nis, well, shady. Once we get there, I hold out a $20 and he says "I don't have change" and snatches - and I mean snatches - a $5 bill out of my other hand and says "but I'll take this if that's all you got".

It was a bad experience. I blogged about it on an open forum. Nuff said.

I haven't responded or posted anything else cause I been hikin!

Posting it under 'Georgia' was a mistake. Sorry.

kanga
05-22-2011, 19:56
you are full of ****. ron haven does not act that way.

general
05-22-2011, 20:14
I understand that many hikers have good things to say about Ron Haven. I also understand that he is a sponsor of this site. Lots of people have had good experiences with him. I did not. That's all. Hence the letters 'IMO' before my comments. I thought forums like this were to share both good and bad experiences.

Not trolling, either. For those of you starved for details, here's what happened: I double-timed it to be at Winding Stair Gap by 9AM. Ron shows up at 10. I ask him if he'll take me to 3 Eagles. Right away, he wants to know where I'm staying and offers to take me to his Budgetel. I'm okay with that - he's a business man. I tell him I don't know where I'm staying but (again) can he take me to 3 Eagles. He says okay. Once I'm in the van he starts going on about how it's "way out of the way" and it's going to "throw off his whole schedule" and I'm gonna have to pay him $10. Honestly, I have no problem with paying but just tell me before I get in. Either say "No, I can't take you" or " Yes but it will be $10". Anything else nis, well, shady. Once we get there, I hold out a $20 and he says "I don't have change" and snatches - and I mean snatches - a $5 bill out of my other hand and says "but I'll take this if that's all you got".

if that's what you got, you must have been a real ass to get it.

solace
05-22-2011, 20:17
WOLVERINE..... Indeed.... you have a right to your opinion... Franklin is early on in your hike... and as you progress, Indeed you will meet/come across other folks who will be able to shuttle you to places of need. AT the end of your hike, id like you to HONESTLY compare your experience in Franklin to the many other you will have! How may folks will pick you up over 2,100 + miles for NOTHING and "shuttle" you around!?! NOT MANY... esp if you are/were demanding!?! in 2004, my 1st attempt thru-hike, KTR & I met Ron at the now-defunct Rainbow Springs campground, he offered us a ride to town and asked for NOTHING, I admired Ron & watched his generosity towards fellow hikers. Yes, at times he would collect gas money (do you know of ANY free gas out there???) from those who offered, and those who had no fund$ he just asked to help others when they could. For the past 5 of 6 years I have returned to Franklin each spring to VOLUNTEER 2-3 weeks and shuttle hikers 9-12 hrs a day! LET ME TELL YOU, HALF THE HIKERS ARE DEMANDING, WANT A FREE RIDE ON THEIR TIME AND GET TICKED WHEN THEY CANT GET A RIDE BACK UP TO WINDING STAIR GAP IMMEDIATELY! Ron has done nothing but help hikers... I cant begin to tell you of the 2-3 am Emergency calls where a hiker has been hurt and Ron has driven DEEP into the woods on dirt roads to get them, bring them to the hospital, ASK FOR NOTHING, and then start at 6am shuttling! PLEASE GET TO KNOW SOMEONE BEFORE YOU DECIDE TO SHARE YOUR OPINION. As you can read, Ron has many friends, and each of us are grateful for this great man. There are many a hiker who would have quit w/o his help. AND BEFORE YOU TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT RON HAVEN... TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT YOURSELF..... spend a few weeks shuttling hikers next season to give back! I do hope you reach Katahdin... I just hope you reach it the right way :) Cheers, SOLACE ~

bigmac_in
05-22-2011, 20:18

you are full of ****. ron haven does not act that way.

I agree with Kanga - anyone that knows Ronnie, also knows you have made up a large portion of that story. Go crawl in a hole.

Skidsteer
05-22-2011, 20:18
You're a liar.

You got a ten dollar shuttle for five dollars and you act like a little bitch about it?

mweinstone
05-22-2011, 21:14
one time
when i was in franklin
ron was comming down the road in his schoolbus
and he farted

another time
when ron was in winding stair gap
and i was there
he blew his nose

i heard he burps as well
this is why im bloging about it here
i just thaught it was the right place

i know ron loves hikers
no one acts like him if they didnt
they would hold it in

rons the best
to me

gungho
05-22-2011, 21:24

you are such a whiney little bastrad arent ya........it is demanding entitiled s.o.b's like yourself that give all thrus a bad name....no way did that happen the way you desrcibed it

Trailweaver
05-23-2011, 00:42
I'm due to meet Ron on my next hike out and I've been looking forward to meeting him for some time. I've never, ever heard a bad thing about him from any source, and I think that says quite a bit about someone right there. You just cannot come on a public forum and trash someone like that because you didn't have a good day.

J5man
05-23-2011, 09:19
Ron didn't have change for a twenty? That's how we all know you made this up!

Razor
05-23-2011, 09:51
By now Wolverine ,you realize that your opinion ,is not accepted,not wanted, and especially not respected. There is no set of facts that could support your story. Please do not continue to respond and just go away!

Bearpaw
05-23-2011, 18:22
Don't be surprised when you get a cold reception from other business owners along the trail. Your reputation for trying to smear someone like Ron is going to precede you much of the way up the trail.

kanga
05-23-2011, 19:16
Don't be surprised when you get a cold reception from other business owners along the trail. Your reputation for trying to smear someone like Ron is going to precede you much of the way up the trail.

in fact, i think i'm going to blog about it. on fb.:sun

Red Hat
05-24-2011, 08:29
in fact, i think i'm going to blog about it. on fb.:sun

Thanks Kanga! When this girl says she'll do something, you can bet on it.

Hooch
05-24-2011, 08:39

Posting it under 'Georgia' was a mistake. Sorry.Funny, myself and a few friends heard Ron's version of events at Trail Days. I'm a lot more likely to believe the words of a man I know (Ron) and trust over a bold faced liar (Not Ron).