PDA

View Full Version : shelters and the tornados

tenn_hiker
04-30-2011, 21:00
i recently hiked from spring to rock gap in NC and was down there during all the tornados.. i was already past where most of the tornados hit on the A.T. but i heard a lot of rumors about shelters getting hit.. i heard woods hole shelter and low gap shelter got hit.. is that true? if it is i hope there werent any hikers on the trail at the time.. i talked to a few people who were at deep gap shelter the night of the storms.. i know a few people that could have been in that general area of the trail and havent heard anything about them since..

tenn_hiker
04-30-2011, 21:01
springer mountain*

topshelf
05-01-2011, 20:17
I don't know about these two shelters but Hurricane shelter and TRIMPI shelter in VA were just missed. My parents live within a mile(as a crow flies) of both and they had baseball sized hail at the house. A small tornado came down just over the hill from these near Sugar Grove.

scary night

4eyedbuzzard
05-01-2011, 20:24
Haven't seen any reports in the news, but I'd rather be in a shelter when high winds of any kins come through the woods than in a tent or other cloth shelter. Most shelters are built pretty sturdy and will survive limb and tree strikes and offer some protection.

Red Hat
05-02-2011, 00:47
springer Mtn shelter, woods hole shelter, Blood Mountain, and Low Gap shelters are all just fine, despite rumors otherwise. yes there was at least one tornado in the area Wednesday night, but no damage to any shelters, just trees down.

Roots
05-02-2011, 08:13
anyone know anything about the trail conditions between Partnership and Damascus?

Sheapr
05-05-2011, 18:51
High winds, torential rain, hail the size of quarters, heat lightning, eyebrow raising close flash bright lightning, the hail was heavy at times and sounded good on the shelter roof, so much rain that the tenters had about a half inch under their tents. 12 in shelter, 3 in hamocks, 6+ in tents, 1 in the hamock ran for cover in the shelter, I have a great video of it. Overall, everyone walked away with high spirts. It was a great night if u like bad weather.

I have pics, just no way of posting them.

Sheapr
05-05-2011, 18:54
High winds, torential rain, hail the size of quarters, heat lightning, eyebrow raising close flash bright lightning, the hail was heavy at times and sounded good on the shelter roof, so much rain that the tenters had about a half inch under their tents. 12 in shelter, 3 in hamocks, 6+ in tents, 1 in the hamock ran for cover in the shelter, I have a great video of it. Overall, everyone walked away with high spirts. It was a great night if u like bad weather.

I have pics, just no way of posting them.

That was Hawk mtn shelter last wed.