PDA

View Full Version : Injured hiker looking for advice

FORTIS
04-29-2011, 12:06
I'm not sure exactly where I went wrong but unfortunately I had to remove myself from the trail due to a fractured ankle and torn ligament. I was handicapping a sensitive IT band of the left knee and possibly placing to much stress on the right side which is where the fracture occurred. My main concern when starting the hike was dealing with type 1 diabetes and making the proper insulin pump and nutritional adjustments. This went very well and caused me only minimal problems such as the expected lows and the unexpected freezing of my insulin pump. But all and all I don't feel me being diabetic was any more than a nuisance and certainly not something that would stop me from completing my journey. I loved everything about the AT and never once questioned the trail nor my intentions to hike it. I had no choice but to remove myself :mad: :(

After coming out of the Smokies I took 2 zeros. My feet and ankles were very sore and swollen. I moved through the Smokies fairly quickly and the last 10.5 miles of hard down I feel I might have approached with a bit to much gusto :eek:. I managed to make it to Elmer's Hostel in Hot Springs, NC but was in a lot of pain. I took 3 more zeros (the food and staff at Elmer's was fantastic :) ) at Elmer's. I quickly grew bored and desperately wanted to get back on the trail. I should have known better. My feet and ankles remained very swollen and sensitive but the left knee seemed fine. I bought some Super-Feet insoles thinking this might help and headed for Erwin, Tenn. I barely made it to the first shelter, Spring Mtn. Shelter. I was no longer looking nor feeling like a hiker. I knew I was in trouble but returning to Hot Springs seemed out of the question. I continued to hobble on for 3 more days using my trekking poles and finally made it to Flint Mtn. Shelter where I accepted the fact I was done :(. The next day I covered 2.7 miles and made it to a road at Devil Fork Gap, NC. I hitched a ride to the hospital and the rest is history.

I'm back home now recovering and growing very very bored! I'm following my doctors advice but itching to get back at it.....with a new plan of course. Sorry for rambling on. Now for my question.

I got off the trail at app. mile 316. I thought about going to Trail Days in Damascus, VA and continuing from there (on 5/18/11) and returning in the winter to hike the missed portion (app. 165 miles). Does this sound like a good plan or would you just start from where you were forced of the trail or even go further North than Damascus? Thanks for your advice and for listening.

FORTIS "M80"

Lead Dog
04-29-2011, 12:21
Do what is first instinct for you and you'll be happy with the decision. I'd go to trail Days and enjoy your time there and then hike the direction you wish. I have to section hike to complete the trail at this time. Too long to retirement days to just quite my job. So having to come back and forth to complete the trail is no big deal to me. Keeps things interesting. Good luck.

10-K
04-29-2011, 12:23
I have no idea what I'd do but I do know what it's like to have my mind saying GO-GO-GO and my body saying STOP-STOP-STOP.

The body almost always wins.

Things to consider are that walking around your house is a lot different that wearing a pack walking up and down mountains so while you may be feeling fit as a fiddle at home that could change with the increased physical requirements of hiking.

Another thing to think about along the same lines is that when you do return to the trail it would be a very smart thing to do so with as light as pack as possible.

I hurt myself hiking a few weeks ago and had to go to the hospital myself. It took me an hour and a half to go 1.4 miles down a perfectly level road my leg hurt so bad. Fortunately for me, my full pack weight was around 12 lbs. Had I been carrying my formerly 25-30 lb pack there is no way I could have ever made it.

royalusa
04-29-2011, 12:28
Hi Fortis. Sorry to hear that you are injured and off the trail for now. That is never fun. We met you coming down the big hill after Blue Mt Shelter to Unicoi Gap and loved your bear story from the Neels Gap area.

In regards to your questions, I'm not so sure it really matters where you restart, though you may need to consider flipping if you run out of time, weather wise.

My only recommendation is to take care of the body and listen to it before pushing back to the trail and of course, starting slow.

And just as importantly lightening the pack weight. I'd spend this healing time rethinking what you are carrying and seeing if you can't get your base pack weight (everything but food and water) to 20 pounds or less. 15 pounds or less would be even that much better on an aching body. It's amazing how you can see the base weight number creep higher and higher once you put together a list (or spreadsheet) of every item and it's weight in ounces/grams. You've been on the trail for 316 miles now, so you really should have a good idea of what you really need vs. what is a luxury item that may actually be taxing your body and joints needlessly. Just my 2 cents. HYOH...and wishing you a speedy recovery!!

Grasshopper & Brakeman
GAME '08

Creek Dancer
04-29-2011, 12:33
Hey Fortis. I was the section hiker in the shuttle van that picked you up on our way to Erwin. Sorry to hear that you are temporarily off the trail. I have thought about you a few times and wondered how you are doing.

I hope that you heal soon and get back on the trail to continue your journey. I can tell by your post that you long to get back out there.

I guess if I were you, I would start hiking from Damascus and pick up the missed miles later.

Snowleopard
04-29-2011, 12:34
I'm sorry about your injury. Are you thinking of restarting on May 18? That seems awfully fast for recovery from a fractured ankle. Once you're medically recovered, how you continue your hike is truly up to you.

You seem to have successfully managed your diabetes on the trail and that's a significant accomplishment. It might be really useful to other diabetics if you wrote up and put online your experiences with that, what worked, what didn't, what you'd do differently in the future.

Good luck in your recovery and getting back on the trail.

booney_1
04-29-2011, 12:40
You did not describe in detail your fracture and torn ligaments. But I cannot imagine you would be ready to hike with a pack in three weeks. The ankle joint is very complicated, don't jeopardize your future hiking by damaging it even more. I assume, at the very least, that you are in a softcast. Even "simple" stress fractures usually require 4 weeks in a softcast, followed by a couple months of gradual return to strenuous activity.

If you do end up going in three weeks, please bring a lot of athletic tape and study up on how to tape your ankle.

so...my final words are be patient...

jesse
04-29-2011, 14:27
give your body time to heal.

FORTIS
04-29-2011, 15:08
Thanks for all of the kind words and quick responses.

booney_1 and Snowleopard - The fracture was to the tibia just above the ankle. The ligament tear is on the outside of the right ankle. As far as the torn ligament goes it is actually probably going to pose the biggest problem. I've been using crutches and placing no weight on the injuring since the 18th of this month. I'm in a soft-cast and have been since the 21st. Continuing on the 18th of May would be four weeks since coming off the trail and probably/possibly to soon but that was my most optimistic hope :). That is certainly not what my Dr. is suggesting. If I need to hang out in Damascus for for awhile then I will. Booney_1, thanks for the athletic tape suggestion. Will do! Snowleopard, I plan on starting a journal on Trail-Journals (while recovering) discussing the early part of my hike, how I dealt with being a type 1 diabetic on an insulin pump, as well as my injury and hopeful return to the AT.

Creek Dancer - I remember you well. Man was I glad you guys pulled over and gave me a ride. I was miserable. I went the wrong way :confused: when leaving Flint Mtn. Shelter that morning and walked 30 minutes in the wrong direction before realizing I wasn't on the At. Can you say dumb! Thanks for the suggestion. It was a pleasure meeting you. Happy hiking.

Grasshopper & Brakeman - Unicoi Gap, that seems like eons ago :) . It's funny you mention the bear story. That was one crazy bear!!! Thanks for the tips. I am currently making some changes that will hopefully reduce my pack weight. I was 47lbs (4 days of food and 2L of h2o). You are correct, the base weight seems to have a mind of its own as it creeps ever higher :D Thanks for the well wishes.

10-K - Thanks 10-K. I'm sorry to hear about your leg. I hope you have fully recovered. As I mentioned above I'm going to take what I learned during the first 300 miles and use it to my advantage......by reducing my base weight. I've already started messing with my pack and gear although the stupid crutches are driving me nuts. I appreciate your advice. FYI, the advice you gave me back in March regarding gloves/mittens was spot on. Thanks.

Lead Dog - Thanks Lead Dog. Great advice!

For laughs here is a picture of my ugly ankles and feet.

http://fortisdog.tripawds.com/?attachment_id=975 (http://fortisdog.tripawds.com/?attachment_id=975)

Fortis

flatfeet
04-29-2011, 15:11
Oh brother. that same thing more or less happened to me. Except my injury took me out at Wayah Bald just 11 miles outside of Franklin. Ankle problem was bad but when I woke up I knew my season was done. I've been back home bored and wasting time. Hoping that my ankle will be better so I can start from where I left off. But, the thought of getting all the way down to Franklin and stressing out that injury and having to come home again keeps me here at home. You know your body. It will tell you when it is ready. In the mean time like others have said. Cut your weight. i would recommend picking up Ray Jardine's "Trail Life". He was able to carry an 11 lb pack. And finish the trail in 88 days. He also started in June! Good luck to you.

88BlueGT
04-29-2011, 16:52
Ouch those ankles look painful.

Love the site, btw.

The Old Boot
04-29-2011, 17:28
While I know all too well the 'let's get out there' feeling and the total boredom that comes with being incapacitated, I also know that trying to force one's body to do too much too soon will only result in it fighting back. The body almost always wins.

May 18th is only a few weeks away....way, way too soon to be thinking of being out there pounding your feet on the earth for miles at a time day after day after day.

The torn ligament is, as you surmised, going to be the hardest part. Soft tissue injuries like a torn ligament take at least as long if not longer than bone fractures to heal properly...try doing too much too soon on it and you'll likely end up with permanent damage.

Listen to your doctor, get into physiotherapy as soon as the doc will allow it and then listen to the physiotherapist (try for one who does sports injuries).

The trail will still be there when you're ready. You could always start at late as mid September at Katahdin and do a SOBO.

booney_1
04-29-2011, 17:44
As a runner,and parent of runners (and friends of runners!), I'm much more familiar with what it takes to return from running after typical running injuries.

Part of the problem you are facing is not only do you have your injury to deal with, but the uninjured muscles in the foot in the cast will atrophy, and the tendons really tighten up. For a runner who spends 1 month in a softcast, the return to running starts with building up to walking a mile without pain. After that you start by going 1/4 mile alternating walking and running (50 paces). You very slowly build up as the weeks go by. I know running is quite different than hiking, but I just wanted you to know what a running recovery would be like.

anyway take care...

royalusa
04-29-2011, 19:45
I am currently making some changes that will hopefully reduce my pack weight. I was 47lbs (4 days of food and 2L of h2o). You are correct, the base weight seems to have a mind of its own as it creeps ever higher :D

Your 47lbs (4 days of food and 2L of h2o) probably equates to a base weight of approx. 35 pounds. Now the fun begins. Think how much your feet, ankles and all your other joints will love you if you can drop 20 pounds (or even more as 10-K has found out) off that base weight. But beware, once you start counting grams, it is an addiction and you may find your self looking for more and more things to cut!:o Have fun strategizing.

I sure did not like the look of your feet in that pic! It looks like they felt every rock and root on your hike. Hope they are doing much better soon.

pfann
04-29-2011, 19:59
Fortis,

I believe you met my colleague Thom. He was on a relay hike for a fundraiser and gave you a ankle brace. He mentioned you in our journal and was impressed that you did not give up so easily. (www.postholer.com/pfann (http://www.postholer.com/pfann)) (Entry 33).Thome typed your name as Portis.

The American Heor Hikers Team hopes you are doing well and wish you a speedy recovery and good hiking in the future. Make sure your 100% before you are back on trail. If not, you risk making it worse for a much longer period of time.

Good luck,

-pfann

Snowleopard
04-29-2011, 21:54
Fortis,

I believe you met my colleague Thom. He was on a relay hike for a fundraiser and gave you a ankle brace. He mentioned you in our journal and was impressed that you did not give up so easily. (www.postholer.com/pfann (http://www.postholer.com/pfann)) (Entry 33).Thome typed your name as Portis.

I read that journal and was wondering what became of Portis. Get well soon Fortis.

mkmangold
04-29-2011, 22:30
give your body time to heal.

And while you heal, limp over to your doctors. Get a chemistry panel including calcium, magnesium, and vitamin D levels. The panel should also evaluate your kidneys. Blessings on your healing.

LDog
04-29-2011, 22:50
Listen to your doctor, get into physiotherapy as soon as the doc will allow it and then listen to the physiotherapist (try for one who does sports injuries).

The trail will still be there when you're ready. You could always start at late as mid September at Katahdin and do a SOBO.

Totally agree. give yourself plenty of time to heal. In the meantime, do what your doc says about rest, ice, elevation, anti-inflammatories ...

If you heal soon enough to get back out there this season, flip-flopping from Katahdin does makes sense.

Good luck!

FORTIS
04-30-2011, 11:33
I want to thank you all for your advice and input. I'm listening and will not hit the trail until I feel I can go the distance. I'm already seeing a sport medicine doctor as well as working with my endocrinologist regarding any diabetic complications. That said, my hike was in memory of and intended to honor my brave friend Fortis. I know some aren't into the dog thing and I respect that but for me I've received no greater gift in life than the friendship we shared. I promised Fortis during his last year of life that he would get to go on the hike that he had trained so hard for. I carried him with me when I left the falls and I have every intention of continuing our journey together to Katahdin. That was my promise. Fortis lost his leg in early 2010 due to bone cancer and lost his life January of this year. I know this has little to due with hiking but I just wanted to share here with you what I shared with so many on the trail.

http://fortisdog.tripawds.com/about-1/25-pse/ (http://fortisdog.tripawds.com/about-1/25-pse/)

pfann - Thom was a true gentleman and the ankle wrap that he gave me was a big help. Thank you Thom. He really helped to lift my spirits that day on the trail. I only saw three hikers that entire day Thom being one of them. When I heard him scream out from atop Firescald Knob I really thought he might be hurt. I yelled back several times but when I didn't hear a response I knew I had to walk back to where we parted. Boy was I relieved to see him and that's when he gave me the ankle wrap....gave me a real scare he did :eek: I did try to call him after leaving Flint Shelter but got no answer. Please tell him hey for me. The link below is a picture I took of him at Flint Mtn. Shelter :)

http://fortisdog.tripawds.com/?attachment_id=979 (http://fortisdog.tripawds.com/?attachment_id=979)

flatfeet - Sorry about the injury. Wishing you the best for fast and full recovery. I hope to see you on the trail someday. Happy hiking!

"Fortis"

Thomk
05-03-2011, 11:59
Fortis!

I'm glad you made it back to civilization, how's the ankle?

--Thom

FORTIS
05-04-2011, 11:05
Fortis!

I'm glad you made it back to civilization, how's the ankle?

--Thom

Thanks Thom! It was a long day.

The ankle is slowly improving and I'm still remaining hopeful for a return to the trail this year. My sodium levels are low and that seems to be a bigger concern right now.

Congrats on completing your hike. I truly wished I would have been able to continue on with you and 501 for a bit. That would have been nice.

Take care.......who knows, maybe our paths will cross again. If you come to Austin as you spoke about on the trail we should try and get together for lunch or something :)

FORTIS
05-08-2011, 10:13
I've been looking for ways to cut my pack weight during my down time. Do you think replacing my WM VersaLite bag (it weighs 36.5 ounces by the way. Not the 32 indicated) with a WM SummerLite or Caribou MF??? I'm hoping to return to the trail between the 25th and 31st of this month if at all possible. Is this to early to switch to a summer bag in your opinion? I was originally using Waynesboro, VA as my "Mail home winter gear" location but It is getting later in the year. Thanks in advance for any advice.

FORTIS
05-08-2011, 10:26
Sorry, edited...........Do you think replacing my WM VersaLite bag (it weighs 36.5 ounces by the way. Not the 32 indicated) with a WM SummerLite or Caribou MF would make sense at this point??? I'm hoping to return to the trail between the 25th and 31st of this month leaving from either Damascus or Pearishburg if at all possible. Is this to early to switch to a summer bag in your opinion? I was originally using Waynesboro, VA as my "Mail home winter gear" location but It is getting later in the year. Thanks in advance for any advice.

skooch
05-08-2011, 10:50
Just want to say my heart goes out to you Fortis. Injury is my biggest fear. Thanks for the lesson to lighten up and slow down. Sharing your story does help others like me. I'm leaving on the 1st of June and am trying to work out a flip flop thu. I'm packed for summer only at this point to keep weight as low as possible. You should be fine this with a fleece under rain gear. Rock on!

Blissful
05-08-2011, 16:07
I'd think it would take at least 8 weeks for a fracture to heal. Then there is PT etc. I'm really surprised you could get back on in only one month with a fracture. (!)
I'd make it a 2 year journey, personally, and give it time to all heal up. Perhaps when healed go back where you left off and get to Harper's Ferry.

FORTIS
05-08-2011, 17:07
I'd think it would take at least 8 weeks for a fracture to heal. Then there is PT etc. I'm really surprised you could get back on in only one month with a fracture. (!)
I'd make it a 2 year journey, personally, and give it time to all heal up. Perhaps when healed go back where you left off and get to Harper's Ferry.

Blissful,

I first want to say congrats on your southbound finish. That's fantastic!!!

According to my doctor your are correct but if I leave towards the end of May it will have been around 6 weeks since I came off the trail. Everybody heals at different rates and I have always recovered fast from previous injuries. I know I'm risking further injury and I'm probably being a bit over optimistic but that's just me. I may not be so optimistic ;) once I remove the air cast and place weight on it but for now I'm going to at least keep dreaming. If I feel any discomfort at the site of the fracture or where the ligament damage occurred (with a loaded pack on) then I will not hit the trail. But if I don't then I'm planning to at least give it a shot. The trail will just have to serve as PT! I do appreciate your opinion though and once again congrats on the double thru :)

Any advice on the question I posted above regarding summer gear?

Skooch - Thanks for the advice and good luck on the flip flop. Are you going to keep a journal?

skooch
05-08-2011, 21:36
Well I signed up at Trailjournals.com but haven't written the first word in 6mos of planning. I'm not sure how I'd get it done on the trail so I'm bringing paper and pencil so my thoughts will be documented. I'm wondering how much I want to commit to something online. I guess I just want to leave the world behind and not feel obligated. I may mail home portions once a week. My husband and daughters could help me with thw online part. How about you?

One Half
05-08-2011, 21:52
Being that you are diabetic you may want to reconsider your abilities for this season with a lower leg injury already. While you fractured 1 tibia, both feet and ankles are swollen. I know many diabetics and they are always checking their feet for the slightest sign of blisters, swelling and infection as these things can be super dangerous to people with diabetes (as I am sure you are aware). Be careful and get yourself into condition for a long term hike before you start out again. Your buddy wouldn't want you to seriously and permanently damage yourself because you imposed a deadline on yourself.

birchy
05-08-2011, 22:01
I agree with creekdancer. I would start from trail days, that way you have some people around in case you reinjure yourself. Make up the rest later

I'm a local trail maint/monitor in the Michaux Sate Forest, PA. If any one is in need of help from PA/MD line north to Duncannon you can call me at 717-352-2279

ScottP
05-09-2011, 21:29
There's a lot of years to hike, and you only get one body. Let it heal.

Blissful
05-09-2011, 21:32
There's a lot of years to hike, and you only get one body. Let it heal.

Agree.... :)

HeartWalker
05-09-2011, 21:43
I broke my tibia in april 11 2010 on my thru. I was about where you were ( Little Laurel shelter ). I tried fiercely to go back last year and finish and my ankle would not let me. So It ried again this April and the ankle lasted a week before the pain was just to much. I know everyone is different but an ankle can take up to two years to heal. I will try again in 2012. Maybe the third time is the charm.Take care and good luck.

sarman
06-04-2011, 21:43
The swollen feet concern me. If it was one foot, ok, the fracture may play a part. Make sure you get a green light from your doctor, and take your time getting back in condition.