PDA

View Full Version : best direction?

Dixie Cat
04-29-2011, 09:34
I am planning a speed attempt on the AT through SNP next month and am so psyched to have found this forum -- great info! I'd love feedback on the best direction to travel. I have family in Charlottesville so would love to begin in Front Royal in order to finish up closer to "home"...but have heard that NOBO might be a little easier?

:) thanks!

wallace
04-29-2011, 10:34
When I did SNP I went north to south. I did this because showers and supplies would be more plentiful in the southern section (i.e. Loft Mountain) than in the north and I would appreciate access to them more at the end of the hike. I parked at Dickies Ridge visitor center on the drive and hiked about 8 miles over to the AT. This parking location seemed secure as it is occupied by park personnel more than other sites. The details of what I did can be seen at http://homerandthumbsgohiking.blogspot.com. Enjoy.

johnnybgood
04-29-2011, 22:09
The AT through SNP is 105.2 miles so if you're intent on walking it's entirety then there's no starting at Dickeys Ridge , which shortcuts the nothern entrance.
Going northbound seemed a bit easier to me mainly because of that climb out of Front Royal right from the get go . Once inside the park there will be small climbs and descents from either direction , hardly any significant difference outside of a steep rocky climb coming southbound out of Thornton Gap.
*If you begin your hike from Waynesboro I'd park the car near the parks entrance station and fill out a backcountry pass there .
*If you decide to begin in Front Royal then I'd park at the 4-H Center off of VA602 and fill out a liability waiver at the office . It's free , and they will show you where you need to park your car. A blue blaze trail , maybe 0.5 mile will intercect the AT near the northern boundry of the park.

fiddlehead
04-29-2011, 23:49
If you are attempting it in one day, then I don't see a need for a backcountry permit.
If not, I would assume you are going to go as long as you can and then just sleep wherever. If so, get the pass even though I doubt they'll find you after dark, especially if you leave before first light again.
Be aware of bears who like to eat in the dawn and post sunset hours.
Know what to do in case of a false charge.
I had one do that to me and luckily I knew what to do at the time.

I would go with the friends or family close to you at the end. You'll probably need some help at that point. Maybe they could be waiting for you at the end.

I believe there is not a lot of elevation difference in the 2 ends I believe. Or else, I would say go with whatever has the most downhill.

Good luck. Have fun. Let us know how it turned out.

think0075
04-30-2011, 00:54
i live up near the northern end and make the climb out of front royal a lot. its really not that bad if you are going to start up here i suggest starting at us522 its about 3 miles outside the park. the only reason i would suggest going southbound is for better views towards the end, the northern part of the park is a bit anti-climatic. maybe thats cause i live up here. but atleast if you go south its all downhill.
casey jones mega- 08

Lemni Skate
04-30-2011, 06:42
Completing the AT in Shenandoah and hiking the length of Shenandoah are slightly different things.

If you're heading northbound

At the northern end of the park the AT turns a little east and leaves the park before you get to the northern edge. You end up hiking 3 more miles after you leave the park and come out at a non-descript location on 522.

Of you bear west onto Dickey Ridge Trail you actually have a little farther to go and you end up very near Front Royal. If I were going to do this I wouldn't leave a vehicle overnight at the parking lot on 522.

I really don't see much of an advantage to either direction. Water is easier to find in the Central and Northern sections, but at the speed you're going that probably won't be much of an issue for you as you'll reach "civilized" places to get water every 20 miles or so.

I love the trail through Shenandoah and I think you'll have a blast.

HiSoks
04-30-2011, 09:17
I just did from Panarama to Harpers Ferry, NOBO. Water is plentiful, and the terrain is uneventful. You should be able to cover 15-20 mpd without difficulty.

HiSoks
04-30-2011, 09:19
If you go NOBO you can leave your car at ATC HQ. If you need a place to stay in Harpers Ferry over-night before you get started or after you finish; there's a new hostel there and its called Teahorse Hostel. $29 per night, a little high but very clean and very private.

Pedaling Fool
04-30-2011, 09:24
I am planning a speed attempt on the AT through SNP next month and am so psyched to have found this forum -- great info! I'd love feedback on the best direction to travel. I have family in Charlottesville so would love to begin in Front Royal in order to finish up closer to "home"...but have heard that NOBO might be a little easier?

:) thanks!
I've done SNP in both directions and can't tell one from the other.

johnnybgood
04-30-2011, 09:31
I've done SNP in both directions and can't tell one from the other.
I agree , but only after hiking inside the park. The elevation gain is steeper entering from the north.

mweinstone
05-01-2011, 15:34
i allways walk the road. love that road. appleorchard mountain is my favorite spot on earth. but only on the road.