PDA

View Full Version : Mountains in Idaho may not open this year

trailangelbronco
05-01-2011, 16:16
Still snowing and alot of snow in the mountains in Idaho. Sawtooths still at peak snow level, and more is coming.

It was 28 degrees early this morning in Meridian outside my home. In MAY!

Normal years, I can get into the Sawtooths hiking in late June-early July. Looking like late July early august, now.

We are due to have some serious flooding out west this year.

Old Hillwalker
05-01-2011, 17:02
I used to live in Eagle and know what you mean. I'll be back there around the Sawtooths and Stanley in Late July. Maybe it will be hikable by then.

map man
05-01-2011, 18:33
Any word on how much snow the Wind Rivers or Tetons have gotten this year? I'm planning to hike there in early August.

skinewmexico
05-01-2011, 21:52
Must be nice to be getting any kind of moisture.

Feral Bill
05-02-2011, 00:22
Same up here in eastern Washington and northern Idaho. May be able to hike in the mountains sometime in July. When(?) it gets hot, there may be some ugly flooding in places.

trailangelbronco
05-02-2011, 02:30
Any word on how much snow the Wind Rivers or Tetons have gotten this year? I'm planning to hike there in early August.

Early Aug you should be ok, but depends on how high you plan to go. Last year, we tried to do the climbers route to sheep lake in the 7 devils, and couldn't summit. At 9,500 ft above windy saddle there was just too much snow and not enough rope. we had to take the trail 8.6 miles and lots of ups and downs. Not sure if that section ever even melted last year.

Sawtooth Lake was still half frozen over in early July, at 8,700 FT.

buz
05-02-2011, 10:49
Skinew,

Cmon up to cleveland, rainest April on record, going back 130+ years. If you are golfer, need ark and floating golf balls to play any course around here. Mowing lawn next to impossible, grass loves the cool, wet weather, mower needs a life jacket, lol.