PDA

View Full Version : Question about Uncle Johnnys

flagator
04-28-2011, 22:16
Hey there, I'm trying to figure out the exact location of Uncle Johnnys Hostel in relation to the AT. My trail guide makes no mention of it, and their website doesn't seem to either unless I'm missing it. Just wanting to know what section it is on and at what point is the turn off. Thanks!!

Shooting Star
04-28-2011, 22:24
You walk right by it before you cross the bridge over the Nolichucky River.
Going northbound, you come down off Temple Hill Knob onto a road. The AT
follows the road to the left. After 200 feet or so, you reach the bridge which
the trail crosses. Uncle Johnny's is across the intersection.

flagator
04-28-2011, 22:33
great, thanks!

fredmugs
04-29-2011, 06:49
Note the White blaze:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_xlwA0n3d0-8/ScevAlpN0tI/AAAAAAAADFM/U8V8KeQXJtU/s720/Uncle%20Johnnys%20-%20end%20of%20Day%207.JPG

fredmugs
04-29-2011, 06:51
Hey there, I'm trying to figure out the exact location of Uncle Johnnys Hostel in relation to the AT. My trail guide makes no mention of it, and their website doesn't seem to either unless I'm missing it. Just wanting to know what section it is on and at what point is the turn off. Thanks!!

Just curious - what trail guide are you looking at that doesn't mention a hostel / store / shuttle provider that is directly on the trail? You might consider getting a different guide.

Lone Wolf
04-29-2011, 06:59
Just curious - what trail guide are you looking at that doesn't mention a hostel / store / shuttle provider that is directly on the trail? You might consider getting a different guide.

Probably "The Companion"

Jaybird
04-29-2011, 07:01

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=7700&catid=member&imageuser=656

As you hike into ERWIN,TN...you can see UNCLE JOHNNY's...on River Road.
they rent canoes & Kayaks, etc...so...@ first glance (unless you know what youre looking for..) you might not know it...Nolichucky Hostel & Outfitters or check out www.unclejohnnys.net

Good Luck!

I'll be section-hiking DWG NoBO to Kent,CT
May 28-June 12
hope to see some of ya'll out there!:D

flagator
04-29-2011, 11:18
"Appalachian Trail Guide" Tenn-NC 13th addition. It makes mention of stores and road access, but not Uncle Johnnys by name.

sherrill
04-29-2011, 12:39
Fredmugs-

Correct me please, where's the blaze in the photo? Sorry, it's sort of taken on a "Where's Waldo" thing for me... :D

I thought that, looking at Johnnys from that perspective, that the trail turned on the road to the right, over the bridge.

10-K
04-29-2011, 12:41
Fredmugs-

Correct me please, where's the blaze in the photo? Sorry, it's sort of taken on a "Where's Waldo" thing for me... :D

I thought that, looking at Johnnys from that perspective, that the trail turned on the road to the right, over the bridge.

You are correct...

Tennessee Viking
04-29-2011, 12:44
The ATC trail guides usually do not mention hostels, businesses, or services by name.

Carl in FL
04-29-2011, 12:56
Fredmugs-

The white arrow-like thing on the railing that looks an awful lot like the
letter "A" on top of the letter "T" and makes for a really cool directional
thingie, but really doesn't look anything like a blaze.

That's just a newcomer's guess though.

Firefighter503
04-29-2011, 15:08
Here's a quick video that was shot on 04/15/11 at Uncle Johnny's. A friend did it for school, and I apologize ahead of time for the misquoted statistics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqe5jBthbd8

fredmugs
04-29-2011, 16:09
The white arrow-like thing on the railing that looks an awful lot like the
letter "A" on top of the letter "T" and makes for a really cool directional
thingie, but really doesn't look anything like a blaze.

That's just a newcomer's guess though.

Yep - should have referrd to it as an AT symbol instead of a blaze.

I was wrong.

Buhzerker
04-30-2011, 06:17
Probably off topic a bit here, But I live in this area and ran across a cool Video of a friend of mine from the area as well. His Friend took his song and put some AT vids to it. I thought some here may enjoy it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6RLpJOJ0Rs&feature=channel_video_title

Cabin Fever
04-30-2011, 06:24
Fredmugs-

I wasted two minutes of my life for the same reason.

Mistie
05-06-2011, 18:18
When I walked into Uncle Johnny's I couldn't believe how much garbage was scattered around...piles of black garbage bags....dirty bunk house, food left out...didn't take me long to decide on the super 8. 40 dollar shuttle then 5 for the ride to super 8 after they took younger hikers for 2 dollars. The driver bad mouthed the super 8 and told me they rip hikers off ... of which I found the exact opposite. I was shuttled to town for FREE. Rooms are clean, managers are kind and courteous. I don't recommend Uncle Johnny's Hostel.