PDA

View Full Version : Boiling Springs Question

OldFeet
04-29-2011, 08:51
The first week in June l'll be section hiking through Boiling Springs. My plan had been to either stay at the Garminhaus or tent in the yard but yesterday learned they are no longer open since the husband unfortunately passed away. L've read elsewhere about a hiker rate at Allenberry. Does anyone know if it can be booked in advance or is a last minute thing based on availability.

I know there's also a primitive campsite south of town. Has anyone had problems camping there and leaving a tent unattended while walking into town?

DrRichardCranium
04-29-2011, 09:14
My advice is to avoid the Allenberry on Monday. Everything is shut down on Mondays. You need to call Pizza Hut to get a meal.

Grampie
04-29-2011, 09:25
The AT camping area just south of town is close to the railroad tracks and trains pass through during the night. It is also known as an area loaded with ticks. I left my tent there unattended and went into town and had no problems.

Cookerhiker
04-29-2011, 09:30
I camped at the designated campsite just over 2 weeks ago - also left a tent unattended while I went back to the ATC office to cook dinner on the picnic table. No problems with the site. I'm a reasonably heavy sleeper, hence the trains didn't wake me up until around 5:30 AM.

My main problem was finding the site in the first place because I was section-hiking SOBO and kept looking around the RR tracks, not realizing the turnoff was a few hundred yards futher south.

OldFeet
04-29-2011, 10:05
I camped at the designated campsite just over 2 weeks ago - also left a tent unattended while I went back to the ATC office to cook dinner on the picnic table. No problems with the site. I'm a reasonably heavy sleeper, hence the trains didn't wake me up until around 5:30 AM.

My main problem was finding the site in the first place because I was section-hiking SOBO and kept looking around the RR tracks, not realizing the turnoff was a few hundred yards futher south.

I'll be headed northbound so l'm guessing that will make it easier to find. Others have posted about the ticks so guess l'll just have to be vigilant. My schedule pretty much dictates that l'll be there on a Monday so l'll just have to deal with the Monday closings.

OldFeet
04-29-2011, 10:16
Coolhiker l meant to ask, was the turnoff marked once you managed to find it? l really don't mind the sound of trains myself.

Cookerhiker
04-29-2011, 10:32
I'll be headed northbound so l'm guessing that will make it easier to find. Others have posted about the ticks so guess l'll just have to be vigilant. My schedule pretty much dictates that l'll be there on a Monday so l'll just have to deal with the Monday closings.

I had a second breakfast at the Caffe 101 (http://www.boilingsprings.org/caffe-101/). I don't know if they're open Mondays and I also don't know if they serve dinner or only breakfast & lunch. You may want to call them for their hours. They're not listed in my 2008 Companion which shows I need the latest one.

Cookerhiker l meant to ask, was the turnoff marked once you managed to find it? l really don't mind the sound of trains myself.

As you're hiking with a field to your right & trees to your left approaching Boiling Springs, you reach the edge of the field where there's a verticle brown signpost (sorry, no photo) which points to the campsite on a path through the field to your right. You walk about 150 yards on this path, approaching trees and the tracks and you'll see places where you pitch your tent.

Back at the path junction with the AT, it's only a hundred feet or so to the road followed by the RR tracks and Yellow Breeches Creek. You'll want to fill your water from the spigot at the ATC office so after crossing the creek, proceed through a parking lot for fisherman, cross another road to the lake which is on your left, and walk to the ATC office on your right at the end of the lake.

OldFeet
04-29-2011, 10:40
Coolhiker, thanks for the tips. Sounds like it should be fairly easy to find headed north.

BobS
04-29-2011, 12:21
The tavern and the outfitter (flyfishing gear mostly) are the only places in town closed on Monday. Anile's (pizza - L, D) and Caffe 101 (B, L, some days D) are both open Mondays.

Panzer1
04-29-2011, 18:44
I know there's also a primitive campsite south of town. Has anyone had problems camping there and leaving a tent unattended while walking into town?

I would not leave my tent unattended anywhere. If someone steals it, your hike is over.

Panzer

ki0eh
04-29-2011, 18:55
1st Sat. in June is Foundry Day, good food stands along 3rd St across the lake from the trail, and behind (and much more crowded than) the hoity-toity art stands.