PDA

View Full Version : How "waterproof" is a ULA Circuit?

Buffalo Skipper
04-29-2011, 14:21
Just picked up a Circuit. Amazing pack. I am hoping to hit the trail with it over Memorial Day weekend (but will camp with it before then). How waterproof is this pack? Should I use a liner or pack cover to keep the gear inside dry? On more than one occasion I have hiked with my (now retired) Osprey Aether 70 in the rain and snow (without a pack cover), and it really took on the water.

Chomp09
04-29-2011, 14:29
Most packs are not waterproof, this includes the Circuit. You'll either want to use a pack cover or liner (my preference) to protect your gear.

That said, given the Circuit's general material, it should not increase significantly in weight when wet.

88BlueGT
04-29-2011, 14:46
+1 It's really not going to absorb much BUT its not waterproof, packcover or liner strongly suggested.

burger
04-29-2011, 17:14
It's not remotely waterproof. Anything more than a sprinkle, and the pack material will wet through and wick moisture inside. I'd suggest using a trash compactor bag as a liner--this will keep your gear completely dry. Pack covers still allow the back and bottom to get wet.

trailangelbronco
04-29-2011, 17:35
I use event sacks for clothes, sleeping bag and other articles. My Circut gets wet, but the articles stay dry in their bags and also keeps my bag organized.
Also, because the bags are roll up closures, I could drop my bag in a stream or fall in, and they will still stay dry.
Compactor bags or pack covers wont do that.

Out west, it is easy to fall during a stream crossing. Same thing in Maine.