PDA

View Full Version : Lakes of the Clouds Hut, stealth camp???

hawkeye
04-29-2011, 09:47
Anyone know of a good stealth camp near Lakes of the clouds? Panning a trip with my friend who is getting back from the war and wants to see mountains, not sand!!! We would be heading NB on the AT from Lafayette. If yoy know of any, PM me.
Thanks, Greg

weary
04-29-2011, 10:56
Anyone know of a good stealth camp near Lakes of the clouds? Panning a trip with my friend who is getting back from the war and wants to see mountains, not sand!!! We would be heading NB on the AT from Lafayette. If yoy know of any, PM me.
Thanks, Greg
It's pretty hard to stealth above timberline. It takes trees to hide a camp. Keep in mind, also, that Lake of the Clouds has some rare plants nearby. Plants that might not survive being sat on by a tent, or sleeping bag.

earlyriser26
04-29-2011, 11:09
You would be out in the open and that is a very well traveled area. Only possibility would to camp after dark and get up early. Pay AMC or change your schedule.

Ender
04-29-2011, 11:15
It will be almost impossible to stealth camp there, and it would also be against the rules. I'd suggest heading below treeline where it's OK to stealth.

hikerboy57
04-29-2011, 11:59
watch the dvd Trek, and see what happened when they camped above treeline in the whites.75mph winds are pretty common on Mt washington.Its not just illegal, its dangerous,weather changes in minutes.

Snowleopard
04-29-2011, 12:58
The alpine vegetation is very delicate, easily damaged and slow to recover. So don't stealth camp above treeline at all. It's also illegal.

You can drop below treeline and camp legally, but it can be hard to find a usable space. There are the RMC cabins on the north side of Mt. Adams which are cheap and nice. http://www.randolphmountainclub.org/sheltersinfo/aboutourshelters.html

You don't say when you're thinking of going. If it's soon, there's still a lot of snow up there.

peakbagger
04-29-2011, 13:15
If you keep going past Mt Washington and take the Jewell trail down to below treeline, there is an obvious camping area to the right of the trail and numerous spots in the spruce to the left. The sites are not great or very large but they get a lot of use. Even though they are officially below treeline, they are quite exposed to prevailing westerly or northwesterly wind. There is a stream that crosses the trail as you are heading down, but treat it as there are two trails just above that get a lot of use.

Dogwood
04-29-2011, 18:36
DITTO, to above statements. Some very sensitive, very rare, easily damaged, not so obvious, long time to grow because short growing season plants in the area! It's illegal and possibly dangerous due to heavy exposure too.

Don't know your time frame or exactly when LoTC Hut opens but there is a small earthen cellar with entry door at rear of shelter that might be open that the AMC has SOMTIMES/RARELY allows hiking dogs(not human hiking dogs) or humans to stay. THIS IS NOT COMMON POLICY, as far as I'm aware though!!!!!!! They might leave it open for emergency!

JAK
04-29-2011, 18:49
Any good stealth camping stories.

I camped after dark and woke up in someones backyard once.
I was fortunate that the dogs leash was about 10 feet short.

Another time I woke up with cows all around.

hawkeye
04-29-2011, 18:55
We are planning to head to Hermit Lake. Take the Crossover trail to it. We will do Mt Washington another day!

hermit Lake

Dogwood
04-29-2011, 19:05
Any good stealth camping stories.

I camped after dark and woke up in someones backyard once.
I was fortunate that the dogs leash was about 10 feet short.

Another time I woke up with cows all around.

The topic deserves another thread! I can realate half a dozen stories off the top of my head.

Recently stealthed on a beach in Hawaii on the night of the earthquake that hit Japan and ensuing tsunami that hit portions of Hawaii. Can you say floating for your life on top of a picnic table?