PDA

View Full Version : I LIKE this feeling.

The Counselor
04-28-2011, 21:36
Sunday I am leaving for Cosby Campground and we'll be climbing Low Gap Trail by about 6:30 Monday morning, Lord willing. Due to my daughter's volleyball tournament in Atlanta this weekend, I am packing tonight.

This is my first hike of any real consequence (4 days, 48 miles to Hot Springs) and as I count and pack everything from my ibuprofen to my oatmeal packets, the adrenaline is pumping. Reminds me a lot of the night before a marathon, with more planning. That and this is much more new to me.

I may actually use all this stuff I bought again.

10-K
04-28-2011, 21:50
Hope you have a great hike and enjoy yourself.

The planning, preparation and packing is a big part of it for me too.

Be safe!

mweinstone
04-28-2011, 21:58
god thats cool. your makeing us all feel that feeling by describing it so well. we all thrive on what your feeling. its a combination of all this:

your about to leave sociatys boundryline.

you are about to disconnect and switch to intenal support.

you are about to relive scilence of a deafening quality unheard and so despratly missed.

you are about to spend money on something intangable and theirfore worthy.

you are about to releace yourself into the wilds to bath in real.

you are about to place your mind in a place of complete peace with nature.

you are about to sooth wounds long tormented.

you are about to gain the respect of wild beasts.

you are about to piss matthewski who cant hike , way off.

godspeed.

mweinstone
04-28-2011, 22:03
ive never walked a single mile in the woods with a beliver. that would be a dream. on the morrow,( seconds after my art is hung in the luve and im filthy) ...we hike!

bigcranky
04-28-2011, 22:18
Sounds like a great hike. Enjoy it.

mweinstone
04-28-2011, 22:31
when you return, tell us of the things you brought that never got used at all. its a funny list usually containing such things as:

a leathal amount of ibuprofan witch even if consumed at an allarming rate would be way too much.

food you would have had to have been way way way more famished to concider food that was used as balast.

clothing that would have only come into play in the event of sudden uncontrolled catostophic pole shift combined with projectile diareeah.

enough batteries that if burnned from the word go would still be burnning bright 603 hours after your return to lighted communitys.

enough extra ziplocks for a thruhike.

repair gear for repair gear.

billvills lifesize cutout of mayor jester you somehow thaught would be easy to carry and fun.

Rick500
04-28-2011, 23:19
I predict you will have an amazing time. Tell us about it when you get back. Have a great hike!

The Counselor
04-28-2011, 23:28
Thanks for all the well wishes. To top it off, we have a cabin waiting in HS for two nights. The day after we get into town, we'll get into a little white water. Followed by a little brown water.

P.S. I just lightened my load by three ibuprofens and a cheese stick. I'll be practically floating on air.

aaronthebugbuffet
04-28-2011, 23:33
P.S. I just lightened my load by three ibuprofens and a cheese stick. I'll be practically floating on air.

On the 3rd night you will wish you had that cheese stick.

Enjoy your hike.:sun

Buffalo Skipper
04-29-2011, 09:56
Low Gap is a climb! Once you are on the AT, it is much better. Take the blue blaze to the tower at Mt Cammerer. It is a unique structure and the view is incredible! Well worth the easy .6 miles each way.

Have fun!

mweinstone
04-29-2011, 10:45
On the 3rd night you will wish you had that cheese stick.

Enjoy your hike.:sun

omg thats a tee shirt! i envision a full line comming out each spring.

on the thrid night you will wish you had that cherry halls....etc...

i

Sailor (The other one)
04-29-2011, 12:20
god thats cool. your makeing us all feel that feeling by describing it so well. we all thrive on what your feeling. its a combination of all this:

your about to leave sociatys boundryline.

you are about to disconnect and switch to intenal support.

you are about to relive scilence of a deafening quality unheard and so despratly missed.

you are about to spend money on something intangable and theirfore worthy.

you are about to releace yourself into the wilds to bath in real.

you are about to place your mind in a place of complete peace with nature.

you are about to sooth wounds long tormented.

One of the best descriptions of why I do this I've ever read. Thanks, Matty.