PDA

View Full Version : Good news for Drug Addicts.

Pedaling Fool
04-28-2011, 15:58
Here's a bit of "good news" for users/believers in OTC medications. Although the article is a little lacking in info and I have NOT looked further into it. http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/training-fitness/cycling-training-tips-over-counter-strength?cm_mmc=BicyclingNL-_-04282011-_-trainingandnutrition-_-cycling_training_tips_over_the_counter_strength

"Taking recommended doses of ibuprofen and acetaminophen boosts strength and muscle growth when paired with a simple strength program, according to Ball State University researchers. The study, conducted by the Human Performance Lab at Ball State University, followed thirty-six men and women, aged 60-78, through three months of strength training. Subjects performed 15-20 minute sessions three times per week with a daily placebo or manufacturer's recommended dose of ibuprofen or acetaminophen.

After three months, the volunteers' quadriceps were measured for size and strength. Those taking ibuprofen had 22 percent more volume and were 30 percent strong than the placebo group. People taking the acetaminophen had 44 percent more volume and were 22 percent stronger. The results took researchers by surprise, as a previous one-day study had indicated pain relievers may impinge muscle growth.

It appears that continued consumption of the pain relievers enhances the metabolic response of muscles to strength training, explained Todd Trappe, Ph.D. In short, Aspirin and Advil could boost your strength and muscle growth after hitting the gym.

A previous, one-day study had found the opposite effect in younger subjects. However, one possible explanation offered by the researchers for the new study's findings is that the body may overreact to the negative effects of pain relievers. Further study is needed to confirm the effects on younger groups, but taking over the counter pain relievers like Advil (ibuprofen) and Tylenol (acetaminophen) could give you the most out of your strength sessions."

Happy day for the drug dealers:)

hikerboy57
04-28-2011, 16:04
there are reports out that say the new placebos are much more effective than the older ones.
Personally, Ive always found Ibuprofen to work better than tylenol(which can cause liver damage if taken in large doses)

Rick500
04-28-2011, 16:10
Ibuprofen and acetaminophen both have their pros and cons. I was recently being considered as a kidney donor and was asked to stop taking all pain relievers except acetaminophen, because ibuprofen can cause kidney damage.

So choose your favorite organ, I guess, when deciding between ibuprofen and Tylenol. :)

WingedMonkey
04-28-2011, 16:10
Does the study say how much muscle growth I get from taking vitamin I on days I'm stuck in a chair doing computer work between bike rides or hikes?

:sun

Mizirlou
04-28-2011, 16:29
Does the study say how much muscle growth I get from taking vitamin I on days I'm stuck in a chair doing computer work between bike rides or hikes?

Nope, but it can cause sudden cardiac death. The immortal young ‘uns may relate better to the swelling it causes. All those reports of hikers needing to switch out to a larger sized shoe make me wonder if they should lay off the Vitamin I instead.

Dogwood
04-28-2011, 20:08
There are more holes in that limited study than my last backpack!

Was it double blind? Another, excuse for popping more over the counter pain relievers! 36 cases, 1/2 or about 18 taking a placebo, and 1/2 or about 18 taking ibuprofen or acetaminophen in a narrow specific age group! Too early to jump on that supposedly muscle buliding bandwagon!

Dogwood
04-28-2011, 20:10
Liked the title of the thread though. I'm sure the content surprised some!