PDA

View Full Version : The most bare part of the trail?

flagator
04-29-2011, 10:45
Hey all. I am looking at doing about 70 mile section hike. I was hoping I could be directed to the part of the trail with the least trees and brush. Every section hike Ive done is beautiful, however 'Im looking for a bit of different type scenery. I see a lot of pictures here and some people are hiking on such beautiful open fields and rolling hills. I think it would be cool to camp and hike in the wide open for a change.
From my research its looking like perhaps the best sections for this will include max patch or grayson highlands. But collectively which section of the AT has the least forest. I did read a few strong recommendations for Mount Rogers HQ to VA 16. However somewhere I read only about 2-3 miles of the AT is in Grayson highlands, is this true?Which has more open walking and less forest brush. Or you could recommend another section altogether. THANKS!

mweinstone
04-29-2011, 10:47
jersy?........................

tdoczi
04-29-2011, 11:16
probably not what you have in mind but in the presidential range youre above treeline for a good 15 miles straight give or take. rolling hill it ain't though.

10-K
04-29-2011, 11:17
There's a long stretch in southern PA (around Boiling Springs) that goes through fields/farms and is very flat.

weary
04-29-2011, 11:23
probably not what you have in mind but in the presidential range youre above treeline for a good 15 miles straight give or take. rolling hill it ain't though.
Do the Presidentials and keep going through the Mahoosuc and Bigelow Ranges in Maine for maximum scenic vistas. If you have time take the side trails to Bigelow's second "Horn" and to Abraham near Saddleback.

JAK
04-29-2011, 11:43
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHmsHU1zuoc

I hate this dude's voice, but the scenery really is awesome, once you get there.

Spokes
04-29-2011, 11:44
The most bare part of the trail is Hike Naked Day.

sherrill
04-29-2011, 13:10
Lehigh Gap. Not for good reasons.

Mizirlou
04-29-2011, 13:32
I was hoping I could be directed to the part of the trail with the least trees and brush.
Poison ivy avoidance? Looks like a bumper crop this season.

Snowleopard
04-29-2011, 14:35
Gros Morne on the IAT/SIA is definitely on my to do list!
I haven't hiked in Iceland, but the joke is true: "What do you do if you're lost in an Icelandic forest? answer: Stand up." Anyplace far enough north will be open, but if you only go almost far enough north the low trees and brush are almost impassible.

The presidentials in the White Mts. above treeline are clear, but steep. For a long hike you'll spend a lot of time below treeline and that'll be dense forest and climbing on roots and rocks.

JAK
04-30-2011, 08:35
Tactic #1: When the very large (church) group shows up in your camp, find the leader and say "just to let you know, Im waiting on five more friends who are bringing a large bottle of bourbon; they will be here soon & we will stay up all night and party loudly."Depending on the church group, this has been know to backfire, but in a good way.:banana

Tactic #2: Just because some girlfriend/boyfriend combo planned on camping at the same site as you decided on, but arrived second, that doesn't mean share the otherwise cramped site; act schizophrenic & talk out loud to yourself--this will ensure prompt departure of invading campers.This can also backfire. NOT in a good way. :eek:

johnnybgood
04-30-2011, 09:16
Lots of open meadow hiking in the Grayson Highlands area . Don't stay on the AT , explore the loop hikes that will weave you through this area with the scenery you're looking for.

I recommend getting a map of the Highlands at the visitors center with the circuit hike possibilities using the AT as means to getting there.

Frog
04-30-2011, 11:45
Check out this section. From Uncle Johnny s in Erwin Tenn to Hi way 19 E Stills has forest but goes across Beauty Spot and the roan highlands. Great Section Lots of Southern Balds

Smile
04-30-2011, 12:45
AT on the weekend? NEVER.

AT on the weekend in the highlands? Not worth it--Plan on going during the week. But even then, they will take over your campsite. Practice "take back your campsite" tactics, like: (and I've actually done this twice in the highlands when invaded by groups)

Sometimes, but not always. Did a weekend hike in early fall, lunched alone at Overmtn. Shelter and had Doll flats to ourselves.(and a small young bear).

Try a Sunday hike, and an overnight Sunday from 19E - Carvers. :)

Plenty of sort of open hiking before the leaves are on trees in early spring, pick sections with lots of ridgeline, you can see for miles....through the trees of course, but it feels pretty open without the thick green everything....

Beachcomber
04-30-2011, 13:58
The most bare part of the trail is Hike Naked Day.

Coming up on June 21, 2011.

http://www.hikingnaked.com/

Duff
04-30-2011, 15:43
Greyson Highlands sounds like what you want; take an apple for the ponies.

Spokes
04-30-2011, 19:05
coming up on june 21, 2011.

http://www.hikingnaked.com/

yeehaw!!!!!!!!

jbsbestfan
05-03-2011, 11:02
Like Frog says, the Roan Highlands are awesome, but not seventy miles long. I would probably add on the Erwin to High Roan Knob side also, but that rea is not as open as Carver Gap past Hump Mounain.

Doc Mike
05-03-2011, 14:01
mt rogers to wise shelter almost all completely open and great veiws