PDA

View Full Version : hiking with a snake

mweinstone
05-01-2011, 17:28
so your hiking and a hiker tags along with you for a few days uninvited cramping your style. your way too shy and polite and unearved to simply say kindly you need to hike alone. what to do?

shaman.in.a.yurt
05-01-2011, 17:35
wake up before sunrise and disappear

10-K
05-01-2011, 17:57
so your hiking and a hiker tags along with you for a few days uninvited cramping your style. your way too shy and polite and unearved to simply say kindly you need to hike alone. what to do?

You're on a roll friend.... :)

But to answer your question - Charlie Sheen is the best defense for a good offense.

WingedMonkey
05-01-2011, 18:19
A short story about your time in prison and the things you miss about it.

44terryberry
05-01-2011, 18:20
eat lotsa beans,and then hike in front of him next day

stranger
05-02-2011, 00:04
Stop for the day...don't unpack, when they go for water keep hiking as far as you can, the next day pull a 30...problem solved!

Toolshed
05-02-2011, 07:14
Stop and Yell at trees for no apparent reason.
Every now and again, open your backpack, look inside and whisper "are you OK"
Stand in a corner at shelters and continously whisper "no mama I'm sorry about baby brother, I won't swing my axe anymore"

mweinstone
05-02-2011, 07:23
10k what do you mean? i allways have this problem. and im fast and strong. all that happens when you out hike the guy is eventually, weeks later maby, after only a couple zeros you took, he reapears huffing and puffing aand haveing hiked thru nights and zeros and now greets you with a smile and a ,"matthewski! i been chasein you for 2 weeks! whats up? how the hell are you?!". and it starts again. were not talking about anyone here, were talking about stuck like glue folks who attatch themselves to us famouse people who may have a giving problem and then its like you fed a bear and you shouldnt have. this is the serious question. whats the answer 10k? i do want your advice.

mweinstone
05-02-2011, 07:30
wanna clarafy, sorry. so wish i could spell when im being serious. listen, i realize not being to generous with strangers and shutting up more and keeping to myself would be a good start. i see how my friends walk down the trail. but im not so self controlled. i treat everyone lie my brother and this action of mine makes moochers sticky and begin mooching in overdrive. its litteraly a feeding the bears situation but with a very intellegent bear who is my brother and whom i believe is my charge to keep.

10-K
05-02-2011, 07:50
Have you tried saying that you wanted to hike alone for a while?

mweinstone
05-02-2011, 07:57
yes. once. after a month of being cramped. worked fine. just ruined every day getting up the courrage and made me feel uncomfortable dawn the trail when our paths crossed. he was nice and fun for a few days it just wasnt my style to be with folks much loger at one time.i need to learn how to avoid this in the first place.

4eyedbuzzard
05-02-2011, 22:43
Ask them for money - more every day. They'll leave.

Lilred
05-02-2011, 22:59
Ask them for money - more every day. They'll leave.

Good answer!! LOL

Different Socks
05-02-2011, 22:59
After hiking the 500+ miles on the CDT in New Mexico, I wandered into a campground and met my first fellow thruhiker. By the next morning he had made it very clear that he enjoyed his aloneness and wanted to keep it that way.

trailangelbronco
05-03-2011, 00:16
Hike the Idaho Centennial trail. Will be alone the whole way

Jonnycat
05-04-2011, 14:18
A short story about your time in prison and the things you miss about it.

LOL!

I have a rule about hiking with others, and it involves not doing it, unless it's a chick, cuz the chicks dig me.

JAK
05-04-2011, 14:24
No easy answer. Try to hike in your own space even if he's there I guess. Share your food until its gone, then hike a few more days without food and see if he learns something.

Spokes
05-04-2011, 15:04
Continuously step on the back of the persons shoe as they hike along and,
Keep repeating yourself,
Keep repeating yourself,
Keep repeating yourself,
Keep repeating yourself,
Keep repeating yourself,
Keep repeating yourself,
Keep repeating yourself,
Keep repeating yourself,
Keep repeating yourself,
Keep repeating yourself,

JAK
05-04-2011, 15:15
... or you could try hiking with a real snake.

JAK
05-04-2011, 15:19
What is it about snake appearance or snake behavior that makes them suitable for use as a metaphor for people that are, I don't know, snake like? What is it to be a snake? Is it the deception? What is it about real snakes that makes us consider them to be suitable metaphors for people that are deceptive, or otherwise evil?

Foxes, I get that, in both senses on the metaphor.
But what about snakes?

sbhikes
05-04-2011, 16:14
So you told this guy once that you wanted to hike alone and he listened to you once. Why not tell him again. I think twice should make it pretty clear.

Wise Old Owl
05-04-2011, 20:55
Matty share those campfire stories you used to tell about the time when the chafe developed into a fungus......That you could not get rid of....

sheepdog
05-04-2011, 21:43
What is it about snake appearance or snake behavior that makes them suitable for use as a metaphor for people that are, I don't know, snake like? What is it to be a snake? Is it the deception? What is it about real snakes that makes us consider them to be suitable metaphors for people that are deceptive, or otherwise evil?

Foxes, I get that, in both senses on the metaphor.
But what about snakes?
google "Garden of Eden"

DaveSail
05-05-2011, 21:11
10k what do you mean? i allways have this problem. and im fast and strong. all that happens when you out hike the guy is eventually, weeks later maby, after only a couple zeros you took, he reapears huffing and puffing aand haveing hiked thru nights and zeros and now greets you with a smile and a ,"matthewski! i been chasein you for 2 weeks! whats up? how the hell are you?!". and it starts again. were not talking about anyone here, were talking about stuck like glue folks who attatch themselves to us famouse people who may have a giving problem and then its like you fed a bear and you shouldnt have. this is the serious question. whats the answer 10k? i do want your advice.

Get up way early . BUT , hike BACK to a town or road - crossing .
Take a Zero or two . Eat . Re - Supply . Relax . Party .

Then , get on with it . Your " Snake " friend will race all the way to
Katahdin and never " catch " you !! DVW