PDA

View Full Version : Tornado aftermath in North Alabama

Freedom Walker
04-30-2011, 13:46
As most of you have heard, Alabama has had severe storm damage with over 200 deaths. The county I live in, Madison, has power out for almost everyone. I got a generator Thursday and is why I can get online. My house is okay and all my family, but I lost my biggest oak tree which is over 100 years old. Anyone need some firewood for next year. Seriously, my state is hurting and those of you who believe in prayer please join us for a day of prayer Sunday May 1st. Thanks, James

The Counselor
04-30-2011, 13:58
We are in Bham and somehow dodged them. But 25 miles on either side of us is utter devastation. I feel a little guilty leaving tomorrow to hike. I've never seen anything like this in my life.

Freedom Walker
04-30-2011, 19:19
We are in Bham and somehow dodged them. But 25 miles on either side of us is utter devastation. I feel a little guilty leaving tomorrow to hike. I've never seen anything like this in my life.

Our county and those beside us who are out of power are under curfew from 8pm each night until 5:30am. They arrested 8 people last night. They are saying some in our area may not get power until Tuesday or Wednesday. Never seen anything like this and hope to never again. Being an outdoorman and hiker, I was better prepared than most. We have been cooking meals out on the back porch on my coleman stove and I if I get time, I may try baking biscuits in a dutch oven in the morning. Now I am going to take a cold shower. The death count is now 249 with scores still missing.

Lostone
04-30-2011, 19:27
Lived thru a couple of tornados. Not fun for sure. Dutch oven....must be a scouter.

Mrs Baggins
04-30-2011, 19:58
We've been thru 2 tornadoes and 3 hurricanes in different states - terrifying and we only lost some trees. I can't begin to know or understand the pain, heartache and confusion the people that have lost so much must feel. I know if it were me I'd be closing my eyes and praying and hoping that when I opened them it would all be just fine. But of course it wouldn't be. :( Our prayers are with you all.

Trailweaver
05-01-2011, 02:32
My post appears to have been lost. . . I'll try again. If it turns out to post twice, I appologize in advance.

I've spent the last 4 days cleaning up from the tornados that hit our area. (Yes, there were numerous ones in our area - two touchdowns Wed. a.m., then again Wed. p.m.) I've helped clear debris, scrambled to find supplies for family and friends who didn't have batteries, food, ice, etc. I've hauled ice, food, drinks, gas, and finally! - a generator to family members without power since Wed. I am just grateful that my family is alive, and they still have homes. So many neighbors do not.

My hometown lost three manufacturing plants, three restaurants, the athletic facility, part of the high school, too many homes to number, and 36 (they think - search and rescue efforts are still going on) people. The loss of life is numbing, but there will also be the loss of jobs once this awful week is over.

If you can help in the clean up efforts, please volunteer, as every bit helps. If you cannot help in person, then please keep us in your prayers, as that counts too.

I helped in the cleanup after Katrina (my husband's family lives there) and the wreckage there was comparable to this - only difference I can see is that with Katrina, there was salt-water mud on everything. And it was considerably hotter at the time. It will take years to recover from this. Please don't forget us in this time.