PDA

View Full Version : Three Hundred Zeroes by Dennis Blanchard

STICK
04-30-2011, 20:49
I just finished reading this book and posted a little mini review of it over on my blog (http://sticksblog.com/2011/04/30/book-review-three-hundred-zeroes-by-dennis-r-blanchard/) and thought that I would just pass the word here.I am sure that most here already know of this book since K1 hangs out here anyway, but I still wanted to share. It really was a great book and I thoroughly enjoyed it! Thanks K1 for taking the time to share it with everyone!

As far as the book, Dennis tells a great story of his thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail (and yes, he hiked it all) in his book, Three Hundred Zeroes (http://threehundredzeroes.com/). Stories of stumbling upon bears or moose, in a hammock or on a trail, or even while showering. Throwing ham radio antennas up in trees in each state from beginning to end, and of course, the reason for his 300 Zero days. Dennis is a trooper for sure.

The book is a very easy and fun read, it actually flows from page to page and it can be quite hard to put down. This book doesn't read like a typical trail journal, and while it is, there is much more life in his story than just journal entries.

I would recommend this book to anyone, hikers and non hikers alike. But of course to those that plan to hike the trail...

Phoenix Firebird
04-30-2011, 21:05
Any other suggestions for good AT books to read? I'm always looking for more to add to my collection, and read.

STICK
04-30-2011, 21:37
I am about to start On the Beaten Path now. If you haven't read AWOL on the Appalachian Trail pick it up. Just Passin Thru is a great book as well.

Panzer1
04-30-2011, 22:21
books about hiking are boring. especially if it takes 180 days. And they have to tell you about every little thing that happened every day.

Panzer

Lemni Skate
04-30-2011, 22:44
First book I read on my kindle. It was great! I recommend it highly.

bk18
04-30-2011, 22:49
I just finished it. Thoroughly enjoyed it. I've also read "Becoming Odyssa" which is another great book.

Northern Lights
04-30-2011, 22:57
I have it downloaded on my Kobo, I have Becoming Odyssa, On the Beaten Path and Just Passin thru on my night stand.

DaveSail
05-05-2011, 21:05
The two by " The Barefoot Sisters " are well written . ( Both college
graduates ) . Lucy and Susan Letcher . " Isis " and " Jackrabbit " .
" Southbound " and " Walking Home " . They Yo - Yoed the AT
BAREFOOT ! ( Well , mostly ! ) So much for needing heavy leather boots for the snakes !!! They alternate chapters , so the books never get
dull . They are vey knowedgeable about the Flora and Fauna .

Published by STACKPOLE BOOKS

Skywalker
08-26-2011, 15:12
A long-forgotten book is a Journey Northward by Adrienne Hall (2003). She has a unique perspective and a writing background that make for an entertaining, informative tale. It helped me before my thru-hike. I think she now lives in Alaska.

Skywalker

perrito
08-26-2011, 15:17
A long-forgotten book is a Journey Northward by Adrienne Hall (2003). She has a unique perspective and a writing background that make for an entertaining, informative tale. It helped me before my thru-hike. I think she now lives in Alaska.

Skywalker
It's actually A Journey North (http://www.amazon.com/Journey-North-Womans-Hiking-Appalachian/dp/1929173059). I'll have to check that one out. Thanx!

Jim Adams
08-27-2011, 00:10
As Far As The Eye Can See by David Brill is excellent. Covers his thru hike in (i think) 1977...only book so far that made me "feel" the emotions from my hikes.

geek

MyName1sMud
08-30-2011, 17:42
How did no one mention A Walk in the Woods?

sure he didn't hike the whole trail... but man is he funny!

earlyriser26
08-30-2011, 18:04
At the beach in Oceanside, CA and just finished the 10th AT book I have read on Thru hikes. I still think the best is South by the Barefoot Sisters.

MyName1sMud
09-01-2011, 16:46
At the beach in Oceanside, CA and just finished the 10th AT book I have read on Thru hikes. I still think the best is South by the Barefoot Sisters.

I've been meaning to read that.

Guess it will be up after I finish AWOL on the AT and The Art of Racing in the Rain.

DapperD
09-01-2011, 20:26
Any other suggestions for good AT books to read? I'm always looking for more to add to my collection, and read."White Blaze Fever" was a good read in my opinion:http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/white-blaze-fever-bill-schuette/1100388997

rhjanes
09-02-2011, 09:31
I just finished "The Things you find on the Appalachain trail". Very good book, fun to read. the books listed above are all good. Jennifer's is also excellently done.

slbirdnerd
06-28-2013, 14:44

Skywalker

Sorry to revive such an old thread but stumbled upon it looking for reading suggestions. Skywalker's book was really great, too, ya'll! ;) I also really enjoyed "The Things You Find," I think that one is a sleeper. Three Hundred Zeroes was terrific. The guy who disses reading the books is ignorant. Thing or two to be learned from reading... Those who read up have better, more safe, more enjoyable hikes. I've learned a ton from all these authors.

Kerosene
06-29-2013, 13:28
I thought that Skywalker's second book, Highs and Lows on the PCT (http://www.amazon.com/Skywalker-Highs-Pacific-Crest-Trail/dp/1453862234/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372526782&sr=8-1&keywords=skywalker+pct), was a much better read than his first AT book. It was clear to me that his writing style had markedly improved. I'd recommend folks take a look at that one.