PDA

View Full Version : If you had 100$...

thepitts
04-30-2011, 13:00
So, I have all my gear set for my thru-hike and there is nothing I really "need."
But I have just received a fancy 100$ REI gift card and I don't have a clue what to use it for:-?.
So I ask you, if you had 100 dollars to spend on any non-essential hiking item(s) at REI, what would you get?

Bearpaw
04-30-2011, 13:01
Good merino wool socks, probably Smartwools. You'll wear out plenty of socks along the way. I'd want 3 sets of 3 before a thru-hike.

Panzer1
04-30-2011, 13:29
hold onto the card, then while on your thru when you realize you need something just call REI on your cell phone, and have it shipped to the nearest post office.

Panzer

thepitts
04-30-2011, 13:33
I'll admit, there is never any harm in a few more socks. Although, a back-up supply of cash sound like a good idea, too.

WingedMonkey
04-30-2011, 13:52
hold onto the card, then while on your thru when you realize you need something just call REI on your cell phone, and have it shipped to the nearest post office.

Panzer

Bingo......

Jersey Tim
04-30-2011, 14:33
Nailed it. If it's "non-essential", you're not going to want to carry its weight. However, it's a given that you're going to need to replace some gear as you go; a hundred bucks is more than enough for 2000mi. worth of socks, or most of the cost of fresh shoes/boots after you wear out the first pair.

jesse
04-30-2011, 14:54
you'll need more than one pair of shoes.

mweinstone
04-30-2011, 15:29
take the card to a place of peace and sit quietly holding it over a candle. watch it burn and as you do think about how valuble the lesson of not trying to store up treasures is. now go in peace and need. never again thinking how safe in your sox or extra cash you are, rather in wisedom.

or just buy something to make things rather than things made. like alot of exspensive cordage, or tons of zrest lite pads and make a buckminster fuller ball and donate it to the AT museum as a mobile to hang in the exhibit. get creative. take a bum in for a bumlift.

mweinstone
04-30-2011, 15:31
my kit is useless for the sake of a new packcover(55ltr) and balanclava. just sayin. im bummy.

MkBibble
04-30-2011, 15:50
you should have told him this BEFORE you told him to burn the card...

my kit is useless for the sake of a new packcover(55ltr) and balanclava. just sayin. im bummy.

thepitts
04-30-2011, 16:04
Mweinstone, I took your first set of advise to heart and now, sadly, one of your best hopes for any bummed gear now resembles a charred, smoldering lump of molten plastic.

Oh wait, these go my hope for any gear as well, crap.

tuswm
04-30-2011, 17:11
yea, you are going to need replacements.

Or you could upgrade something.
just go to the store and look around and see if anything seams that awesome to you. I recently decided I hated my foam pad. I checked out the neoair, neoair trekker, and the synmat ul7 sleeping pads. If I was doing 2k miles I would get the trekker.

Also I love having a cook set that I can COOK on.

Dogwood
04-30-2011, 17:17
Sounds like you are in a hurry to spend $100 on non essential items. Don't let that $100 REI Gift Card burn a hole in your pocket.

As you advance on your AT thru-hike, I'm willing to bet you that $100 Gift Card that gear will need replacing/repairing and/or you will seek to switch out to other gear. Your opinions on what gear is "needed" might/will? change! At those times that $100 will be of better use!

REI doesn't just sell hiking gear either. They also sell maps, food, books, batteries, medical supplies, gear repair supplies, gear cleaning supplies, orthotics, etc. Hold on to it for the time being!

Toolshed
04-30-2011, 20:00
Sell it here for $75 cash. Cash is good anywhere that REI giftcard is not accepted :)

Phoenix Firebird
04-30-2011, 20:36
I'd keep it. Wait till you need something along the trail/something breaks, have base camp or someone buy it for you with the card, and have them it mailed to you. I mean, you're bound to either break something, lose something, or just need new of something eventually!

Papa D
04-30-2011, 22:29
Man Panzer actually has the right answer one time

LIhikers
05-01-2011, 20:39
After you get those extra sox, use the change that's left for an extra pair of long shoe laces :)
Have a great hike!

88BlueGT
05-02-2011, 11:04
I agree with the people who said to save it

or sell it to me. $75 cash you'll have it in 30 seconds I'll paypal you right now!

sbhikes
05-02-2011, 20:13
Yeah. Emergency shoes on the trail cost me just about exactly $100.