PDA

View Full Version : Snake question???

JERMM
05-01-2011, 16:49
what kind of snakes are these, besides dead? :-?

bigmac_in
05-01-2011, 16:51
poor little snakes

Mrs Baggins
05-01-2011, 16:58
Wow, did you kill those? The heads are so destroyed that it's hard to see whether or not they had the bulging cheeks of a poisonous snake or the flat sided cheeks of a harmless snake.

bigmac_in
05-01-2011, 17:00
Duh - they are obviously Copperheads. Don't need the head to see those markings.

Lugnut
05-01-2011, 17:00
From the markings looks like copperheads. Smashed copperheads. :eek:

Cool AT Breeze
05-01-2011, 17:04
They are now pretty much harmless.

bigmac_in
05-01-2011, 17:07
From the markings looks like copperheads. Smashed copperheads. :eek:

That would be a cool name for a band. . .

Lugnut
05-01-2011, 17:09
They are now pretty much harmless.

For those that say the only good snake is a dead snake then these qualify as very good snakes.

Dances with Mice
05-01-2011, 17:25
They're not dead. They're just resting.

Three out of four look pretty healthy. But that fourth one looks kinda skinny.

Mrs Baggins
05-01-2011, 17:27
http://www.tswildlife.com/copperhead.jpg

Yep.

nufsaid
05-01-2011, 17:54
These look like good eats if you can deal with the bones.

nufsaid
05-01-2011, 18:03
Adult copperheads mostly eat mice. http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/ReptilesAmphibians/Facts/FactSheets/Northerncopperhead.cfm

Maybe they would be the answer to the mice problem in shelters?

Bearpaw
05-01-2011, 18:16
Adult copperheads mostly eat mice. http://nationalzoo.si.edu/Animals/ReptilesAmphibians/Facts/FactSheets/Northerncopperhead.cfm

They would also be the answer to the hiker problem in a lot of shelters.

44terryberry
05-01-2011, 18:19
Northern Copperhead.leave `em alone, and they`ll go home...

nufsaid
05-01-2011, 18:31

Multipurpose items are great.

Mrs Baggins
05-01-2011, 18:49

I've heard that if there are no mice at a shelter, it's because there's a copperhead nest under the shelter or under the fire pit. Personally, I'll take the mice.

Toolshed
05-01-2011, 18:59
I've heard that if there are no mice at a shelter, it's because there's a copperhead nest under the shelter or under the fire pit. Personally, I'll take the mice.
There could be a myriad of reasons for no mice, but one possible reason it could be due to snakes. It doesn't have to be copperheads it could be a black rat snake.

johnnybgood
05-01-2011, 19:00
So what's the story behind these dead copperheads JERMM ? Curious minds want to know ... you know ?

C Seeker
05-01-2011, 19:06
Copperheads, thank you for killing them. Snakes my one and only animal/ reptile fear. But across most people and say that they have slept with a nest of them will on benadryl. Not good combination, thank goodness I didn't see them and they didn't get near me (that I know of)

But they are poisonness

Mrs Baggins
05-01-2011, 19:53
There could be a myriad of reasons for no mice, but one possible reason it could be due to snakes. It doesn't have to be copperheads it could be a black rat snake.

I'll still take the mice. :D

Ashevillian
05-01-2011, 20:19
Copperheads, thank you for killing them. Snakes my one and only animal/ reptile fear. But across most people and say that they have slept with a nest of them will on benadryl. Not good combination, thank goodness I didn't see them and they didn't get near me (that I know of)

But they are poisonness

I don't like snakes either, but the massiive killing of them makes no sense. Sorry to see them go.

Tipi Walter
05-01-2011, 20:31

There's nothing much worse than snake killers, unless it be the backpacking alcoholics. But I put the snake killers at a higher level of the Just Plain Useless. If ya can't take the reptiles, stay home on the couch and out of the woods.

Rain Man
05-01-2011, 21:51
There's nothing much worse than snake killers, unless it be the backpacking alcoholics. But I put the snake killers at a higher level of the Just Plain Useless. If ya can't take the reptiles, stay home on the couch and out of the woods.

You said it.

Rain Man

sheepdog
05-01-2011, 22:07
they are a renewable resource

Many Walks
05-01-2011, 23:20
That's sad. I just don't see the point in going to the woods to enjoy nature and then killing anything that moves...especially if you don't know what it is and how it fits into the ecology.

emerald
05-01-2011, 23:35
[Copperheads] are a renewable resource.

Yes, but they don't multiply like rabbits and mice which is why they are protected in some places including Pennsylvania.

Rain Man
05-02-2011, 03:26
Yes, but they don't multiply like rabbits and mice which is why they are protected in some places including Pennsylvania.

See now, I thought he meant snake killers. They seem to be in limitless, brainless supply.

Rain Man

Roots
05-02-2011, 08:10
if I had them around my house like that...I would not hesitate to kill them!

Pedaling Fool
05-02-2011, 08:12
I met a homeless guy in 2008 that talked about how he killed copperheads and rattlesnakes. I gave him a piece of my mind of how ****ed up that was, but I don't think he got it:mad:

emerald
05-02-2011, 10:47
if I had them around my house like that...I would not hesitate to kill them!

Property owners do not own, nor are they permitted to do as they wish with native snakes naturally occurring on their own property.

The various States employ trained people to come catch them and release them at more appropriate locations.

Rain Man, care to give us a brief history of the legal basis for what I just posted?

kanga
05-02-2011, 11:05
what kind of snakes are these, besides dead? :-?

That's sad. I just don't see the point in going to the woods to enjoy nature and then killing anything that moves...especially if you don't know what it is and how it fits into the ecology.

i'm sorry. at what location did you see woods? i saw pavement, most likely a driveway. if i had copperheads that size, hell any size, around my house, i'm chopping off their heads. now i know who to send the pictures to..

JERMM
05-02-2011, 16:04
A photo was posted a question was asked and answered.

Without knowing the reason behind killing the snakes in the photo some posters assumed they were killed in the woods. In the photo I only see what appears to be a driveway maybe a patio or walkway, possibly near a child’s play area or residential entrance. It’s even possible the snakes were in a house, like between the walls or attic, it happens and was the case at my great-grandmothers house. A den/nest of snakes between the house wall and fireplace, a few found their way inside HER home. The snakes crawled across HER floor as she sat on HER couch inside HER home.

Cool AT Breeze
05-02-2011, 16:42
They needed killin

JERMM
05-02-2011, 16:45
They needed killin

she did by beheading them

Cool AT Breeze
05-02-2011, 16:47
Old folks rule.

Mrs Baggins
05-02-2011, 16:56
We are being besieged by aggressive wasps and hornets. I am aggressively emptying cans of Wasp and Hornet Killer on them. MY house MY yard MY deck MY safety and that of my family and friends. I'll do the same to any poisonous snake that shows it's fangs here. If you're someone who wants to just live with them, go for it. But if a poisonous snake crawls into a campground or shelter while I'm there he's absolutely dead. But hey! If you don't care when they crawl into your sleeping bag/tent/shelter space that's your decision. The rest of us will just ignore the screams.

88BlueGT
05-02-2011, 18:03
Who cares about laws, a poisoness snake on your property should be a dead poisoness snake. And what about poaching? Am I the only one who goes panda hunting?

Hikerhead
05-02-2011, 18:10
you're such a lovely person, sog.

What's a sog?

J5man
05-02-2011, 18:10
You're reading an A.T. forum. One might reasonably assume the copperheads were seen by a hiker on or near the A.T. Otherwise, the post shouldn't be in the wildlife forum.

You know, were you do as you've announced, it wouldn't break my heart to learn you got bit. In fact, you'd deserve it.

Really, dude?! C'mon!

Mizirlou
05-02-2011, 18:17
What's a sog?
A jiggly wet dangler. The kind you can’t flick off your finger after a bout of nose picking.

And yeah, someone's got their finger on the "report abuse" button and reasonable posts have been deleted.

JERMM
05-02-2011, 18:18
What's a sog?

i can't swear to it, but i think sog stands for shades of grey or gray
and i think that's what emerald used to go by on this forum

Mrs Baggins
05-02-2011, 19:13
For always and forever there will be the "if we be nice to them they be nice to us" fools when it comes to wildlife. Wildlife doesn't care about being nice. And it truly doesn't care what you think. Ask the guy who was eaten by grizzlies. He loved the grizzlies. He said he understood them. He was nice to them. They would know that. Sure thing.

Wombat Farm
05-02-2011, 19:21
What I want to know is...who the hell killed them so frigging brutally? They should realize snakes only go after humans when they are threatened. And they eat mice! I live in a country now where every snake is poisonous and I'm certainly not going to go around killing them...they are a "pleasure" to see in the wild.

Wombat Farm
05-02-2011, 19:24
For always and forever there will be the "if we be nice to them they be nice to us" fools when it comes to wildlife. Wildlife doesn't care about being nice. And it truly doesn't care what you think. Ask the guy who was eaten by grizzlies. He loved the grizzlies. He said he understood them. He was nice to them. They would know that. Sure thing.

But the question is...did the grizzlies want to be his friend? I think not...wild animals want to be left alone just like we want to be left alone by them. Think of it...the kid who was mauled in NJ a few years ago by the black bear...after his father told his kid to feed the "friendly bear" a bagel. Come on.

sheepdog
05-02-2011, 19:24
Lots of jumping to conclusions around here. Dead snakes on a concrete driveway. Must have been killed in the woods. Hahahahahahahaha

JERMM
05-02-2011, 19:25

ahahahaha

then it's true...the copperhead that left a fang mark in my hiking boots a few years ago didn't care about me...my feelings are so hurt ;)

emerald
05-02-2011, 19:37
Another thread with missing posts, some of which are quoted.

What exactly does this thread contribute anyway other than to provide those with nothing better to do pointless entertainment at the expense of something we supposedly value?

sheepdog
05-02-2011, 19:42

What exactly does this thread contribute anyway other than to provide those with nothing better to do pointless entertainment at the expense of something we supposedly value?
never underestimate the value of pointless entertainment :banana

emerald
05-02-2011, 19:45
Are you suggesting pointless entertainment at the expense of the A.T. is more important than the A.T. itself?

I wonder, would it be possible to reroute the A.T.'s 50 miles through the county where I was born and choose to live through your back yard instead?

JERMM
05-02-2011, 19:46
What I want to know is...who the hell killed them so frigging brutally? They should realize snakes only go after humans when they are threatened. And they eat mice! I live in a country now where every snake is poisonous and I'm certainly not going to go around killing them...they are a "pleasure" to see in the wild.

brutally? looks to me like the heads were cut off, as far as I know that's the quickest way to kill a snake

how do you know humans were not threatened, did you not read post #32?

emerald
05-02-2011, 19:53
Some of us read everything before posting. Maybe #32 does not move us to stop posting any more than you were moved you to consult a field guide.

Instead, you started what you now choose to whine about. This thread ought to have a lock. As you say, your question was answered.

sheepdog
05-02-2011, 19:54
Are you suggesting pointless entertainment at the expense of the A.T. is more important than the A.T. itself?

I wonder, would it be possible to reroute the A.T.'s 50 miles through the county where I was born and choose to live through your back yard instead?

you think the AT lives or dies because of this website??

please

JERMM
05-02-2011, 19:55

yet you're participating

emerald
05-02-2011, 20:02
You think the AT lives or dies because of this website?

No, but what occurs here does influence to some extent what happens in real space. It's not completely irrelevant and it does serve to inform those who may wish visit what kind of people they can expect to meet.

JERMM
05-02-2011, 20:03
Some of us read everything before posting. Maybe #32 does not move us to stop posting any more than you were moved you to consult a field guide.

Instead, you started what you now choose to whine about. This thread ought to have a lock. As you say, your question was answered.

i don't see anything in any of my posts that indicates i'm whining

and i see no need for this thread to be locked, if you don't like the direction it has taken simply stop reading and posting

sheepdog
05-02-2011, 20:04
No, but what occurs here does influence to some extent what happens in real space. It's not completely irrelevant and it does serve to inform those who may wish visit what kind of people they can expect to meet.
sometimes people just have fun :)

emerald
05-02-2011, 20:08
Go find a field with lots of deer ticks and roll in them.:)

JERMM
05-02-2011, 20:09
sometimes people just have fun :)

and some people take things way too seriously...the photo may have been photoshopped...it would be easy enough to do just to get people going...:rolleyes:

Lugnut
05-02-2011, 20:10

Someplace for you to bloviate? :rolleyes:

sheepdog
05-02-2011, 20:17

and we were getting along so well, before now.:p

bigmac_in
05-02-2011, 20:19

But that might kill some ticks. We can't have that, now can we.

Roots
05-02-2011, 20:21

you are a funny lil person aren't you....