PDA

View Full Version : Making my own tarp

FireInMyBones
05-01-2011, 09:34
I have the HH Ultralite Backpacker. Before the flaming starts, I've spent my money and have to use what I have (and like by the way).

I would like to make my own tarp to replace the dinky A-sym tarp with a larger one. I am considering something that could also be used as a solo tarp when I want to go without the hammock.

My questions are as follows:

-What would the best dimensions be?

-What would the best fabric strength-weight-cost option?

-Any patterns available?

Thank you all in advance for your help.

------------

I am also looking to lighten my hammock with other easy mods. Any suggestions that are low cost?

bigcranky
05-01-2011, 09:46
The diamond fly is a pretty good shape, and requires only two tie outs to the ground. You could make a larger version out of silnylon and get better coverage.

Wise Old Owl
05-01-2011, 09:48
OK lets set that flaming bonfire...

When I took the tarp of the HH and laid it out it turned out to be a parrallelogram. Although I to am in the same process of discovery, I was going to copy that size and add five inches to all edges. I will loose an inch with the foldover to get sewn edge.

But keep in mind after testing in a down poor the HH tarp is the right size.

Start here.....

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=85

grayfox
05-01-2011, 10:07
You could start from scratch and sew a new tarp of sil nylon. Check out some of tarps you would buy for size options and configurations.

Or, consider adding to the tarp you have. You could add strips along the sides or triangles that would make it square. Or, you could add some mosquito netting, which actually has some wind and rain resistance value. This would use the old tarp for structure and the new parts for extra protection.

FireInMyBones
05-01-2011, 12:28
When I tarp camp with a buddy, I use a 10'x10' and tie it with the middle section of the tarp to a tree or hiking pole. I then use a tie out on either side of the tree/pole, one on each other corner and to the other end in the middle. I like this method and it has kept me real dry. I would love to have the flexibility to use my new homemade tarp for my HH or when I choose to solo tarp camp.
Sewing out of sil nylon I believe I can do. Is there any special concerns other than using 100% polyester thread? I believe I would need some kind of seam sealer as well.

grayfox
05-01-2011, 15:54
My method of tarp making:

10X10 Flat(non-catenary)

7 yards fabric-sil nylon, coated nylon, or canvas-60 inches wide
1 yard same or slightly heavier fabric for reinforcement (need not be waterproof)
Grossgrain ribbon 3 yards? various widths 5/8 is good
Thread of contrasting color
Permanent marker, crayon or chalk
Wood burning tool with pointed tip and cutting board
Metal yardstick (Measure twice-Cut once)
Scissors
Large flat surface to work on
Tape measure (12 foot metal retractable)
Thread I use nylon, but poly is ok, any seam that matters will be sealed
Basic sewing machine

Examine the fabric. Look for flaws and hold the fabric up to the light to find any thin places in the weave or waterproof coating. If the fabric will shrink, like cotton, or is not clean, wash it in the hottest water you would use for your tarp when finished. Dry, and iron if necessary. Decide if you will keep or remove the selvege edge. Remove it if the fabric will not lie flat or if the edge is uneven. To cut nylon and grossgrain ribbon, use the woodburning tool on the cutting board with the metal yardstick as a guide-practice on scrap material. Measure the fabric and plan your tarp on paper. If there is a definite front and back to the fabric, mark it so you will be able to match sides later.

Fold the fabric in half and cut it to make the two halves of the tarp. Be careful to make this cut square to the long edges of the fabric. At this point the exact measurement does not matter much. You will have two pieces of fabic that measure in length, twice the width. Approximately 5X10. If you have extra length and you don't want a larger tarp, save some fabric for stuff sacks. Sew these two pieces together, as they lay, along one long edge with about one half inch seam allowance. You can use pins in the hem as this will later be sealed anyway.

Stitch length can vary with where you are sewing and the strength and thickness of the fabric. Just do not place the stitches too close together as this will weaken the fabric and act as a cut in the fabric. Looser is better than too tight.

Open the two pieces and lay the seam allowance down to one side of the tarp. Stitch it down-a zigzag stitch works here if you have it. Then fold the seam allowance back to the other side of the tarp and stitch carefully through the three layer zee of tarp left, seam allowance, tarp right. You will want to make two lines of stitches that will look like your blue jeans when you are finished. This is a flat felled seam and if you already have a method for sewing it, do that. Sew slowly and try to make it neat and flat as this will be your ridgeline. The hardest part is done. You now have a tarp that needs only to have the edges finished.

Measure your tarp and decide what depth you will use for the hem along the edges. This hem will provide the strength of the tarp edge and on sil nylon I use about a 5/8 inch hem with three layers, fold the edge in and then fold it again and sew the hem close to the inside edge. You will want to make sure that your tarp is square and equal on all sides and you can use the hemming process to compensate for any problems at this point.

Once hemmed, you can add any reinforcement patches you think you will need at corners, edges and in the center. Do not fold the patches into the hem as rain and condensation will be trapped and not drain away.

Sew loops or ties at the corners and in the center of each edge. Place extra loops as needed, at least one every two feet along the edge. You can sew loops to a reinforcement patch and then sew the patch in the center of each quarter of the tarp. Seam seal the stitching for the patch. You do not need to seal the hemed edges. You will want to place loops or ties along the ridgeline. You can sew them directly to the center seam and then seal the seam. You might want some loops on the underside as well.

That is how I do it.
Hope this helps, grayfox

FireInMyBones
05-01-2011, 18:19
Thank you, grayfox for the help. I am thinking maybe a 7'x8'? Would that be enough protection/ offer enough living space under the hammock or be to small for a solo tarp when sleeping on the ground?

grayfox
05-01-2011, 18:49
I have made quite a few tarps for myself and friends. I usually use a modified flying diamond pitch. I find that the best size for one person is about 8X8 and for two 9X9 or a bit bigger. Smaller than that is a bit skimpy on protection and larger is heavier and hard to pitch, though more versitile. I like square tarps for the no-brainer factor of all sides the same. On the other hand, some people get by with a poncho sized tarp just fine.

Under a hammock is lots of space when you put the hammock over its ridgeline. And remember that you don't have to set it up exactly like the picture. It still works when one side is lower into the wind or the whole thing is set near to the ground for extra wind protection. Set up your hammock and measure the exposed ridgeline then make your tarp so it extends a bit further than that in at least one dimension. My hammock tarp is stop sign shaped and it sets up as a solo tarp very well.

Rambler
05-01-2011, 20:26
Two siters for you to look at tarps:
http://jacksrbetter.com

http://tothewoods.net

For Hammock camping, consider making the seam of your tarp along the diagonal. If your tarp is a rectangle the center seam over the hammock wil be along the diagonal.

Silnylon works well, spinnaker cloth is hard to find now.

FireInMyBones
05-01-2011, 22:48
The Black Cat tarp looks like it might be what I'm looking for. Thanks for pointing me to Jeff's site.

Doc Mike
05-02-2011, 12:12
Have you considered using your 10 x 10 tarp that you already have. I use 11 x 10 jrb tarp with my hammock. I am most often hiking with my son and we can both sit under the tarp for meals or cards in the rain.

FireInMyBones
05-02-2011, 16:50
I am actually about to walk out and try staking it out now. The only disadvantage is weight. It is an older tarp and weighs about 29oz and packs about the size of my HH.

I am also looking at buying a tarp if the materials cost is close enough. Any experience with the OES MacCat? I'm looking at the micro or standard.