PDA

View Full Version : Leki now has flick locks!

Amanita
04-30-2011, 11:55
I've seen a lot of recommendations for BD poles on the forums here, purely based on the superiority of flick locks vs the leki twist locks. Well it seems than leki has ceded to popular demand, as they're now making flick lock poles.

Just thought I'd mention it, as it eliminates what many consider to be the primary fault of lekis.

hikingshoes
04-30-2011, 12:04
I've seen a lot of recommendations for BD poles on the forums here, purely based on the superiority of flick locks vs the leki twist locks. Well it seems than leki has ceded to popular demand, as they're now making flick lock poles.

Just thought I'd mention it, as it eliminates what many consider to be the primary fault of lekis.

Thanks for passing the info on. That's why i havent picked up a pair. I really like me BD with the flick lock. Have a great day.HS

Elder
04-30-2011, 12:04
Actually, Leki's are called Speedlocks and are much stronger than the other external locks. 67kg vs 46kg...with 55kg being the standard to achieve.
We have also incorporated our shock system into a Speedlock pole!
Try www.leki.com (http://www.leki.com) for details..

Yes, I am the Leki guy.

hikingshoes
04-30-2011, 12:05
Thanks for passing the info on. That's why i havent picked up a pair. I really like me BD with the flick lock. Have a great day.HS

me= my...sorry

Northern Lights
04-30-2011, 12:07
I picked up a pair of BD as well this winter due to the flicklock system, and Leki wasn't revealing theirs unitl April. Still want the leki poles though.

skinewmexico
04-30-2011, 12:26
Never had a problem with my Lekis, except for leaving them leaning against the side of the truck when I decided not to take them on a day hike. I'm sure someone is getting great use out of them. I think most people on here buy some crap Walmart poles, and assume Leki has the same crappy locking mechanism. Guess I'll break down and order some more soon, even though I won't be able to drop the BD name.

trailangelbronco
04-30-2011, 16:40
I like my BD's alot, but am thinking about trying Leki out.

Kaptain Kangaroo
04-30-2011, 16:57

I have always considered the twist locking system on Lekis to be one of their biggest advantages. The system is incredibly strong, much better than any external locking system like on BD poles.
When I hike I have the confidence to place a lot of weight on my Leki poles, virtually all my body weight (+pack) when jumping puddles or streams, dropping down steep rocky slopes etc. It makes my hiking much faster & easier being able to use my poles this way & knowing that I can trust them not to collapse.

jeffmeh
04-30-2011, 17:33
I have BD's now, after one of the Leki twist locks failed on me near the summit of Guyot in the Whites. I have some knee problems from past sports injuries, and had my son not lent me one of his I would have been one unhappy hiker for the rest of the trip.

The Leki's were great until they failed, and they were not really repairable either in the field or in the shop. EMS let me swap them out for the BD's.

I'm happy to hear Leki has come out with this, as I had written them off, given my situation.

Lostone
04-30-2011, 19:05
You what bothers me when people talk about a product, one of the first thing anyone says about leki is they have a great warranty........

What that tells me is there is a lot of repairs going on..........

Leki guys BD guys......come on people they are just treking poles. Remember the day when they were not used at all.

Elder
04-30-2011, 19:44

Leki guys BD guys......come on people they are just treking poles. Remember the day when they were not used at all.

Actually, it's because thet touch the ground every step, or every other.
How many pairs of boots/ shoes to wear out a Leki?
Expect, with occasional care, new tips, no salt water...or lubricants,
about 5-6000 miles. Say a Triple Crown?

And at 46? or so, no, you do not remember when they were not used.
I have been selling them for 35 years and did not invent them. :rolleyes:

and Yes, I am the Leki guy. :welcome

jeffmeh
04-30-2011, 20:30
Actually, it's because thet touch the ground every step, or every other.
How many pairs of boots/ shoes to wear out a Leki?
Expect, with occasional care, new tips, no salt water...or lubricants,
about 5-6000 miles. Say a Triple Crown?

And at 46? or so, no, you do not remember when they were not used.
I have been selling them for 35 years and did not invent them. :rolleyes:

and Yes, I am the Leki guy. :welcome
I wish I knew about poles much earlier. It probably would have saved me a fair amount of wear and tear. The few times I saw them before 1990 it was usually a European out on the trail, and in my youth I could not understand why anyone would want/need them.

Fortunately, my son started with them early and it should serve him well. Ironically, he had an athletic injury in his early teens and that started him on the poles. Probably a good thing over the long term.

I should also add that our "home base" is the Whites, so the terrain can be relatively challenging. Without the poles, I would have a very difficult time on some of our trips, and probably could not do them at all without significant pain.

Blue Jay
05-01-2011, 08:06
You what bothers me when people talk about a product, one of the first thing anyone says about leki is they have a great warranty........

Just treking poles, how can you dare say that? No other "hiking product" is talked about, evaluated and worshiped. Just treking poles, oh the horror.

Mags
05-01-2011, 12:00
Just treking poles, how can you dare say that? No other "hiking product" is talked about, evaluated and worshiped. Just treking poles, oh the horror.

Read a stove, knife or water treatment thread sometime. :eek:

Anyway, I misread this thread and though it said "Leki now has Flint Locks!"

http://stevostoys.com/ZZZZTN%20LONG%20RIFLE%20AND%20HORN.jpg

That would keep some people away and/or make you fit in well at the Overland Shelter. ;) Be sure to wear a tricorne hat mentioned in a previous thread. (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1152617&postcount=9)

Bearpaw
05-01-2011, 12:20
There was a time when Leki US had a less than stellar service rep on the trail. In 1999, there were plenty of folks wearing out Lekis on the trail - which is natural for the sheer amount of use they get.

But the only way you could get a damaged pole section replaced was to find an outfitter on trail that would do a direct one-for-one replacement. I knew at least five hikers who had contacted Leki and set up having a pole section sent to a future post office under their warranty. Not once did they get a section that way.

During my hike, I bought a cheaper pair of Lekis (their Sport model). The lower four sections broke a total of six times from Delaware Water Gap to Katahdin. I kept repairing them with small metal gaskets from a hardware store and duct tape. When I got done hiking, I contacted Leki and they said send them in. So I did, and after a couple of weeks, I contacted them and they replied they didn't have them even though I had delivery confirmation that said they did. I tried to get my money back from USPS for the insurance I paid on them, but that only applied if they were damaged en route. I never got any thing back from Leki.

Needless to say, I've never paid money for a pair of Lekis since.

Now I've heard better things about Leki service in recent years. I know the Leki rep at Trail Days does incredible things for hikers. I won a pair of Leki Super Makalus which never broke once despite four seasons of hard use on and off trail under a heavy pack when I worked for NOLS. There are good products out there. But my own experience with Leki's warranty was less than satisfactory.

Rick500
05-01-2011, 12:55
I use my Leki poles every time I hike. Really looking forward to getting a pair with Speedlocks.

Elder has explained it to me a couple of times, and I know it's just me, but I just cannot seem to get the hang of the twist locks.

Speaking of which... can the Speedlocks be retrofitted on to existing poles that have twist locks?

HeartFire
05-01-2011, 13:11
The thing about the Leki speed lock is, you can tighten (or loosed) them withthe thumb screw. No need for a screw driver, so if it gets loose, and the pole collapses while hiking, just open the lock, tighten it by hand and continue on your way. I think all the other poles you have to get out a screw driver.

I just wish they would re-design the wrist straps so they were safer. I tore my rotator cuff when I fell and the pole jammed on a rock, my wrist was in the strap and my shoulder got yanked. Now I won't use the straps and I advise people against it.

Lostone
05-01-2011, 13:15
Well in the "IN" hiking circles Leki may have been the thing 30 years ago. Well I was a dumb farm kid that loved the outdoors. Didn't know I needed treking poles to be a hiker. I guess the thousands of miles I logged with out them are not valid.

Blue Jay
05-01-2011, 14:33
Read a stove, knife or water treatment thread sometime. :eek:

I used to but not anymore because no one give a crap if you carry them or not, much too boring.

Del Q
05-01-2011, 17:17
These are great poles, speed locks never failed, nice and light, solid straps, great gear.

Amanita
05-12-2011, 10:57
I LOVE my new speed lock lekis. I did have to tighten up the locks a little (turned clockwise with a fingernail or coin), but after that it's been smooth sailing. I have the women's "ultralites" with cork handles and no antishock.

88BlueGT
05-12-2011, 11:57
aw man now I'm excited. I can't wait until my leki's break so I can get new ones! lol

Cloudynesz
10-18-2011, 01:05
Love my BD trail, a very firm lock.

swjohnsey
10-22-2011, 21:22
Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

benji
12-27-2011, 03:56
twist locks are proven to slip less often than the speed locks. the only reason twist locks slip is due to user error. my Leki's have never failed in 8 years of 14ers in the rockies and most of the appalachia.