PDA

View Full Version : New Hiker

Quiescence Farm
04-28-2011, 21:20
I am just being to plan my hike. I will be on the trail for 1 month in the spring of 2012. I am older with a slight handicap and can not carry a large pack, so I would like to use a pack goat. I read the Dog article and am very attentive to my animals and have a service dog in training at home now and fully understand the attention it takes to have an animal assist you to accomplish your goals. Am just looking for a beginning response from people as to how the goat will be accepted. :-?

Shooting Star
04-28-2011, 21:47
If you load the goat up with some beer and pass some around
to the hikers you meet, then I suspect the goat will be more
than welcome.

J5man
04-28-2011, 21:59
It will probably smell better than most of the hikers you come across too.

Storm
04-28-2011, 22:01
You may be taking a risk. Some people like goat meat.

Shooting Star
04-28-2011, 22:04
Seriously though - has anyone ever used a pack goat
on the AT?

Sierra Echo
04-28-2011, 22:05
Pack animals aren't allowed on the AT:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/hiking-basics/regulations-permits

fiddlehead
04-28-2011, 22:09
PCT would be OK.
I've seen people using them there.
They were carrying whole potatoes and a frying pan and things like that.
Or try the Wonderland trail or something shorter.
Out west, pack animals are the old fashioned (traditional) way to travel.

mweinstone
04-28-2011, 22:13
high luke! im thrilled your back. and no way they can acuse you of being minne. wow. i finally have my whiteblaze brother back. welcome back minne. its been too long. kick back, put up your trunks and set a spell. we got goat to cook.

now, first id like to introduce everyone to a goat recipie thats just plum ,..well...peachy!
work the goat hard on his last packday. his sweat cleans him. after peeling and cooking, try some seasoned salad dressing on him. i use thousand island with extra garlic and dip goaty in on a kabob i carry just for it. now. most goatfolk roast him slow but i like burnt thru and thru. are you going to have the dogs along?

mweinstone
04-28-2011, 22:21
missclaimer: any and all goats brought to our appalachian trail by unawares hikers need to be confiscated by other matthewskilike hikers and atened quickly to prevent arrest. goatboans and teeth and unused bowels need to be packed out.

mweinstone
04-28-2011, 22:23
okay so i know how to spell bones

okay so i know i spelled bones wrong

okay so i know im annoying

okay so i know im billville

okay so i know im matthewski

fredmugs
04-29-2011, 06:54
The guy I primarily hike with said he came across a guy in the 100 mile wilderness with 4 pack goats. Maybe there are different rules in that stretch.

88BlueGT
04-29-2011, 08:47
Illegal or not, I think its pretty awesome :D

fredmugs
04-29-2011, 09:16
Illegal or not, I think its pretty awesome :D

You know what would be really awesome? A trained bear!

88BlueGT
04-29-2011, 11:25
^^^ yes, a big one too. Big enough so I can ride him all the way to Katahdin!!! :banana

Spokes
04-29-2011, 12:38
First post and this fellow's asking about taking a pack goat on the trail? Come on. Do I look like I just fell off the truck?

Slosteppin
04-29-2011, 21:08
Are you set on hiking the AT or more interested in hiking with a goat or other pack animal?
If you are set on hiking the AT then I would suggest your alternative is to carry a lighter pack.
If you are set on hiking with a pack animal then do some internet surfing. What are the rules for hiking some of the great trails in Minnesota? Could you use two or three goats there? Do you intend to buy and care for your own goats? They are herd animals and always want at least one friend along. Goats are also much different to care for than dogs, in some ways much easier and in other ways much harder.

Perhaps if your interest is in hiking with pack animals then search the internet for people who lead guided trips with Llamas or goats. This would be a good way to start even if you want your own animals.

By the way, to paraphrase an old joke - Who you calling older youngster? I note that most of the people who responded to your post are your age or older...

Slosteppin

Datto
04-29-2011, 23:58
Pack animals aren't allowed on the AT

I think it's goats on bicycles that are outlawed.

What about the Salivation Army of goats on that mountaintop north of 42 in Virginia? The wouldn't let me pass and ran over in a group to lick my legs. Then snuffeled up under my shorts and used their teeth to pull my pants down.

You have to pay extra for that in Reno.

I'm just glad nothing landed on the top of my head that day.

Speaking of goats. what do you get if you bring your goat and your pig inside your redneck trailer?

Buckingham Palace.

Datto

Quiescence Farm
06-21-2011, 00:10
Ok, I have not been back sense I first posted the goat question, I have had some severe circumstances, but am now back on track I hope.
Most every ones responses have been on the humorous side. But.... If my dog is handicap certified and welcome any where in the world, why would a goat that can serve be and therefore myself, because I have a handicap be not allowed on the trail. That feels a little un-American. As in where freedom rings allowing all individuals the same opportunities. I am an experienced animal handler and will know how to deal with my animal.

Quiescence Farm
06-21-2011, 00:21
May be if I shared a little about myself. My goal is to be on the AT. Have wanted to for years. I have MS, which leaves me with balance issues at times and difficulty in managing body temp, hence a spring trip, and not carrying a large pack which would make me more tippy (HaHa). I want to go in the Smokey Mounts and will park, hike, camp, hike back, to truck, drive to new trail head and repeat. My trip has nothing to do with a pack animal other than it would enable me to make my goal. I will only be packing light as my month will be a series of 2 day hikes, in and out, move. Maybe that will help some see that goal is ultimately the AT and a way to make that possible for me.

Slo-go'en
06-21-2011, 00:30
Sorry Quiescence Farm, by law, pack animals are simply not allowed on the AT, regardless of circumstances. Dogs are different. Even though they can carry a pack, they can't carry much and as such aren't considered pack animals.

If you need to use a goat or two to carry your gear, you simply have to go someplace where it is legal to do so. The AT is simply not the trail for you. Thankfully, there are other choices.

I know of a guy out in Colorado who takes two goats with him on hiking trips. Each one can carry up to 30 pounds. He has quite a few videos on youtube of his trips with the goats. He also happens to be a Ham radio operator and uses the goats to carry the radio gear up the mountian. www.youtube.com/user/goathiker (http://www.youtube.com/user/goathiker)

Slo-go'en
06-21-2011, 00:38
Okay, horses are allowed on some trails in the Smokies, even some short sections of the AT, but not all of it. Not sure if this extends to other pack animals like goats. Your going to have to do some research here, you can't expect us to do that for you. But I suspect that even if what you want to do is legal, the logistics of it make it not a very practical plan.

Quiescence Farm
06-21-2011, 00:48
My heart is not in the Rockies, it is in the Appalachians. One person suggested my home state, which has no mountains. Yes officials over the years have named a couple hills mountains, but they are silly of course.

Quiescence Farm
06-21-2011, 00:52
Wasn't looking for anyone to do my research was just looking for opinions, and what kind of comments I would meet along the way. Had no idea that the AT was so closed. Therefore I will have to re think and re-examine. I have yet to see anywhere that didn't have exemptions for handicap use.

Trailweaver
06-21-2011, 02:53
Something else to consider. . . a goat would be a very attractive meal for a bear in the Smoky Mountains. I'm sure there would be trails somewhere in the southeastern area there you could use a pack goat. Let us know if you find somewhere to hike with one.

Carl in FL
06-21-2011, 13:30
But .... you could use a pony along the bridge paths in the GSMNP, and quite a few of those overlap the AT.

Sorry - did not see all these posts until I posted. Weird.

ScottP
06-21-2011, 14:32
Why not hire a 'sherpa'? Just get a hiker willing to carry 2 people's gear and pay him.

It's probably a lot cheaper than buying/caring for goats.

wcgornto
07-04-2011, 03:00
I haven't seen any pack goats.

I have seen pack llamas on the PCT.

vamelungeon
07-04-2011, 09:01
Since your goat idea is out you'll just have to come up with something different. People do hike the AT with MS, and without pack animals. You'll think of something. Good luck.