PDA

View Full Version : Overnighter in SNP

Rocket Jones
05-01-2011, 16:56
Two friends and I did a quick loop out of Elkwallow on Friday and Saturday. We caught the AT to the Neighbor Mountain Trail, then camped near the bottom of Jeremy's Run. The next day we finished up Jeremy's Run and headed home. The weather was beautiful even though the night was a little colder than we'd anticipated (mid 30's). Even so, everyone slept warm.

On the AT, we met three section hikers, two NOBO and one SOBO. One guy was doing all of VA in April, another all of SNP, and the third was just hiking as far as he could in the time he had. Those were the only folks we saw on the trails on Friday. That was one reason why we started then instead of Saturday.

The water in Jeremy's Run is really high and moving right now. The trail crosses the creek "at least a dozen times" (more than 15 I think) and a lot of the rock hopping that might be possible later in the Summer was just wishful thinking. Ice water is refreshing, right?

Being one of the more popular trails in the park, Saturday was like an interstate on the trail. One hiking group of at least 20 passed, five or six fishermen, and all told there were easily 50 others we met or who passed us. I'll admit it, I was envious of their tiny day packs.

It was beautiful, we had a great time and I learned a few things about myself, my gear and packing (we all brought way too much food). Good times. Photos here (http://www.flickr.com/photos/9944705@N05/sets/72157626621209710).

Ulfhedinn
05-04-2011, 01:28
Easily one of my favorite trails in the park. I've only ever run into maybe 4-5 other hikers combined in about the the same number of times I've hiked the Jeremy's Run/ Knob/Neighbor Mountain area. Must just be luck!

earlyriser26
05-04-2011, 05:58
sounded like fun. Heading for Front Royal tommorow for a two day hike. Hope the weather holds up. Raining here with frost warning, lovely......

ATsawyer
05-04-2011, 18:14
PATC is using Jeremy's Run for a Rigging Workshop project in June. We won't get 15 stream crossings built, but some will be improved and everybody will learn how to use a Griphoist. Of course any stream crossing is only as good as the next "100 year" storm.