PDA

View Full Version : Gear advice for a newbie, please.

tolkien
04-30-2011, 21:42
I've decided that the reason I want to hike is to get away from luxuries and other bulls##t, and if the way I currently try to live is any judge I'll be fine on the trail. I really don't mind going without excess(read "any") creature comforts for long periods of time. I want to go ultralight because of the braging rights, but mainly because of the reduced knee strain and increased speed.

I've already got a nice light, cheap tent lined up (Eureaka Spitfire) and two Hammer HP1 hiking poles. I'm not going to take a camera, notebook, or camp stove, so I think I can keep my base weight under 15lbs.
I'd like recomendations on tents and sleeping bags. I'm 6'3'' so a bag is going to weight a bit no matter how light it is. I would prefer external frame, and synthetic bag. But if anything comes highly recomended, I'll look into it.
As far as footwear goes, this is the one area I'm not going ultralight: big heavy leather boots. I hurt my ankle fairly easy, and I'm afraid of being bitten by a snake.

DaveSail
04-30-2011, 22:02
If you study the habits / types / likely areas / habitats and use common
- sense , snake - bite is not a major problem . Probably more likely to be bitten on a hand then a foot . Would you wear leather gloves ? An ankle that gets hurt easily and frequently is another matter ! Even without a pack , the trail is hard on ankles , both going up and going down !
David

drastic_quench
04-30-2011, 22:03
Your ankle would be better off in comfortable athletic brace and wearing trail runners instead of 70s style hiking boots.

STICK
05-02-2011, 10:37
If you want to brag about being ultralight you gota get that baseweight below 10 pounds. There are lighter tents out there. Check out the new Six Moon Designs Skyscape tent. Similar design but lighter. Also, a decent down bag is not too heavy even in a long.

tammons
05-02-2011, 19:06
Use the 6# big 4 and 6# for everything else rule.
That will put you at 12# base weight.

You should be able to hit that with a spitfire if you buy titanium stakes
if you get an UL pack, bag and pad.

That said at 6-3 your bag will probably hit the walls of a spitfire so could wet out
but it is a good bang for the buck. If you do a little work to the fly you can use it as a hoodless poncho which saves some weight.

If I remember right I got mine down to 35oz or so with titanium stakes and ditching the bags for cuben bags.

35 oz tent
24 oz mariposa pack or a golite jam which stripped out is lighter
6 oz blue pad
11 oz thermarest prolite small
21 oz golite ultra 20 quilt

6# even and you are half way there.

hike500
05-03-2011, 02:38
and I'm afraid of being bitten by a snake.[/QUOTE]

Leave the snake bite kit at home, I know you have one! But they are utterly useless.

sixguns01
05-03-2011, 08:46
I've decided that the reason I want to hike is to get away from luxuries and other bulls##t, and if the way I currently try to live is any judge I'll be fine on the trail. I really don't mind going without excess(read "any") creature comforts for long periods of time. I want to go ultralight because of the braging rights, but mainly because of the reduced knee strain and increased speed.

I've already got a nice light, cheap tent lined up (Eureaka Spitfire) and two Hammer HP1 hiking poles. I'm not going to take a camera, notebook, or camp stove, so I think I can keep my base weight under 15lbs.
I'd like recomendations on tents and sleeping bags. I'm 6'3'' so a bag is going to weight a bit no matter how light it is. I would prefer external frame, and synthetic bag. But if anything comes highly recomended, I'll look into it.
As far as footwear goes, this is the one area I'm not going ultralight: big heavy leather boots. I hurt my ankle fairly easy, and I'm afraid of being bitten by a snake.

Tent - Gossamer Gear The One. Fully Enclosed and weighs 1 pound

Sleeping Bag- Should be under 2lbs Try Montbell Hugger UL Series

Pack- Should be under 2lbs as well. I like Golite Jam2 and Pinnacle

Stove- I love Trail Designs Caldera Keg-H Systems. With Fuel for weekend is around 8oz

Pads- Z Rest, KookaBay Inflatables, POE inflatables

Trail Runners- if you get your weight down, you don't need all the heavy foot gear

For me, the rest is all personal. I cut a lot of basic weight so I add a few luxuries, but that is all personal preference.

I have crappy knees and when I made the switch to UltraLight a year ago, they have not been bad at all. Actually very little pain if any.

Have Fun

88BlueGT
05-03-2011, 09:00
Just make sure to check out your options before committing to anything. It sucks when you buy a tent and than a week later you discover something PERFECT for yourself and you just bought it in the heavier, more expensive version.

mstone
05-08-2011, 19:26
Regarding footwear, I'm a huge proponent of wearing the lightest that you feel comfortable with. Because I have strong ankles, I like Ascics running shoes. However, if I wanted more support, I'd go with running shoes + ankle braces as suggested above. I'm not sure anything short of snake gaiters will protect you from a bite. Unless you're bushwacking, you are more likely to scare the snake off before you even see it. I'd go with what you are most comfortable with, but I can't tell you how nice it is to have fresh feat even after 20 miles. Good luck!

Skid.
05-10-2011, 21:49
I've heard it said that one pound on your foot is like carrying an extra 5 punds in your pack. Just think of how many times you are going to pick up those boots and put them down with each step. If not convinced, try a two day shake-down hike with a pair of trail runners on, and you will not go back to those heavy leather boots.

tammons
05-15-2011, 14:28
I've heard it said that one pound on your foot is like carrying an extra 5 punds in your pack. Just think of how many times you are going to pick up those boots and put them down with each step. If not convinced, try a two day shake-down hike with a pair of trail runners on, and you will not go back to those heavy leather boots.

Yes, that came from way back I think in the 80's maybe.

Funny though I walk a lot for exercise, and bought some SUL
runners that are probably lighter than my flip flops.

Of course I wear ankle weights to get more of a work out !!

LOL